Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - The Song of Change page

Songofchange is offline Junior Member

Post Primal Journal - The Song of Change

Shop Now
    It's here, the first day. I've been researching and planning and talking to the friends of mine who have changed their eating, health and fitness this way. So now it's my turn.

I'm a 36 year old woman. I've been overweight since I was 12 (PCOS, which almost no one knew what to do with when I was diagnosed. It was still under debate). I reached my highest weight in my late 20s, having totally given up on pretty much everything (there was a lot going on). I weighed 285 pounds. At 30, I started losing weight. I regulated my food. I had been starving and then going on binges and was getting that under control.

I have always loved exercise. Even at 285 pounds I loved to walk and bike and lift. I was heavy, and unhealthy but unexpectedly fit underneath it all. I stepped up the exercise and loved discovering what my body could do as it got lighter. Within 2 years I was 98 pounds lighter, and hit a wall. I stopped losing weight. I maintained the loss for a couple of years, but then in the last two years it's been coming back on.

I have insulin resistance (it often tags along with PCOS) and have been warned about pre diabetes, and I have these intense carb cravings and crashes sometimes.

My life is more than a little hectic. As a working actress and musician, I juggle five or six part time jobs at any given time, which makes my schedule very varied, with waves of very intense and overwhelming followed by relative calm.

So I'm very excited to start, to get to a place where the carb binges are a thing of the past, to spend less time trying to figure out food around my schedule because I get hungry so often, to get back to dropping weight, and to get healthy and stronger.

This morning I weighed myself.

I am 36 years old.
    I am 5'3
    I weigh 219 pounds.

My plan is simple. Eat primal food. Lots of walking and bodyweight exercises (not today as I have a muscle pull in my back) and some slow running because I love it. Keep sleep a priority (always a struggle with my weird schedule but it's The Most Important thing)

Let's go!

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Welcome Songofchange. Best of luck. Just a bit of unsolicited advice. Get the diet underway and get beyond your withdrawal symptoms (you will have some) before worrying about exercise. Load up on a lot of protein at your first meal of the day. 50 grams or more and you'll diffuse the carb cravings that come later in the day. Keep us informed of your progress.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Thanks for the advice! Exercise is never something I worry about... Most days I walk 4 or 5 miles just to get where I need to be (I can't drive) so I get a lot of moving in without trying.

Day 1

I woke up excited, though also in pain with day 3 of intense back pain. (Sciatic nerve I think) This is the first day with the pain that I can avoid walking 4 or 5 miles so hopefully a genuine rest day will help.

Sleep – 8.5 hours, woke up feeling relatively rested

Weight - 219

9am B – I wasn't terribly hungry so just had a cup of coffee with heavy cream and cinnamon.

11:30am - And then I was hungry, so I'm not sure whether to call this breakfast or lunch. Guess it doesn't matter much.
    2 eggs scrambled with half a tomato, a cup of fresh spinach, half a cup of mushrooms, 1 oz cheddar cheese, plus a dozen raw almonds and 4 strawberries

3pm – Felt a tiny bit hungry so I had a half dozen almonds and a small piece of cheese. That's all it took.

6pm D- 6 oz tilapia, salad of spinach, tomatoes, olives, green peppers, and homemade dressing, sweet potato wedges.

WoD - None. I did a lot of stretching trying to make my back stop hurting, and otherwise rested.

The sweet potato wedges were a really nice treat at the end of the day. It's 7:30 now and I'm comfortable and while my mouth wants me to eat more, I'm not hungry.

I love stats and numbers, so here are today's!

Calories - 1060
    Carbs - 70
    Protein 76
    Fat 56

I also drank lots of water, one glass of diet soda, and two cups of coffee. I plan to phase out the diet soda entirely but I'm leaving it in for now while I adjust to the rest of everything.

I should add that usually I eat a lot more calories than that. I'm trying to just go by hunger though, and let that be my guide.

So here goes with day 2. It was a long day with three jobs so... eating was a little weird but I feel good about managing.

Sleep - Not nearly enough, about 6 broken hours as I had to be up at 5 and my back kept me up. The great thing is though it hurt a LOT LESS when I woke up this morning.

Weight 219.6

B 6am (coffee lasted until about 8:30) - 2 hard boiled eggs, 2 cups coffee with cream

WoD 3 miles walked at about 18 minutes per mile (my commute to the bus)

S - 10am - a dozen raw almonds

L -1pm 6 oz turkey, half an ounce of figs, the other dozen almonds, and 5 dried figs

S - 5pm another cup of coffee with cream

D - 10:30pm 4 oz of pork and a salad with cheese, a glass of spiced rum

The numbers

Calories - 1755
    Carbs - 56
    Fat - 98
    Protein 97

About 8 or so tonight I started to feel very jittery and light headed (too much coffee and not enough food maybe?) Today's calories feel a lot more normal, though I did eat more at lunch than usual. Still, as a long and complicated work day goes I think I made some good choices!

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Your numbers from yesterday look better. Keep it up. If you're fighting any carb cravings, add more protein to breakfast.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

They felt better too. I'm trying to cure myself of eating by the numbers though, so I'm not going to worry about the odd low day.

Today will be interesting. I'm out all day with a friend and her mother. The friend gets what I'm doing, and why, so she won't be weird about whatever I get for lunch at least.

Sleep 8.5 hours (Wow that felt glorious)

Weight 216.2

B – 9am 1 cup coffee with cream and cinnamon, 2 eggs scrambled with mushrooms and cheddar cheese, 3 strawberries

Packed to take with me for the day 1 oz raw almonds and 5 figs.

L – almonds, and a smoothie of strawberries, almond milk, plain yogurt, whey protein and flax seeds. (A decent option while trying to eat at the mall!)

D – 2 hard boiled eggs, 3 oz chicken, 1 oz cheese

WoD none – Spending the day walking around shopping, but my sciatic thing is almost back to not hurting (It only hurts if I sit for too long) so just trying to generally keep moving and not push it.

It was hard not being home much for the second day in a row. I went a little higher with the carbs but not out of hand. I guessed with numbers for the smoothie since I didn't make it myself, but I know the ingredients and that's what I was most concerned with. Over all I felt pretty good! My sciatic is a LOT better and I can't wait to get back to a more normal level of activity. That's my last really intense schedule day until next Friday so I'm looking forward to settling in, and on Monday and Tuesday doing some cooking!

The numbers

Calories 1670
    Carbs 96
    Fat 77
    Protein 80

Day 4

Sleep 9 hours. I love the rare times when I can just sleep and sleep. The wacky schedule makes it hard to keep sleep as much a priority as I want it to be.

Weight 214.8

Breakfast 9:30 coffee with cream, a smoothie made with spinach, strawberries, blueberries, half a banana, yogurt and milk. I'm going to want to tweak this recipe as it's far too high in carbs but I'm also using up the ingredients I have. I was just really not interested in having eggs again. I did though almost reach for the powdered creamer, then did go back to my cream and cinnamon. That felt like a win, making the choice to stay away from the chemicals.

Part of my job for the show I'm stage managing right now is to make toast for the cast to have during one scene. It's very strange to be making toast in the morning and not having even one piece!

Lunch/Snack – a handful of dry roasted almonds and cashews during the show. They were delicious and lovely.

Dinner – Pork ribs grilled, a salad of spinach, olives, tomato, peppers, and cheese, a couple of hard boiled eggs and 2 oz chicken

I got very hungry before dinner, but the kind that I almost didn't feel. Pretty sure I was in that place from about 2pm onward. The nuts satisfied me for a little bit but not terribly long. It wasn't the light headed “eat food or fall over” feeling though, just hunger which in small doses I actually enjoy.

The numbers

Calories 1675
    Carbs 83
    Fat 85
    Protein 84

Annieh is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hey welcome and all the best for your goals.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast