Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Coffee--Why Does it Induce Hunger? page

Peter Parker is offline Member

Coffee--Why Does it Induce Hunger?

Shop Now
    Nothing makes me more hungry than coffee (even BPC--although not as hungry..)

Why?

Teas do the same thing. I suppose I could give up both, but I really love morning coffee routine....

For those of you non coffee drinkers---what Is your routine???

Peace.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Neckhammer is online now Senior Member
    Dunno....for most, including myself, its a hunger suppressant.

But if it does make you hungry then why don' t you just go ahead and eat some eggs and bacon with it for breakfast?

Knifegill is offline Senior Member
    It might be irritatin' yer innards and makin' a feelz that seems a lot like hunger to ya.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

eats.meats.west is offline Senior Member
    Big time appetite suppressor for me. Could be just past association, have coffee, eat breakfast - maybe take some time for body to adjust to not doing both.

Peter Parker is offline Member
    Call me Mr. Opposite. It seems that nearly every personal experience I have is the direct opposite of others.

Ugh. I wish coffee was an appetite suppressant for me--if it were, if drink it all day long...Love the taste, aroma, and buzz, but the hunger that follows is not good....

It may very well be an irritation issue rather than a hunger issue....

When I consume MCT, I have a slight nausea feeling that creates a feeling of fullness, but coffee may does affect my stomach slightly, but not feeling full....

I may need to develop a new morning routine....

Any ideas?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

SJW2 is offline Member
    I have had it act as a suppressant and appetite stimulant.

For me, it seems to be contextual. Are you very low carb? If so, you might actually want to up your carbs. I'm not 100% on this, but I think I noticed that it started to increase my appetite when I was now realize I was going too low carb. Adding a little milk and sugar seemed to help it stave off my appetite as well as including more carbs in general or with breakfast. For example, yesterday I had a blueberry smoothie with a little maple syrup and a coffee with some milk and sugar. My appetite was in check for quite awhile.

But in my more extreme days of low-carbing, IF-ing and so on.. my appetite would go up, and I think it was that my blood sugar was too low. That's my theory.

And for the record, I don't put sugar in my coffee or have smoothies with breakfast every day, but I have a more moderate approach now that I understand my body better. Today I had eggs and bacon with black coffee and my appetite was good. When I'm feeling a little more run down, haven't eaten enough calories or carbs lately or whatever, then I throw in more carbs and food in general and that helps. Take it FWIW.

Rocket Red is offline Junior Member
    Coffee is key to my eating schedule. IF from 7 pm to 11 am everyday, and without coffee at 8-9 am the whole thing comes apart.

I love coffee so this works awesome.

ninani is online now Member
    i read somewhere that caffeine cause some insulin release. maybe after a lot of coffee a man could be in hypoglycemia? dunno, just thinking...

sharperhawk is online now Senior Member
    How many calories are you eating per day? What is your weight, height, and approximate body fat percentage?

mikekola is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Geez, finally someone who has similar experience to mine!!!

I can definitely say that caffeine, especially in coffee, acts like a crazy appetite and sugar cravings stimulant. Take it away for a few days- my appetite is much smaller, calmer and I seem to be craving more natural foods and also can tolerate a lot more carbs of any kind without actually craving more.

Drink tea or coffee, and I can only "control" myself, sort of, on VLowCarb, otherwise I get really serious sugar cravings. As I go with and without caffeine periodically, I can also tell that my overall food intake is higher when with caffeine.

So not only does it influence the amount of food I eat, but also what I crave and "feel like" eating.

Why I still keep caffeine in my life? 'Cause I'm addicted and I do like the way I feel when drinking it.

EDIT: Oh, and you asked why it may be so.
    The reason appears to be "simple", which is: stress. No doubt about it- despite some ultra-conspiracy theories by Peat followers, it's widely accepted, scientifically-proved fact that caffeine induces physiological stress, by messing with adenosine receptors and creating the chain of neurophysiological events following.
    No matter how many tbs of sugar and cream and gelatin you put in it, LOL

The results are... different and unique in every person.
    Similarly, when you speak to different people, one will tell you that stress makes him/her totally unable to eat, another will tell you it makes him/her ravenous. Why wouldn't it be the same with caffeine, as it induces physiological stress.

Everybody can react to it in a slightly different way- what happens with your BG levels, the way it affects metabolism (by increasing fat oxidation, but it doesn't happen without consequences for homeostasis), hormonal system, circadian rhythm varies from person to person. Habitual consumption is yet another animal- it somewhat makes the stress response less pronounced, but it's still there.

Hell- there even are people (like my father, for instance) who can't feel a thing when drinking coffee- although they normally don't do it at all. He wouldn't be able to tell between decaf and very strong robusta brew by his body reaction- there's none.
    Last edited by mikekola; 02-26-2015 at 02:00 PM.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast