Thread: Confessions of a Vargagirl page

vargagirl is offline Junior Member

Red face Confessions of a Vargagirl

Shop Now
    So, this is the start. I am currently 178lbs, 5'4" tall. By the current BMI, my score of 30.8 is borderline obese. Since I have a genetic heritage from Germany, Hungary, England, and Wales, I do have a bone structure that is quite robust, and tend to carry a lot of muscle, so I think I am merely overweight. My waist to height ratio of .52 seems to give credit to this theory. Previously, when I was in my mid-20's, I was as low as 125lbs, but I felt unhealthy, low in energy and it was during a time of stress, during which I often didn't feel like eating. I felt my best when I was closer to 135-140 lbs, when I was living at high altitude, hiking mountain paths, and skiing in the winters.

Then I met my husband and started birth control, gaining weight steadily. We moved away to another province at a lower elevation, we were eating more junk food, and eating more starch because of lower income. At that point, around 2009 or 2010, my husband was diagnosed with diabetes, and I found MDA in an internet search. Thus began a slow, imperfect implementation of a primal lifestyle.

At that time, we only stopped eating junk food, and reduced the use of grains, not cutting it completely. Then we moved again, to a third province, and it all went out the window for a bit.

I got back into it, but for my truck-driving husband, it has been very difficult. We were still not fully primal, but working our way closer. Now this spring we had a leap forward. I did the 21 day challenge in January, and my husband got a much better job that allowed him to be home for dinner every night, and increased our income to allow confidence in our menu choices. My husband also got a scare with his diabetes, and a ED diagnosis points to a future with heart disease, so he's more committed than ever. I also stopped my birth control.

I slip once in a while, like last night, when we went to the movies and I ate an entire bag of wine gums. Mostly, I'm finding following the rules closer easy enough, since I already loved many simple foods, so In the last 5 weeks or so, I've lost 10 lbs. It's not spectacular results, but I really have little to lose compared to many, and that is about 5% of my total weight.

I have noticed that my monthly cycle has an impact on my weight loss. I weigh myself daily, which many frown upon, but my scientific-influenced curiosity won't let me leave it alone, and it is interesting to see small changes daily. Quite often, I would see a drop of fractions every day, then a stall leading up to the monthly event, and a gain for a few days, and then a drop within a day or two of the end. I wonder if others have noticed this?

We haven't been eating pastured and organic, since it is so much more expensive, but maybe later this year, we'll be able to get a beef share, and pastured meats are becoming more available, even in the small town we live in. I am thoroughly enjoying seeing the rapid acceptance of fringe food culture into the mainstream, but it helps that we live in an area where there is a very strong food culture, even if it is vegetarian, and many people hunt as well.

The longer I stick closer to the ancestral eating, the more I am convinced that it is the way that I am meant to go. Even if I do't get as much weight lost as I wish, the effect of the diet is improving my mental health. I feel more focused and able.

Oh, and explaining Vargagirl, I had the good fortune to have a surname in my family tree that works as a reference to the Varga Girl pinups of the early Playboy era. They were always depicted as beautiful curvy girls, full of confidence and fun, comfortable in their own skins.
    Last edited by vargagirl; 02-23-2015 at 01:16 PM.

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Welcome Vargagirl. The journey has to start somewhere. Thanks for sharing your start with us. Best of luck to you and your husband. Keep us posted on your experience.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys