Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MarkF's Journal - a beginner's perspective page

MarkF is offline Junior Member

MarkF's Journal - a beginner's perspective

Shop Now
    I thought I'd give this a whirl and would appreciate any feedback. I'm giving this a try because I've picked up a few running related injuries of late and the guy whose treating me recommended it. I've only done a little research - indeed I'm only halfway through the book. I'll post the first 4 days as separate posts:

Old me:
    So a typical day before this: White coffee with two sugars as soon as I woke. An hour later porridge made with milk and sugar and more sweet coffee. Lunch was probably a ham and cheese or chicken salad sandwich on brown bread, lo fat fruit yogurt, apple. Dinner: Meat, veg, potatoes or chips, gravy OR Pasta and meat sauce OR curry/sweet and sour chicken with brown rice.
    About 6 coffees with 2 sugars all day. Might snack on crisps and biscuits but tried to be good.

New me:
    Day 1:

B: Two soft boiled free range eggs. 1 unsweetened espresso. 1 cup of tea with a splash of milk. 500ml water

L: 100g prepacked chicken breast meat (ingredients chicken and salt!) on top of a bowl of salad (leaves/ peppers/onions/cherry tomatoes

Excercise: 3 mile slow run - 1st run in 4 weeks!

D: 300g lamb gigot chops, carrots, swede turnip, sweet potato, leeks, onions, sweet ramiro peppers, dried herbs and chilli flakes, smoked paprika, splash of e.v. olive oil, 2 tbsp coconut oil - in a big covered dish with chops on top and oven roasted for 2 hour. Gorgeous.

Overall a good day and felt good to start
    Last edited by MarkF; 02-23-2015 at 08:14 AM. Reason: contrast.

Day 2: Got up late (11am!)
    B: 1 x fresh orange, 1 unsweetened espresso. 1 cup of tea with a splash of milk. 500ml water
    L: Only about 1 hour after breakfast: 4 free range egg omlette with onion, sweet pepper, mushroom, cherry tomato and 50g of chicken leftover from yesterday fired in coconut oil

Excercise: Gym work 30 min Aqua jogging with 10 hard 1 min/ easy 1 min intervals. Stretch then 30 min elliptical moderate to hard effort. Foam roll and sauna. Very hungry half way through session

After excerise - 650ml water with 2 x Hi-5 electolyte replacements tablets - salt tablets with no sugar.

D: 450g aged hereford Rib eye steak (grass fed - sure isn't all Irish beef!) cooked rare in butter. 2 big flat white mushrooms, onions and red pepper fried in steak pan. Asparagus sauted in butter and garlic.

S; 2 squares 75% dark choc. 1 espresso with 1/2 tsp of honey (used to take my coffee with 2 generous tsp of white sugar so I'm allowing myself a pinch of honey)

Feel tired today.

Day 3. Work today 8am to 8 pm

Up a 6.AM - Nespresso latte with 1/2 tsp of honey - only 5 hours sleep.
    Excercise: Drive to work then a 5 mile run before work.
    Post run. 1 fresh orange, 500ml water, Tea with a splash of milk

B. 3 rashers (back bacon) and1/2 beef tomato lightly cooked topped with grated cheddar from work canteen. 2 hard boiled free range eggs.

L: Poor selection in the canteen for this diet today. 2 slices baked ham, 2 slices lean Turkey breast, boiled carrots and swede turnip (small portion). Not very satisfying. Also lunch is dinner on a work day
    Wasn't sure about the gravy (probably instant powder) or parsley sauce (thicken with flour maybe?) so didn't partake. Drooled over the roast potaoes, boiled potatoes, golden chips (french fries), herb and onion breadcrumb stuffing and marrowfat peas but left them there. Have since read loads of articles justifying the use of white potatoes in a primal/paleo diet. I knew it would be hard to resist the food in the canteen but I did it.

D: Mixed salad with half can of tuna and 50 chicken breast, olive oil and balsamic.

At this stage paleo tracker tells me I've only consumed something like 1400 cals for the day. I'm a 77kg 40 yr old male whose done a 5 mile run and worked for 12 hours, who is also cutting carbs. This is probably why I feel like quitting, feel tired, feel unfulfilled and starving

S: Got home and tried out a bulletproof coffee. Caffeine this late was a bad idea, but I was full after the coffee. Also demolished a roast chicken leg+thigh portion. Definitely felt full. Bad sleep though.

Day 4. Workday 8am to 8 pm. Rest day from excercise

Up a 7. Coffee with full cream and milk (latte) + 1/2 teaspoon manuka honey. It seems like this honey thing has become a thing.

B: 2 soft boiled free range eggs. 1/2 avocado with olive oil and salt. 1 fresh plum 1 mushroom roasted in pan last night while I was cooking my chicken legs.

L: Canteen again. Better today because the salad bar is better on weekdays. 1 roasted piri pir chicken breast on the bone (skin and wing). Boiled Carrots. Loads of Salad leave - all green some was lettuce dunno what the other stuff was but it tasted ok. Beetroot. Raw peppers, mixed. Latte with whole an milk (sweetened with canderel - I hate artificial sweeteners but this is the only one that tastes ok to me). Medium Banana. 3 pats salted butter

D; Not eaten as yet but here is what I have. 2 chicken legs+thigh portion roasted drizzled in e.v olive oil, covered in salt, pepper, chilli flakes, dried herbs. Sweet potato wedges roasted in same dish (about a handful). Other half of the avocado. 1 fresh plum.

Felt like I was drained all day until after lunch. I don't know if this is going to be feasible going forward with the amount of training I plan to do. I'm going to go the week and do a few sessions and then if its not working out I think I'll have to go back on at least the white potatoes.
    Last edited by MarkF; 02-24-2015 at 04:52 PM. Reason: spelling

Wild Runner is offline Senior Member
    Got home and tried out a bulletproof coffee. Caffeine this late was a bad idea....Bad sleep....
    Ha! I made this mistake once too. Buzzing all night after a 10pm bulletproof coffee!

Sounds like you have a dose of low carb flu. It will pass after a few more days if you stick with it and you'll feel those energy levels start to stabilise. I started low carb primal last year and started running at about the same time. I felt great for a few months but I seemed to struggle to get my running back to where I wanted it. I fell off the wagon over the festive period and this is my first week back again. I'm about to start running again but I've decided to eat more carbs this time-potatoes,rice and starchy veg. Some people manage to adapt to keto running but I struggled to convert and I'm hoping with the extra carbs I'll do better this time. I'm interested to know how it works out for you. Good luck any way!

Thanks for the feedback Wild Runner. Had a big heap of veg for dinner today and felt way better although I lacked something in my morning workout.

Energywise - I'm lacking energy for sure, but its consistent. I don't know if its all in my head or what, but I don't think I got the normal 3pm slump on my two work days this week. I'm getting full at meal times but it doesn't last very long. But when I'm hungry its a low level hunger - I'm not ravenously prepared to eat anything in sight.

So Day 5.

Working nights from 8pm until 8am tomorrow. Had about 9 hours sleep and rested in bed for a bit when I woke up. Finally got up at 11. I do this when I'm on my first night because the alternative is to catch a few hours in the afternoon, but that's when the kids get home from school and I don't want to miss them. So once a week I'm awake for almost 24 hours. It probably doesn't help but I'm used to it.

B: Bulletproof Coffee. Filled me up but I don't think it gave me enough energy for my workout:

Excercise: Running 10 min slow running then 30 second sprints (around 170m) and walk back, repeat x 10, 10 min slow run cool down. Luckily I have access to a track for this. Then into the pool for a quick very slow swim for around 10 minutes. Then planks (3 x 30 secs), pushups (only 10), Clams (20 each side), glute bridge raise (10 each side), Full lower body rope stretch session (about 10-15 minutes) and foam rolled everything from the lower back down. Knackered.
    Missing a bit of pep from the sprints - was it the diet? Or is this a result of being injured?

Post workout snack: Had to wait until I got home. 1 scoop of Whey protein, and an apple. Dinner was nearly ready so I din't want to cook.

Dinner: Great big helping of Roast Loin of Pork - loads of fat on this. A fine big helping of:Swedes(or turnips or rutabaga -whatever you call em - yellow turnips), carrots celery, onion, sweet potato (or is it yam - its orange anyway) all roasted with the pork. Steamed Broccoli and boiled carrot batons - loads of these as well. Threw about 3-4 tablespoons of Salted butter on it. Heaven

Then to work.

Break time is midnight, but I include it in today, because that's what it feels like. I call it lunch.
    L: Shop bought premixed salad with lettuce(3 types), peppers, carrots, black olives, cherry tomatoes. On this I've put some leftover pork and some chicken meat from a roasted leg and thigh. Smothered in Extra Virgin Olive Oil and Balsamic vinegar.

So - I'll have breakfast here before I go home. Its officially tomorrow, but because I haven't slept yet, I going to call it today
    B2: Planned - 2 soft boiled eggs and a plum.

I usually have a bowl of warm porridge before I go home of a night shift. My main concern here is how I'll sleep after eating so much protein rather than a big feed of warm carbs. I'll find out in the morning I suppose
    Last edited by MarkF; 02-24-2015 at 04:53 PM. Reason: spelling

My resolve is fading.

Day 6:

Missed my planned breakfast from the end of the night shift. So went home and went to bed on an empty stomach. Slept from 8am to 2pm. Very tired. Had a latte with a half teaspoon of honey. Went for a 6 mile run. Good God that was hard. Took me an hour. Kept stopping to walk. I'd completely run out of fuel and my quads, hams and hip flexors were killing me after yesterdays sprints. I was not a happy bunny. My reserves are completely empty and I feel crap.

Dinner: Sirloin Beef, Chicken Breast, mushrooms and mixed veg (bag of stuff from the supermarket - cabbage, some other greens, peppers, onions) stir fired in coconut oil. Added dried garlic, ginger, chillis and a big dash of Rebel Chilli sauce (local stuff made from red chilli pepper and lemongrass. Has some added sugar but I don't care) Served with a big feed of sweet potato and celeriac wedges oven roasted with fennel seeds salt. pepper and olive oil.

Late lunch: Night shift again tonight. Same salad as last night except with 2 hard boiled eggs and canned tuna in water.

The big cheat: Bit of a celebration here at work so I'm having some cake. All I know is that there's chocolate in it and I'm having some. I'm in two minds about it though. One half of me says "You worked hard, trained hard and eat well all week - you deserve a treat!". The other half says "You've done so well with your plan all week - don't ruin it now by eating cake!!". I find night shifts hard on the pysche sometimes. Very easy to get tired and cranky and just give up. I don't have a great history moodwise so I'm always on the look out in case my mood begins to slip. I'll give it another day or two and see how I feel then.

I'm no expert but give it a wee bit longer. It does work you just need time to adapt. Your meals sound delicious and healthy but maybe you do just need more carbs for your level of activity. You probably don't have weight to lose so you don't need to be down at ketosis level. I'm guessing from what you are eating, minus the chocolate cake, you are pretty close to it. Maybe you need a carb refeed to replenish your glycogen levels? And maybe you are low in salt? I remember I had weak legs running until maceyuk suggested adding low salt to my water. I'm still learning myself and you are a better runner than me so make up your own mind but just don't quit so soon.

Thanks again Wild Runner. I'm definitely going to Carb refeed probably a couple of times over the next couple of weeks (5k race this Sunday, 10 mile race next week). Weight wise, I'm ok where I am I think. I'm male, 40, 6ft tall and 75kg. My only goal would be to replace some body fat with muscle and get stronger (must lift heavy things more often!!) I was definitely spent after the sprint session yesterday - my first sprints in ages - so a six mile run today without having eaten for 15 hours was probably a bit ambitous to be honest. I'm also just coming back from an ankle issue which had me pool running for weeks so that probably isn't helping. As far as the salt thing is concerned - I generally drink about 650ml of water with two Hi-5 zero electrolyte replacement tablets (no sugar in these and about 400mg Sodium in 2 tablets). As for being a better runner I don't know about that. Better to me is injured less often. Anyway, the spirits were low when I wrote the post above. I'm half way through my last night shift of the week before my 3.5 days off so the mood has risen somewhat. I just want to eat healthily. I cut out loads of rubbish two years ago and I've dropped 20kg since then. I also gave up smoking and took up exercise at the same time. Basically though I was filling myself with porridge, potatoes, brown rice, pasta and brown bread, avoiding saturated fats, but also drinking sugary coffee six times a day!! I can eat loads of the things I love on the Primal Blueprint, but I miss the convenience of grains - bread, pasta and porridge are all easy. Ryvita and cream cheese makes a quick snack. I just haven't found my replacements for quick and easy yet. I am find this a bit time consuming, but I'm hoping I'll get into the swing of it and it'll become second nature after a while. On that note, I think I'll try my hand at some banana pancakes with whatever berries are in the shop for when I get out of bed tomorrow afternoon.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    For being new to this you seem to have things pretty well sussed out. A big change from what you were eating before though but I'm glad those spirits are back up again. How was your banana pancake? Tricky to toss?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast