Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Go forth and lift heavy things... page

Tonya Richelle is online now Senior Member

Go forth and lift heavy things...

Shop Now
    I feel like I've asked this in a round about way a couple times. And I'm still not sure I know what to do. I'm game for trying "heavy lifting"....but where do I start? I have a membership at Golds, so access to weights is no problem. How does a beginner begin heavy lifting? Go ask one the the big, bulky, scary, grunting guys down in the pit to check my form? Yikes. Must it be a squat with a bar and weights?

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Tonya Richelle is online now Senior Member
    So...now I'm feeling silly. Just realized that the Scientist gave me good advice several days ago on another thread and said to start with deadlifts. Guess I'll do some research on proper form and try it!

edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Welcome to our world!! Come be a badass! 👏👏💪💪😊😊👍

Buy and read this book.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/098252...dpL&ref=plSrch

http://startingstrength.com

http://www.girlsgonestrong.com/start-here/

Jefferson1775 is online now Senior Member
    My advice would be:

Buy the book Starting Strength. It covers the form (and a whole lot of other stuff) for basic barbell exercises.
    Do the program in it for a few months.

That should give you a good start to lifting heavy things.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

OldSchhool is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonya Richelle View Post
    Yikes. Must it be a squat with a bar and weights?

Not at all, plenty of great alternative leg machines out there that can more specifically shape the legs.

Pamela M is offline Senior Member
    Tonya, what I've realized since making my own enquiries in regards to squats, is how proper technique completely affects the possibility to how much weight you can handle safely. There is some excellent advice in this forum, and being a member of Golds, I'm guessing you can get a lot of hands on help. Any ways, my two cents worth -- start light enough that ensures proper technique, then graduate bit by bit. The moment technique suffers, lighten up until you're ready to go heavier.

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    I like the Wendler 5-3-1 program, mainly because I can't do cleans from Starting Strength LOL. No coordination.
    If you start light and work your way up, you won't get hurt. Start with the bar.
    Practice form- You Tube videos are great- places like TNation etc. have a lot of videos with good form.

If you do it right, it should feel challenging but comfortable when you get to heavy weights. Often for me, my closer to max lifts feel the best. The worst? Squats with an empty bar. My best lifts this morning were my max sets.

If I were you, I'd jump right into a Wendler or Starting strength program, start with the bar on each lift even though it will likely be stupid easy and watch those around you. If you see someone who comes in regularly and looks very competent, ask them for help or an eye on your lifts if you want a person there. Many "trainers" are useless, and so are many lifters.

Anyhow the Wendler and Starting Strength programs work, make sense, don't overload you and challenge you the right amount. From there, it's just getting your form right. The way I roll, if it feels right, it is good form. It can be hard to really feel your form until the weight gets heavy though.

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

The Scientist is offline Senior Member
    Tonya,
    I may have missed this somewhere, but the obvious question to me is: what exactly are your goals? If you had to rank these by importance (or avoidance), where do they fall?

Increase in strength
    Increase in muscle size
    Loss of body fat
    General fitness
    General health and disease avoidance
    Others?

Also, a few other important questions:
    How many days a week do you plan on lifting (this will determine programming possibilities)?
    Do you plan to do aerobic work on top of your lifting (not necessary, but possible)?

Eich is offline Senior Member
    Body by science. Hit the ground running, then worry about manly barbell stuff without being in a hurry and only if you wanna

The Scientist is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Eich,
    Isn't Body by Science a high-intensity (HIT) program based around pushing hard to failure once a week? And don't they also recommend using machines instead of free weights? I can't see nay merits of something like this, especially for a beginner. Someone just starting who pushes that hard will be wrecked and sore and really hate what they are doing, and the machine work (especially for the lower body) is a terrible idea.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast