Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When do we burn only dietary fat? page

Malkavian is offline Junior Member

When do we burn only dietary fat?

Primal Fuel
    Hi, I learnt in this topic that I might not be leaning out because I use too much fat in my meals. Perhaps my body burns only dietary fats? Is there an approximate % of the calorie intake that when containing too much fat, there is no need for the body to burn body fat?

I've heard of the issue of dietary fat before, but there seem to be split opinions about it. Some say the dietary fat will just circle your system until it is used, no storage whatsoever, and some says that the excess fat has to go somewhere and that we either store it or get rid of it when using the toilet.

Malkavian

MGV
    MGV is offline Junior Member
    When you burn more calories than you take in, your body burns the stored fat.

Vicki

Fatkid is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post
    Sounds like you are falling to the ol' "Calorie in: Calorie out" adage... ... not necessarily the case...

Whereas I don't really have a good answer to your questions... calorie context is important to keep in mind IMHO...

As far as storing dietary fat goes... remember 'Carbs drive insulin drives fat' ...

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MGV View Post

Vicki
    Completely incorrect. Have you even read the PB? The number of calories is nowhere near as important as the type of calorie. It's the nutrients, not the caloric load, that matter.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Completely incorrect. Have you even read the PB? The number of calories is nowhere near as important as the type of calorie. It's the nutrients, not the caloric load, that matter.
    According to Mark, calories DO matter.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Calories do matter for some of us. I already experimented early on with PB and calories, and I found that if I ate the same calories as I did on the CW diet, I still did not lose weight. If I dropped them down, I lost weight. Others seem to have a difference experience, but that's just me.

Mr.M is offline Senior Member
    Calories definitely matter.

That said, our understanding of calories is probably not as in-depth as it could/should be.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Calories do matter for some of us. I already experimented early on with PB and calories, and I found that if I ate the same calories as I did on the CW diet, I still did not lose weight.
    Same here.

remember 'Carbs drive insulin drives fat'
    I have read some other sources lately that take this further, to 'Carbs drive insulin drives muscle.' In other words, to build new muscle it requires insulin as well (that's how I interpret it, anyway).

As an example, there was a book out quite a few years ago called "BodyFueling." The author used to work out fasted and had done so 3-5x/week for a long time but could not lose her last 15 lbs of fat (she was "skinny-fat"). But after she researched biochemistry/nutrition, she would only work out after eating carbs or carbs+protein. After 1 year, she had GAINED 15 lbs but lost 3 dress sizes in the bargain. Complete change in body composition but she appeared to need an insulin kick to make it happen.

In Bodyfueling, author Robyn Landis said that fat only burns in the presence of carbohydrate, that the carbohydrate was like the pilot light for the furnace. This was written years ago so some may chalk it up as "conventional wisdom." But when I think about her personal experience and how much better her results where when she made sure to work out "properly fueled," well, the results seem to speak for themselves.
    Last edited by Canarygirl; 07-21-2010 at 02:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Canarygirl View Post
    Same here.
    As an example, there was a book out quite a few years ago called "BodyFueling." The author used to work out fasted and had done so 3-5x/week for a long time but could not lose her last 15 lbs of fat (she was "skinny-fat"). But after she researched biochemistry/nutrition, she would only work out after eating carbs or carbs+protein. After 1 year, she had GAINED 15 lbs but lost 3 dress sizes in the bargain. Complete change in body composition but she appeared to need an insulin kick to make it happen.
    Trying to look into this segment with more detail...can't find the information...

Do you know exactly what she means by "working out fasted", her workout regimen, and the terms of her diet on a daily basis?

You know, in reading some of the author's website, its pretty obvious she's fairly conventional wisdom based. Haha, she also wrote the wrong website address for her own website in a letter to a magazine.

Anyway - she makes some valid points as well, but I think her overall premise is just to be "anti low-carb craze" while still conforming to mainstream sentiment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast