Thread: Toxin help...termite fumigation

Toxin help...termite fumigation

Shop Now
    I have to get my house that I rent fumigated with Vikane (sulfuryl fluoride) and was wondering if there is anyway to prepare for that other than the typical info that you find on the dow website (dow makes this pesticide)

I recently found out that I may have adrenal fatigue and possibly other hormonal problems. I think getting this done now will hinder my recovery possibly delay or even halt. I don't want to be paranoid but I am worried about the long term results of this chemical although they say this gas dissipates into the atmosphere (that is a problem too) and when it is no longer detected in the air when testing, it is safe to return. I am not trusting them, and according to the epa.gov website, it says it penetrates through walls and pores of wood, and the uptake by materials of the structure is "low". And although it leaves no "residue" if it can penetrate wood, who knows about mattresses and furniture. It even says on the termite website that mattresses for newborns need to be removed.

I can't afford to move anywhere and the landlords are not being nice about it and do not want to do alternative options. I was also told if I didn't like it, I should move. The house has to be tented and gased.

Since I have to live there til who knows when, at least another year or so, is there anything I can do? Houseplants? Himalayan salt crystal lamps? Burn sage? I am not trying to be funny but I am trying to find some humor in this dire situation and I like alternative methods. Has anyone had to deal with toxins like this? Any help is appreciated! Thanks.

Anni

Obviously you've read all the assurances by industry and government that there is no toxic residue of Vikane.

The good news is, it has a very short half-life of as little as 20 minutes. Besides dispersion into the air, it also degrades rapidly. It has no residual benefit to kill termites or bedbugs and by industry definition, it in fact has no toxic residue, despite its ability to penetrate porous materials like wood or cloth or paper.

The only potential risk I see is the fact that its rapid degradation is to a fluoride and a sulphate. You'll be OK with either of those if you avoid ingesting them. I'd seal or remove any food stuff or drinking water. If any fluoride residue is left behind in clothing or paper goods in the house, I don't believe it will be any more risk than the residue left behind by washing clothes in fluoridated municipal water.

With a little caution regarding exposed food and drinking water, I think the risk is minimal of it hindering your adrenal recovery. Relax and focus on securing the food and water in the house, or removing it, and you'll be fine.
    Last edited by John Caton; 02-20-2015 at 03:10 AM.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Thanks, I think I'll go above and remove the clothing and also any food in the house to avoid the fluoridation problem. But I have not checked the water quality where I live I may do so just to see how much fluoride is in the water. I assume that washing clothing thereafter still would be okay despite how much fluoride? Thanks for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by pinknika View Post
    Thanks, I think I'll go above and remove the clothing and also any food in the house to avoid the fluoridation problem. But I have not checked the water quality where I live I may do so just to see how much fluoride is in the water. I assume that washing clothing thereafter still would be okay despite how much fluoride? Thanks for your help.
    Washing clothes with fluoridated water leaves very little residue. I doubt it's a problem. I only used that as an example that the fluoride residue from Vikane would also be very little. Not enough to be of concern. I would just protect foodstuffs.
    Stop by to visit at http://primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Shop Now
    Hey I think you should get expert help in this. I just used the professional services of Termite inspection Port Macquarie company and got really impressed with their work. So I suggest you too to try their services.