Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Bret Mattingly) page

BretMattingly Guest

Shop Now

Alright, I've been looking forward to this. A brief bit about myself:

I'm 17 years old. Been Primal for about 2 months. Before that, I'd spent about a year on the Zone diet. I carb-binged about once a month, because I was still afraid of fat. Go figure. I'm about 165lbs, unsure of BF%.

Goals:

-No more than 3 instances of CAFO meat a week (That makes 3 meals/1 Day.)

-No CAFO eggs or dairy.

-Log daily food intake once per week.

-Intermittent fast at least 12hrs, once per week (No doing this one and the last on the same day! )

-Consistent bedtime

-ZERO inactive days, barring unforeseen illnesses (which shouldn't happen, right? )

-Increase DL, bench, and squat by at least 20lbs each.

Explanations: I'm trying to prepare myself for a sustainable Primal lifestyle in college and beyond. So while my family does buy a great deal of real food, I'm paying for my own meat/eggs/dairy. I'm trying to shed the last few pounds of body fat (my six-pack is almost here! ) while also building muscle. I'm no longer allowing myself inactive days. HIIT sprints take 15 minutes. Why should I allow myself the excuse?

One final note: Naturally, I'll be keeping this updated, but if anyone happens to respond to this, I'll return the favor and read up on your journals as well. We're all in this together (cue the music), so it's important we support each other.

BretMattingly Guest

Damn it. Today is not a good day. It appears everytime I finally am content with things, all the mystical forces in the universe conspire to rally and kick me in the ass, and not in the motivational way.

10pm last night: Couldn't sleep.

10:30pm: Got on computer, looked at college information.

10:32pm: Unleashed emotional cacophony of "Am I doing the right thing?/Can I do this?/etc, etc."

1am: Finally suppress fear enough to get to sleep.

6am: Wake up for work, hear an argument downstairs. Joy.

1pm: Get off work. Eat steak. Hungry, really hungry. Drink loads of (good) milk.

2pm: Nap.

4pm: Awake from nap. Knee is in pain. Prevents me from doing sprints today, like I'd planned.

Sounds like I'm making a bunch of excuses. I really don't like today...

BretMattingly Guest

Wrapping up today:

One steak, sauteed/pan roasted in EVOO.

One large salad, some radishes, with salt and sesame oil.

An unnecessarily high amount of low-temp pasteurized (hereafter LTP) milk.

A bowl of chicken tortilla soup (fear not, I didn't eat the tortilla.)

Bad day. Lots of personal issues. Tired. Will go into more detail later.

Jenni39 is offline Junior Member

HA, Bret! A long time ago, when I worked in the sales department of a large hotel in the Chicago area, I had to fill out a "call sheet" for all the companies I visited (trying to get their visitors and trainees to stay with us). I used to write all kinds of goofy stuff on the sheets because I KNEW no one would ever read them! Anyway, I wanted to respond to your post, just so you know.... you're not alone! (I'm watching Dances with Wolves at the moment, and the music seems appropriate!)

Jenni

BretMattingly Guest

Haha, thanks so much Jenni!

Good morning everyone! Today is going to be a much better day. Gonna sprint here in a second once my coffee makes its way through me!

Hi Bret! I appreciate your comments on my thread!

Hey, is that a typo or are you 17 years old? Hate to say it, but I'm going to have to get all motherly on you about that tequila comment if you're only 17!

Exercise has been a part of my life for years. I finished my 4th round of P90X at the beginning of this summer, and I've been "mixing it up" since then. My "play" goal for this challenge is because my current workouts are so structured. I'd really just like to get some exercise by goofing around, playing frisbee or whatever.

Hope you're having a good day!

PattySt Guest

Hi Brett- Good for you for educating yourself and putting forth the effort to eat right. Most teenagers eat like crap! And they all have personal issues.

Finishing high school and going off to college is stressful! Remember Mark's 80/20 rule. You sound like a perfectionist so it may be hard to relax about it a little. Please don't be too hard on yourself. You'l enjoy your successes more if you don't worry about the slip ups.

I missed the tequila remark so I won't go motherly on you

Peace and good luck!

BretMattingly Guest

First, responses:

Jenni: No typo, but fear not. Among my many issues, your typical suburban teenage drinking is NOT one of them. Tequila is just a running joke I have since Mark announced tequila has no carbs. :P

How's P90X, by the way? I'm still working starting strength type things, but I'll likely move to CrossFit once I can do a freakin' deadhang pull up.

PattySt: Thanks for the viewpoint. I am indeed a perfectionist, and I won't lie, college is scaring the **** out of me. I'll blog on that later to fill you guys in, it's a bit complex and very close to my heart.

Today: Bacon, eggs, onion, peppers, dark chocolate, salmon (wild-caught), kale, and peanut butter (damn it!)

Workout was sprints. My heart really wasn't in it today. Only 4 on-off cycles.

P90X rocks! I still can't do a deadhang pull up either. I keep one foot on a chair, but I can do a whole lot more of them that way that I could a year ago!

Do you mind my asking where you'll be going to school?

BretMattingly Guest

I'm still looking around. I've got my heart set on Berklee School of Music, though. There's a great deal of fear and trepidation around that, however. (Which, again, I promise I'll go into later).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast