Thread: Is this right place to post?

Is this right place to post?

Shop Now
    So I did paleo about a year ago. Great results, felt great etc. Then in June my sister went to recovery for pain pill addiction. I helped take care of her two small kids plus mine, I got off track from major stress eating and gained about 10 lbs.
    My husband and I decided to start a 30 day paleo challenge 1st of Feb. Started seeing drastic results, things were going great again. Then last Monday we had to do a family intervention with my sister because she started her addiction again. During the intervention it caused a lot of nasty scars to reopen between her, our dad and me and I've been stress eating again and just have this 'I don't care about anything' attitude.
    I hurt because I've always tried to be a support system for her and after a 3 year battle I just want to wash my hands of everything. And our dad has been an enabler for her and I suffer consequences from his anger about the situation with my sister.
    I'm reading these success stories to try to get motivated again and I still just don't care. I want to especially since my husband was seeing such great improvements in his blood sugars.
    Honestly though, I'm just in the mood to cry in a dark room and stuff my face with chocolate. Guess I'm just too tired from trying to be the strong one.

This is the right place to post.

Sorry for the pain you're feeling. As much as we might want, we cannot walk the path for another. Your sister has experienced the benefits of recovery. Hopefully, she'll use those memories to return to it. There's always hope.

Meanwhile, cry if you must and eat some satiating chocolate. Then, for your sake and your husband's, come back to primal.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    +1
    Best wishes for patching things up with family and my prayers for your sister.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Hey there! Are you receiving your own counseling during this time? Eventually the well dries up and we have nothing more to give UNLESS we ourselves are constantly replenished/refilled. This can happen through our spiritual beliefs, hobbies, counseling, or whatever. You sound drained, which makes sense given your circumstance! Please seek some support for yourself. A weekly counseling group for families of addicts? A weekly meeting with a pastor? Whatever can help. God bless YOU and your family!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

We have to give ourselves care in order to have care to give others. You'll get through this, because getting through is your only option. Take care of yourself, take all the time you need, there's no set schedule, and you'll see the other side soon enough.

Condolences. I Hope everything sorts itself out

we all get the "I don't care" days now and then. That's normal. Trick is to get in the habbit of never allowing such days to become more than 1-2. It's like taking a weekend of your daily routine, but then you have to get back to work: work on yourself, your happiess, your wellbeing, cos when you loose those, you won't be of any use to anybody anymore, just more misery needing help.
    I know it's real sad when a close loved one doesn't whant to help himself. Outsiders can only set an example and put on patches, but fixing the cause really isn't up to anybody but the victim herself. If you can brainwash yourself with that idea, it helps with coping: you keep on patching and setting an example cos that's all you can do and try to feel fullfileed by knowing you're doing all, and the best you can.

at least that's 5pence worth of life experience...

Getting myself accustomed to eating darker and darker levels of chocolate has helped me through those rough days. It also helped to create a large distaste for sugar products, as they really have no real flavor. Starting at 60% with flavors like sea salt and almond etc, and now I'm in the mid to high 80% range. They are usually available at any local Kroger store etc. Hope this helps.

Also, I agree with post #4. If you don't help yourself, you cannot help anyone else. You must be secure with your own self, so you can be strong with someone else. In the words, of someone I look up too: "I've been set free from myself, so I'm therefore set free from you and you can't hurt me anymore". Get yourself healthy in body and soul, and then you can better help others. It's like the illustration from an airline, in the event of an emergency, you must get your own oxygen mask on, so you don't pass out while you're trying to help others. I highly recommend meeting with a pastor etc that you and your husband trust, on a weekly basis.

Best of luck to you.

Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Fishingirl, if you are still out there, how has your situation worked out? It has been close to a year since you initially posted, and only the one post.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Shop Now
    It has been close to a year since you initially posted, and only the one post.