Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journey * by tigermind page

tigermind is offline Junior Member

Primal Journey * by tigermind

Shop Now
    This actually is my 2nd primal journey. My first one lasted from August 2013 till January 2014. Early December 2013 I had lost a ton of weight (20kgs/44lbs). Everybody commented on me looking good. I hit a plateau and I started eating less and less with no fruit, no nuts, really low carb and lots of IF. In the end of December I felt terrible emotionally and after a terrible bout of constipathy in January, I started eating grains and sugar again topped with lots of guilt. I felt so great for a little while, which made me want to continue eating the carbs, except for the huge guilt, the weight gain, the return of the problems that went away while eating primally.

Somehow I couldn't get back on the Primal band wagon until last week. It clicked and there I went. All non-primal foods in the bin. Bought lots of veg and eggs. Organic meat and butter. Located the coconut oil in the cupboards. There I went. In it for life. Did I say I gained all the weight back? On a vegetarian diet bordering on veganism? Hell yeah. So here I am. I learned my lessons:

So what went wrong last time?
    1. Focused too much on weight loss. This time I only weigh once a month, tops.
    2. Went too hungry. Now: when hungry, I eat, lots of saturated fat.
    3. Constipathy. Now: fat plus lots and lots of veg. Should do the trick, right?
    4. Went very low carb. Now: keep eating fruit or nuts every day.
    5. Expected everyone to follow my lead and go primal too. Now: expect everyone to keep eating cw.

No (more) looking back. This is it. A way of life. For me. For feeling great.

John Caton is online now Senior Member
    Welcome back to Primal, Tigermind. Sorry that you left, but glad you came back. Thanks for sharing the experience. Chances are, others reading this will take inspiration from your story and make a decision to start their Primal journey, or maybe like you, return to it. Stay in touch frequently, please.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Thanks John! Last night I read a post on health-bent about Megan doubting Primal/Paleo, which made me doubt my recent choices of going Primal for life. I also had suffered some side-effects from doing Primal my way (VLC, everyday IF, not eating much fat, probably too low cal). I was good too quit again already. Had a spelt cracker for dinner after huge primal breakfast and late lunch. When I went to sleep, disappointed and all, I had my cough back. There was mucus in my throat that had annoyed me every night fir months. It had been gone for how long? Could it been for almost as long as I had been Primal? Hrm.

This morning I got up at 8, did some body weight exercises (which is new), wasn't hungry yet, so skipped breakfast and decided to do Primal on different terms this time. I'm in it for life so I'm not in it for weight loss only. I will eat fruit and nuts as I please. Plus a dried fig here and there. Meat, cheese, lots of veg, and fish, if I dare. Plus sometimes a small potato or some rice. Coconut milk in my tea. Coconut oil, butter, olive oil. Tomato sauce, fresh juice. Just no grains and no processed crap. Should be healthy! Can't think of any micro/macro-nutrient missing.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    That's the spirit, Tigermind. Welcome along on this ongoing journey and hope you are soon feeling great.

Agree with you on the "other people" thing, it tends to drag one down but we can't let it.

Thanks Annieh! Because this way of life differs so much from the way everybody else lives, it's especially important to brace yourself against discouragement. Especially when things get rough.

Yesterday afternoon I had a huge bout of doubt after my bike ride (very slow and long). After reading a magazine that wrote negatively about paleo and featured pictures of my favorite candy, I told myself that I'd been deprived of yummy food in my childhood (due to my strict parents), so I shouldn't deprive myself now.

This morning I made a mushroom omelette with bacon for breakfast and told myself that I'd been deprived of good fat as a child, so shouldn't deprive myself now. I had lots of bread as a child, I shouldn't poison myself now. Ha!

Doing fine today. Am tired because of the Primal transition, I think. Also have sore muscles from the body weight exercises and the bike ride yesterday. Back, legs, stomach, arms. I aim for a quiet evening, early bedtime and lots of rest.

Super tired today. Only ate breakfast around noon and felt uneven for the rest of the day. Will eat breakfast earlier and not try to IF already, which probably is way too soon. After two weeks I'm probably not a fat burner yet.

On the positive side, my cheeks feel much smoother (which was the direct reason I thought of starting again two weeks ago) and it's quieter, more relaxed in my head. Thoughts aren't jumping up and down anymore to get heard. That's interesting to watch. My muscle ache is less intense than it was yesterday.

So overall I'm positive. I need to eat more though, for now.

HeuristicFireFlower is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigermind View Post
    ....bacon for breakfast and told myself that I'd been deprived of good fat as a child, so shouldn't deprive myself now. I had lots of bread as a child, I shouldn't poison myself now. Ha!
    Ha! Excellent. That's going to stay with me. See, you've already inspired someone to stay on Primal and find what is great about it.....and tastier than SAD "foods"!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks, HeuristicFireFlower. Good to know! That kind of knowledge helps me stay primal when I have my doubts.

Today I ate more regularly, but not more food. I want to eat more tomorrow to see how I feel doing that. I made a 4 egg omelet with broccoli this morning and took half of it with me for lunch. I ate it with bacon and goat's cheese. The other half I'll have tomorrow. I ate cold cuts with pickles for breakfast, cheese and nuts around 5 PM and avocado mixed with half a cucumber at 8 PM. I think it's not enough, but I'm not inspired what else to eat. Something warm would be nice, at 8 PM, like a juicy steak with veg, but I'm too tired to make it, plus I don't like eating something that substantial that late. Maybe some ground meat with tomato sauce and pre-cut veg, that sounds both doable and appealing. Hrm. Plan: get some ground meat and pre-cut veg. Yay! We've got a plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast