Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coconut Oil / FitDay page

breadsauce is offline Senior Member

Coconut Oil / FitDay

Shop Now
    Hi. I've been checking quite a lot of what I eat on Fitday and am amazed how hard it is to reach the RDA in some things.

Then, I checked what FitDay has to say about coconut oil. It appears to rate it very low - no minerals at all recorded and only 1% vitamin K.

I assume that they are meaning a very purified, industrial oil whereas I am using virgin coconut oil.

It smells and tastes lovely - surely it has lots of minerals and some vitamins in there?

My concern now is that other foods I am eating may not be registering on the FitDay site as many vitamins and minerals as I am actually consuming?

shannon is offline Senior Member
    i don't think fitday is very accurate when it comes to certain foods. i agree on the coconut oil. i'm pretty sure the numbers are off and that's why i don't worry if i'm low in vit/min. i use it sometimes just to get the carb content out of my meals.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shannon View Post
    i don't think fitday is very accurate when it comes to certain foods. i agree on the coconut oil. i'm pretty sure the numbers are off and that's why i don't worry if i'm low in vit/min. i use it sometimes just to get the carb content out of my meals.
    +1

There are so many variables when it comes to trace minerals, et al. that any on-line database is only good at the macro level.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Chubbygirl is offline Member
    I've come to think that coconut oil & milk have some kind of cult following. The only thing I can find actual FACTUAL information on as to what part of a coconut is worth consuming, is the water which is loaded with potassium. As for the rest of it, it just tastes REALLY good but can't find any hard proof that it contains any valuable nutrition.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubbygirl View Post
    I've come to think that coconut oil & milk have some kind of cult following. The only thing I can find actual FACTUAL information on as to what part of a coconut is worth consuming, is the water which is loaded with potassium. As for the rest of it, it just tastes REALLY good but can't find any hard proof that it contains any valuable nutrition.
    Try here

http://www.coconutresearchcenter.org/nutrition.pdf

and here

http://lifestyle.iloveindia.com/loun...onut-1718.html

seriously? i'm sure if you eat it you'll recognize its benefits.

dfast is offline Member
    Hurray for MCTs .

Quote Originally Posted by dfast View Post
    Hurray for MCTs .
    i second that!

Chubbygirl is offline Member
    Oh wow, you mean "the coconut research center" has a website that hails COCONUTS as being a nutritional wonder food.... what a surprise! So this must be a superfood too... http://www.wonderbread.com

Hey, I like 'em, just don't believe the hype that's all.

Oh wow, you mean "the coconut research center" has a website that hails COCONUTS as being a nutritional wonder food.... what a surprise! So this must be a superfood too... http://www.wonderbread.com

Hey, I like 'em, just don't believe the hype that's all.
    hey, nobody said that you had to take the stuff. let the rest of enjoy it though:-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast