Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Phase 1 Complete. Down 81 Pounds page

jrosto is online now Senior Member

Phase 1 Complete. Down 81 Pounds

Shop Now
    Hello, my name is John and I have been following the PB since May 5th, 2014. When I started I weighed 251 lbs with a BMI of 33.2. I was officially obese.

I also had a disease called Idiopathic Pulmonary Fibrosis (IPF). Basically my lungs were reacting to some past damage and had gone into overdrive creating scar tissue. Basically my lungs were turning into raisins. Outside of a lung transplant, there is no real treatment for this disease. There have been a couple drugs approved that do help some people slow the disease and more in the clinical trial pipeline that look even more promising.

I started with the 21 Day Plan, and due to the IPF, I had to make some modifications to the exercise portion of the plan. I was on supplemental oxygen for any exertion at all. I used up to 8 lpm continuous flow for moderate exercise. Exercise exertion was limited by my blood oxygen saturation. It really is best to keep it above 90%.

I needed to lose weight. I needed to lose weight so my body didn't waste oxygen feeding fat. I also needed to lose weight so I could be considered for a lung transplant. My lung capacity was less than 50% of normal. My lungs ability to transfer oxygen to my blood was also less than 50% of normal. So basically with each breath I took, I was only getting somewhere around 25% of the oxygen of normal lungs.

Why did I choose the Primal Blueprint? A couple of reasons really. I already know that my body does not like sugar. Sugary foods made me cough and short of breath. Carbs have helped make me fat. Makes sense to cut out those two foods.

Another reason is that I know a man, Bill Vick, who has IPF and ran a 5K last March. Bill introduced me to the Primal Blueprint via an IPF forum. Bill and I share a doctor and I can verify that his story is real, gave me some hope.

If you are interested, you can read my 21 Day (and beyond) Total Body Transformation journal here.

By October I had lowered my BMI to 28, the maximum BMI to be considered for a lung transplant at UT Southwestern in Dallas. During the transplant evaluation they found that outside of my lungs, I was very healthy. I passed the evaluation and was placed on the transplant list in November. I continued to lose weight, exercise as I could, and try to keep as healthy as possible.

On December 31st was called into the hospital and early January 1st I received a bilateral lung transplant. The procedure went very well and my recovery was amazingly quick. I was released from the hospital after only 9 days. That is exceptionally quick. Most lung transplant stays are at least twice that. I credit following the PB to my quick recovery. My core strength was good for the condition the rest of my body was in. I had worked hard to build a good gut bug colony, and I think they really helped me out there. I had also lost more weight so it was easier for me to get out of bed and do physical therapy quickly.

I have had some issues. I came home of a feeding tube because of some swallowing issues following the procedure. That was resolved quickly. I also had an acute rejection issue that sent me back to the hospital for a week. I am at the tail end of that and recovering nicely. I am no longer on oxygen and my blood oxygen saturation is normal.

Prior to the transplant, following the PB really helped reduce the symptoms of the IPF. Cutting out all refined sugars and grains got rid of my IPF cough. The cough can be debilitating for many IPF patients, and mine went away. I also had some skin sores that would not go away until I started following the PB. Within a couple of weeks they were gone. My acne also went away. Add to these successes my weight loss and increased energy levels, it was easy to stay on plan.

When I started last may I weight 251 lbs. I wore XXL shirts and size 42 pants. Today I weigh 170 lbs. I wear L shirts and very comfortable size 34 pants. I think phase one, weight loss, is completed successfully

Now for phase 2. I am very weak. The disease and the transplant have left me very weak. I have a 10 lb lifting restriction due to the fact that they cut me from armpit to armpit, cracked my sternum and opened my chest up like a clam shell to do the transplant. My phase 2 goal is to get back into shape, build my endurance, and... look good nekkid.

I go to Pulmonary Rehab twice a week. That is basically physical therapy that specializes in helping folks with lung issues. I also have a recumbent bike at home and try to get out and walk daily. I purchased exercise bands and use the lightest to work out my arms.

My number one goal, which was suggested to me by a forum friend, Narrowminded, is to do a pull-up to my transplant scar. That's going to take awhile, but it is a serious goal. That'll be my next success post

Sorry these are not the best images, but this was me last may, and me yesterday.

764EE06C-ADCD-4D18-A077-3EF2A5B8D08F.jpg 883C409F-08D1-49C3-8A3E-DA05F7F533BF.jpg

happyhel is offline Senior Member
    Although I can't view your photos I don't need to. Your post blew me away. You are an inspiration. And your journey is inspirational.

I live in the uk. In Nov last year my 50 year old aunt passed away very very unexpectedly of a stroke. She was a massive advocate of transplant abs wad on the donor register. Everything they could harvest they did and we are very blessed to know she saved numerous lives. I always was on the transplant register but her death made many others sign up.

People like yourself make me feel so proud of my aunt but also so proud of humanity. How amazing we are to be able to do that.

All the best with your journey

Xx

Elizac is offline Junior Member
    Hey Jrosto, thank you so much for sharing your story which is truly inspirational to me. What a journey you've been on. Best wishes to you as you recover completely from you transplant.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    I can't imagine there ever being a more powerful success story. You are going to inspire many, even more than you already have.
    Life is not a matter of having good cards, but of playing a poor hand well.

- Robert Louis Stevenson

DoraV is online now Member
    John, your story really touched me. My grandmother had IPF, she passed away almost 4 years ago. Her younger sister also had it and passed away 2 years ago. Although they weren't overweight, they both loved their bread and sweets.

Anyway, I just want to congratulate you on taking control of your health. I wish you continued success and look forward to reading more.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    F 45 5'5"
    SW 177
    CW 141
    GW 136

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Very inspiring success story!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    John, wow. You have been through so much, and I wish you all the very best as you continue now to build up your strength. Thankyou very very much for sharing your amazing story.

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    What a great story!!! Thank you for telling us, you are an inspiration to all.

I hope you are as succesful in your phase 2!
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    John, your success with your physical issues is well beyond outstanding. I'd guess that for most people, your Phase 1 would be more in the life time achievement category.
    Congratulations and best fortune as you pursue your new objective.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Meant2Move is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Amazing story. So glad you are doing well, and best as you move forward to a new, healthier life.
    M2M

"Nonspecific strength gains have to be converted into real improvements in athletic performance or they are not useful."
    - Training for the New Alpinism by Steve House and Scott Johnston

Primal Journal: Hmm, I'll take this path...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast