Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Almost through my 1st 24 hour fast... page

bigwar is offline Junior Member

Almost through my 1st 24 hour fast...

Shop Now
    So I have been doing a 17-18 hour fast maybe once a week for the past month or so, but this is my first run at 24. I am not light-headed and have tons of energy, but I have some heartburn and I am burping like crazy! Normal? Good? Bad? Doesn't matter? Thoughts?

Breaking fast at an all you can eat steakhouse here in Japan.

shannon is offline Senior Member
    the energy part is awesome, eh? not sure about the indigestion. maybe a cleansing reaction. grok on and keep up the good work!

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    18 hrs is my usual, but a 24 hr here and there can be invigorating. I wouldnt do too many, especially if you are male and want to maintain muscle mass, but once in a while should be fine. the burping is probably a result of whatever you eate prior to the fast.

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Awesome! Really glad to hear about the energy level. I've considered doing a 24hr fast myself but was concerned about "bonking".

Chow down on some steaks for me!
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    hehe, once you do it you find that it's no biggie. Try a 48 hour fast. That should be fun =)
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    I was about to start a thread on the Heartburn and Indigestion during fasting as well! I'm glad I'm not alone with this issue.

I have a similar problem. I am consistent with a 16-18 hour fast several times per week, but with only water and black coffee, I get some of the worst heartburn and acid reflux. It was so bad the last time, I cut short a run due to the severe burning in my throat. It stayed with me after the next two meals, and into the next day as well.

I thought ginger chews might help, but it goes against the nature of the fast. It seems better if i abstain from ANYTHING -- including water, but i drink a lot of water, and that's just a bit much.

Any suggestions on how to curb the burn?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    OMG ALL YOU CAN EAT STEAK!?! I am so jealous.

I think the coffee etc may be contributing to the heartburn New Renaissance. I find that I don`t drink much water during a fast, I just kind of go into a nothing by mouth mode, unless really thirsty.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Id say the coffee as well. I love coffee during a fast
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

New Renaissance is offline Senior Member
    I forgot to elaborate on the coffee. Quality and preparation of the coffee matters. Drip coffee a la Folgers is a big culprit whether I eat or not. When it's prepared as an espresso or French Press, it doesn't lead to heartburn.

The trouble is I need something to wake me up in the morning. My body is physically awake, but my mind isn't until about 10. I have been a night person since I was an infant. There is the pesky caffeine addiction I manage as well. That goes into another thread, however.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    I do tend to burp more when I'm fasting for some reason. I really haven't put much thought into why though.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast