Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What do y'all think about 'Fascinating womanhood'-Elaine Andelin? page

McVilly is offline Junior Member

What do y'all think about 'Fascinating womanhood'-Elaine Andelin?

Shop Now
    Women does it make you angry?Men is this what you want from your significant other,does it bring out all your primal masculine instincts when a woman acts like this?or does it just plain bother you?
    Acai Max Cleanse
    Last edited by McVilly; 07-27-2010 at 08:30 PM.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    well I had a look at the homepage and it's pretty barf-inducing. 15 kids? That's a family with a hellofan environmental footprint. Homeschooling can be great in the right hands, restrictive and damaging in the wrong hands.

women go to her classes "all with the same desperate need for instruction on how to understand their husband's nature, needs and feelings, how to be the Ideal Woman From a Man's Point of View" WTF? Um, I can tell you for free. Sit down with your man and have a conversation. See, wasn't hard, was it?

Anyone seen the email going round with a big list of 'how to please a woman'? A long list, something like buy her chocolates, do the dishes, put out the garbage without being asked, find out her favorite restaurant... blah blah blah. At the very bottom of the page is "how to please a man". It has only one entry: "Come naked, bring beer."

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    I'm easy. No need for the beer.

Katt is offline Senior Member
    I don't need the beer either. Nor any of the rest of those things on that list. LOL.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Please me? Sex and and engineer/ scientist's brain. That is all.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

animalcule is offline Senior Member
    I've only read a little about it; think some of the basic principles are sound, but it goes both ways. It's good for both men and women to listen to the other and care what they have to say, make it clear they value the other's contribution to the family, put their best effort into having the family life they want to, strive to have positive interactions rather than using each other as a dump for the day's irritations and problems, etc. It's also healthy not to expect your spouse to think or act just like you - people can be so different, men and women tend to be consistent in their differences as groups, and it can absolutely be a big problem if a couple can't or won't admit to those differences and try to find sound solutions to the problems they may cause.

A lot of it is complete bullshit IMO, and I think generally it's pretty useless because so few women are stay-at-home mom's these days. For a woman who works a 40 hour week but gets home before her husband to try to live out these 'principles' would burn her out very quickly I imagine.

I have no problem with people choosing to model their family life after these principles, as long as there is no abuse and everyone is contented.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    Ugh- I despise that book!
    A friend of mine had it when we were teens and my other friend and I used to make so much fun of many of the suggestions, such as, (I kid you not!) "to show you're upset, stick out your bottom lip and pout and stomp your foot, like a little girl. It will be so adorable to your husband that his heart will melt" (paraphrased). My husband would tell me to knock off the manipulative BS if I tried that (not to mention I would look ridiculous!)

Fascinating Womanhood very much stresses acting like a little girl to trigger your husband's "protective, paternal instincts" (um, eww?) and it's all about HIS needs.
    Apparently, if you endlessly please your husband, he will, in turn make sure your needs are met (although you will never actually state any of your needs and we all know how psychic guys are when it comes to women's needs- not!) It's like the trickle-down economics of relationship advice, LOL! Hmmm... it also seems to appeal to people who support the politicians who subscribe to trickle-down. A pattern, perhaps?

Anyway, I actually like John Gray's Mars and Venus books, (I know!!) as cheesy as they may be. There is some solid insight in them and he recognizes that if the woman isn't happy, NOBODY in the family is going to be happy, LOL!

avocado is offline Senior Member
    All I remember about that book is something about saran wrap ...

XYZ
    XYZ is offline Senior Member
    Hazy, we are very phsycic. We have no problems with any hints from a woman. They can be as vague as you want.

Provided they are phrased something like this: "I want/need this item/action from you for this reason or else you will suffer my wrath for days and have no freaking clue why I think you are a complete imbecile".

How tough is that?!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    This totally creeps me out, to be honest. I grew up in a very religious patriarcal home, and it's not ok. No matter how big a smile the woman plasters on her face while telling everyone she loves her life, she is a slave, and it sucks. She is being used and disrespected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast