Thread: Excess Post Oxygen Consumption (EPOC) page

miata is online now Senior Member

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption (EPOC)

Shop Now
    Let's discuss. I've been a big advocate to doing high intensity cardio once a week where I really push my heart rate for about 30 minutes. I think that Primal advocates sprinting for the same benefits.

I found this link for those who don't know what EPOC is:

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption Personal Trainer

Edit:

Here is another good link for those that Heart Rate Variability
    Last edited by miata; 02-08-2015 at 12:23 PM.

bcbcbc2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by miata View Post
    Let's discuss. I've been a big advocate to doing high intensity cardio once a week where I really push my heart rate for about 30 minutes. I think that Primal advocates sprinting for the same benefits.

I found this link for those who don't know what EPOC is:

Excess Post Oxygen Consumption Personal Trainer

Edit:

Here is another good link for those that Heart Rate Variability
    His graph is enormously, horribly out of scale and propagating the major over-acceptance of EPOC for fat loss.
    The people who run the numbers carefully always find EPOC of negligible value.
    Total calorie burn is more for steady state done for longer.

For decades endurance athletes have built an aerobic base with steady state and peaked with intervals,
    6 week studies showing more improvement with HIIT than steady state haven't disproved that experience.
    What works best short term doesn't necessarily work best long term.

miata is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm skeptical of the studies that say EPOC has negligible value.

Delayed effects on fat loss is the real controversy. I saw a lot of mixed messages. My guess is that if you do a thorough controlled experiment you may not see much of an after burn effect. However, I know for myself that after doing a high EPOC I have much higher energy levels for 24-28 hours afterwards -- so I DO expend more energy than if I didn't do the hard ride, and this contributes to fat loss after the EPOC activity. I would also bet that if I sat on a sofa for the whole time I wouldn't burn that many additional calories. But I might burn more if I was sitting in a cold room and needed to generate more heat.

This is sort of like the experiments with high fat versus high carb diets. The real benefit for many (most?) people is that you expend more energy on a higher fat diet, because you have higher energy level.

And I think there are probably other benefits beyond fat loss.