Thread: Knoooots! page

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member

Knoooots!

Shop Now
    How do you prevent knots in muscles/trigger points? How do you treat them once you get them?

A little background on me: I recently had surgery and am finally working back into some real exercises. Yay! I'm trying hard to be cognizant and not over do it, but at some point I've got a knot in my front shoulder muscle/bicep and one in each calf (from when I started brief intervals of light jogging). They've been there for awhile, and I've rested to the point where I think is adequate. It's beginning to interfere with my physical therapy. I don't want to overdo it, but these knots almost hurt more than the incision and I'm worried the tight muscles aren't good for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    For your calves, get a foam roller. I think you'll stop knotting up as you gain strength as long as your electrolytes are all good. For the shoulders, not sure it's safe for you to do at this point, but a lacrosse ball can work wonders (lean against it with it between you and a wall, roll the ball/yourself around in painful yet relieving ways).

Hulky still finds that kind of movement painful on his shoulder (a few years out from his surgery) so I would clear with your PT first.
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

miata is online now Senior Member
    If you already have one sitting around you can use a rolling pin effectively on your calves and Achilles tendon.

gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Take some arnica.

RittenRemedy is offline Senior Member
    I do have a history of poor electrolyte balance. I'm taking trace minerals and I use (Real Salt) sea salt. I think I have absorption issues though, from some gut issues. Is it maybe worth supplementation? What is a good, simple electrolyte supp that isn't Gatorade-like?

What's the arnica do??

namelesswonder is online now Senior Member
    Coconut water!

But yeah, it will eat up your budget pretty quickly . Trader Joe's used to have their own that they sold in the big ~33oz cartons, but they stopped and I am sad (well I haven't seen it at either of my two local stores, but maybe it's still sold elsewhere?).
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

TQP
    TQP is online now Senior Member

Knoooots!

Coconut water, orange juice with 1 tsp baking soda, or make your own electrolytes mix with some bulk-order potassium citrate (do NOT overdo this!), baking soda, and etc in your post-workout smoothie.

I drink all of the above.

gergirl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RittenRemedy View Post
    I do have a history of poor electrolyte balance. I'm taking trace minerals and I use (Real Salt) sea salt. I think I have absorption issues though, from some gut issues. Is it maybe worth supplementation? What is a good, simple electrolyte supp that isn't Gatorade-like?

What's the arnica do??

Muscle relaxing

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Aswell as the foam roller try a lacrosse ball/massage ball as it gets into smaller and tighter spots than a foam roller.

I use both of those things before each workout and I definately notice a difference in how loose I am and that helps with lifting. I haven't had any knee problems with squats since using the lacrosse ball on my glutes and foam rolling the sides of my thighs and inner legs.