Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cauliflower 'rice' recipe? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

Cauliflower 'rice' recipe?

Shop Now
    I know I saw it on here before but cannot find the recipe. I have Mark's cookbook, but cannot find it and need to start dinner. I want to surprise my kids and see if they'll eat it (and I really want rice, so I hope this does the trick for me).

Does anyone have a QUICK, easy and tasty recipe to share?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I just cut the cauliflower up very fine and sautee it with a bit of olive oil, minced garlic, salt and water (as I would white rice)... maybe skip the garlic or don't add too much, that's a Peruvian thing (I think...) not too much water so it doesn't clump. It's super quick, tastes good, but definitely still tastes like cauliflower, not much you can do about that. Tell your kids to eat up.

Just found one online I am going to try. It sounds really simple. Would still love more ideas if this is not what people do on here.

Thanks!

http://diewithyourfeeton.com/cauliflower-rice/

Cauliflower Rice
    Serves 4

Ingredients

900g cauliflower (include the stalk, it’s all good)
    60ml olive oil (or 60g butter if you eat it)
    2 cloves of garlic, finely chopped or crushed
    Freshly ground black pepper and sea salt (if you eat it)
    Any garnishes you like — e.g. finely sliced spring onion, finely chopped chilli, coriander leaves etc.

Instructions

Coarsely grate the cauliflower using a hand grater or the grating disc of a food processor.
    Squeeze the grated cauliflower one handful at a time to get rid of any excess water (not always necessary if the cauli happens to be fairly dry).
    Heat the oil or butter in a large frying pan over a medium heat, then add the garlic and fry until it becomes fragrant without burning (a minute or so).
    Add the cauliflower rice, season with black pepper (and salt, if using) and stir-fry for 6 minutes or until the “rice” is crunchy in texture.
    Add any garnishes you’re using, stir through, and serve.

Nutritional Info (per serving, basic recipe)
    7.5g Protein, 6g Carbs, 15g Fat

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Not for rice, but cauliflower mash instead of potato mash:

Steam cauliflower, gently heat two cloves of garlic in butter - don't let them burn, or the taste will be bitter. Mash the cauliflower in a food processor, add butter and garlic. Taste with salt and pepper. You can also add parmesane cheese to add some more taste to the cauliflower mash.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like the same recipe I just pulled up. Am going to play with some curries and see what I can come up with (maybe some grated cheese will help the flavor as well, but then I can't serve chicken damnit, lol). So not sure what protein to give them. This whole separating meat and milk is for the birds.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. Sounds like the same recipe I just pulled up. Am going to play with some curries and see what I can come up with (maybe some grated cheese will help the flavor as well, but then I can't serve chicken damnit, lol). So not sure what protein to give them. This whole separating meat and milk is for the birds.
    why can't you serve chicken and cheese? why are you separating meat and milk? do you have super picky kids or what? a few hours of no food will fix that right quick.

I wish it were that simple. My husband and I recently decided that we were going to stop mixing meat and milk and not eat pork for traditional reasons. We are Jewish, not religious, but want to teach our kids about Jewish traditions/rituals etc. that are relevant to their everyday life, and those are two of the most basic things many Jews do. It is a PITA, but we feel it's important for our kids for now.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    The cauli rice i do is real simple....
    give it a whiz in the food processor until it is bitty like rice
    stick in in a glass container, add a bayleaf, a grind of pepper, put lid on. Put in microwave for about 4 mins? Take the bayleaf out, stir it around and serve. Whatever you do, DONT add any water to it, the cauli has plenty of natural water on its own to cook it.
    Bang

I made the cauliflower with olive oil, onions and garlic (a little bit of ginger, salt and pepper) and it was a hit with my husband. He really loved it. The kids ate it but it will take some getting used to for them. Thanks for all the suggestions.

We had curried chicken thighs in coconut milk with them (and avocado and cucumber). Was pretty tasty.

pantrybites is offline Member
    I like to grate my cauliflower for the "rice." I have a recipe here for a cauliflower rice pilaf which has Indian spices.

CAULIFLOWER “RICE” PILAF
    500 grams grated cauliflower “rice” ( about 3 cups)
    1 medium onion sliced into crescent rings
    1 tbs ghee
    1 tsp fennel seeds
    1 tsp yellow mustard seeds
    1 cinnamon stick
    2 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp paprika
    1 tsp cumin
    1/2 tsp cardamom
    1/4 cup chicken stock

Melt ghee in a large skillet over medium heat.
    Add the onions, fennel seeds, and mustard seeds, and cinnamon stick.
    Stir until until onions are cooked and spices are fragrant.
    Add in the cauliflower and the remaining spices.
    Add in the chicken stock.
    Stir until everything is mixed through.
    Season with salt and pepper.

Makes 2 generous servings.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast