Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How long does it take to feel "normal" again after dropping the carbs? page

Lys
    Lys is offline Member

How long does it take to feel "normal" again after dropping the carbs?

Primal Fuel
    I'm a huge carb and sugar addict, I know. Cereal for breakfast, sandwiches for lunch, dinners where meat is a condiment rather than the main source of calories. I mostly got into that habit trying to feed a family of 5 on a college student's budget but now I can't break it...

I've been trying to go primal for... a month? Two maybe? I can never seem to get past two or three days without having a mid-afternoon (or late evening) crash and ending up downing a couple of bowls of that awful honeybunchesofcrack my husband won't stop buying. Or even if that's not here, toast or a bagel or anything else full of carbs.

I eat plenty of fat... Bacon, eggs, butter, steak, chicken (not just the breast), whole milk in my tea, cream in my coffee, fatty fish when I can afford it. Lots of vegetables and a decent amount of fruit but not tons... I take fish oil and vit D and a few other things. I would cut out the caffeine but it's really not that much. One cup of coffee and maybe 2 cups of tea on a bad day. Usually just one of each.

I feel like I'm eating all day and yet I'm STILL hungry. I feel weak and shaky and maybe it's a blood sugar thing but I don't know how to fix it besides giving in to the carb and sugar cravings.

What kind of calorie and carb/fat/protein level should I be aiming for as a 24 year old, 5'6", 165lb female (who'd love to lose 20 pounds!). I'm nursing but my daughter is two and only nurses a few times a day. I logged my food yesterday and had eaten 2000 calories (140g carbs, all from non-grain sources) but still went to bed hungry.

I admit to not having the primal blueprint book on hand... I've read through some of it, but I have three kids and not a whole lot of reading time.

Thoughts? I really feel like I just suck at this Since I started I've already gained back 5 pounds that I had lost earlier this year, so obviously I'm not doing it right.

Thanks,
    Alyssa

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    Sorry that my first post here was so long-winded! I've been lurking and reading but the only answer to this dilemma I could seem to find is to eat more fat and it just doesn't seem to be working so far...

Grol is offline Senior Member
    PB suggest taking the carbs below 100 grams for the type of weight loss you seek. Increase the proteins and fats to make the hunger subside. A lot of what you are feeling may be psychological. It didn't matter how stuffed I was for awhile, meals just didn't seem complete without pasta, bread, potatoes and/or dessert. It does go away eventually. Some of us do better having something later at night so we don't go to bed hungry. I skip breakfast easily when I do that and the fat burning power of intermittent fasting goes to work for me.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    doesnt nursing burn like, crazy amounts of calories? Ive read it burns 500 cals a day........ if youre only eating 2000 you could be crashing due to not enough cals. If you are still hungry, eat primal foods, as much as you want, just TRY to avoid the grain business, as eating that stuff is only making it harder on you. once you can push through that first week, it will be a lot easier. for the first week i would eat anything primal in sight to avoid eating junk grains.

PrincessGrok is offline Senior Member
    Eat Fat. Eat Coconut Oil when you feel the crash coming on. you have to battle through it, It's ALOT of a mental battle more than anything. Let yourself hunger, and eat fat. Eventually it will go away. I had carb flu for about 3 weeks.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    The way I see it, every time you feed that need for a fix with carbs, you are actively keeping yourself on that blood sugar rollercoaster for another few days. Don't feed it. Feed yourself with primal foods (I agree with lmyers about eating anything and everything primal in sight, it's totally worth it to be off of the rollercoaster) and once the sugar/carb/crack issues are behind you, the hunger issue may take care of itself. It did for me. I forced myself to do whatever I could to avoid staying on the damn rollercoaster - even knowing that I might gain a little because I knew that once I came off, I wouldn't be a slave to my blood sugar and carb cravings anymore. I am SO glad I did. I feel incredible and have lost 5 lbs. Even if I hadn't lost the 5 lbs, it would still be worth it because I feel so much better. It's almost like the weight loss is just a perk. I'll take it!

Kev
    Kev is offline Senior Member
    When I went Primal I used a pretty simple trick, never go hungry, at least for the first week or two. If you think your starting to get hungry eat, Primal foods. Personally I kept dry roasted mixed nuts handy and if I had a craving I ate a handful or two. Once you adjust to to the low carbs it will be easy to manage your diet better, but you have to get off the carb roller coaster first.

My wife went Primal and used the same method successfully.
    Strive for healthy today.

Satisfaction is the death of desire.

Lys
    Lys is offline Member
    I actually have been trying to stay under the 100g for carbs but it's so hard! Up until now my tactic has been to have a piece of fruit when it gets really bad, figuring that at least it isn't grains, but perhaps that isn't helping either? Looking at yesterday, that's what the extra carbs came from. (Mmmm farmer's market peaches!) I need to boil some more eggs for quick snacking I think.

I guess, also, I'm scared to go above 2000cals because of the fear of gaining weight. I've been stuck at this exact weight since my daughter was a week old, no joke, and to add more to it would probably send me off the deep end. I was even nursing TWO kids for her first year and STILL didn't lose a pound (although I'm sure all the oreos and stress-eating didn't help either LOL).

I'm glad to hear that some of you have struggled through this as well... It's so hard to see the other end from here.
    Thanks for the replies

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lys View Post
    Up until now my tactic has been to have a piece of fruit when it gets really bad, figuring that at least it isn't grains, but perhaps that isn't helping either? Looking at yesterday, that's what the extra carbs came from. (Mmmm farmer's market peaches!)
    Got to watch the fruit, it makes your blood sugar spike which will keep you from losing fat as fast.

If you don't have allergies to them Macadamia nuts are a great snack, high in fat to help curb the hunger.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Lys, just another quick comment - this might be encouraging to you. When I stopped nursing my daughter, I lost almost 10 lbs and that was the only thing that changed. My sister did the same exact thing. Our bodies held onto those last couple of lbs until we were no longer demanding milk from it. Not everyone loses weight nursing - many do, but not all! That may very well be what your body does when your nursing days are over.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast