Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heres my problem... page

FergalJennings is offline Senior Member

Heres my problem...

Primal Fuel
    So I've been primal for about a year now and i've enjoyed it greatly..but as of recent i've hit a few snaggs with the diet!

I've started getting verry tired and weak over the past few weeks and my weight has dropped dramatically...and by that i mean 5lbs in the space of two weeks..im having back pains and cramps..problems sleeping and concentration is hard to keep up during things..

I've recently been told that I have pretty bad depression and i was thinking if it was coming from that? or if not my diet? I have a feeling im not eating enough and this is the reason for my post..

Ive been keeping my carbs low under 50g a day and my protein around 150g..fats are alot higher as i dont tend to count that.. Yes i've lost weight from this and body fat..bar some (some has stayed around the tummy due to cortisol from the stress im guessing) though i think im under weight? 170lbs at 6ft 7.

As for training i do crossfit often, mainly strength work as of recent...

sorry for the rant but i was wondering if anyone had any other problems like this and how they fixed it?

thanks for reading anyways =]

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    You are eating way too little carbs and protein given your training routine. You don't seem to need to lose any weight so I'd suggest you eat more.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

would there be any guidelines on how much?
    and i was wondering how much fat would be needed too?

thanks!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FergalJennings View Post
    would there be any guidelines on how much?
    and i was wondering how much fat would be needed too?

thanks!
    -About 100 extra grams of carbs per hour of intense training you do.

-At least 170 grams of protein.

-As much fat as as you need to reach your calorie goal.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. You're a great candidate to push the 150g carb boundary. Enjoy some baked potatoes with sour cream and butter.

Also, fast unexpected weight loss, back pains and cramps probably necessitate a trip to the doctor's office, just in case.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Likely just lack of potassium, or adrenal fatigue. Either way some tubers are worth a go.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FergalJennings View Post
    i think im under weight? 170lbs at 6ft 7.
    If you are 6' 7" and 170 you are definitely under weight. With some muscle mass on your frame you should be in the 200 - 220 range.

If belly fat is your concern, as you build muscle mass it will be much easier to burn. Strength training should be your primary vehicle.

I completely agree with rphlslv, you need to eat more.

Grol has a good point, sudden tiredness, weakness, pain and weight loss could be something more serious than your diet needing a tweak. A visit to the doctor could be a good idea.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    You need to get some meat on those bones. You could probably go upto 1.5 grams of protein per pound of BW with no problems. After eating your protein and carbs then eat as much fat as it takes for you to feel satiated. There is no limit to this.

Stabby is probably right. Potassium loss is something that caught me out. Eat some potassium rich foods immediately and see if that helps.

Thanks for the information everyone.

What about IFing? I usually do the 16 hour fast with the 8 hour window eating time...

Should i cut this down to maybe only a few times a week or keep it?

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    How do you feel on your IFs? I've read that if you have adrenal issues, IFs can be difficult and detrimental. Sorry-I don't remember where I read that.

Also, if you're going to see your doctor, I'd request to have some blood tests to see how your vitamins and minerals are. I just discovered for example that despite ingesting 500% of the RDA of Vit B12, I'm really low in B12! Low B12 can cause symptoms like the ones you have. Some people have conversion problems. Also, I'm learning that there are many forms of B12 deficiency. One of them makes it difficult for the body to get energy from fats and proteins! If you decide to check your levels, take note that the lab ranges for what is 'normal' is way off. Japan has a good standard of 550 minimum.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vitamin_B12

But I also agree with the other posts. It could be that you just need to eat more. And potassium might be the key.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast