Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tips for using coconut flour? page

JasonBanz is offline Member

Any tips for using coconut flour?

Primal Fuel
    I've been using coconut flour now for less than a week, but I am using it for everything now! Pancakes, Pizza crust, and cookies. My only problem is everything turns out very dry. Any tips for making it more moist?
    Insert whitty diet remark here!

pantrybites is offline Member
    You need to add lots of fat to keep it from drying out. Coconut flour is like sponge so you just need to work out the right ratios for that perfect moisture content.

www.pantrybites.com
    Real Good Primal Food

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    More eggs, more fat! The book "Cooking with Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife is awesome.

jeffy87 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lil_earthmomma View Post
    More eggs, more fat! The book "Cooking with Coconut Flour" by Bruce Fife is awesome.
    ^^ What she said. Sometimes I use a little coconut milk when baking with coconut flour to help retain moisture.

Thanks guys! I have found that you don't need much coconut flour. I just wasn't sure what to add extra. I was thinking adding more eggs or coconut milk would help.

Minnas is offline Junior Member
    Try letting the batter of whatever you are making sit for 5-10 minutes so the flour has a chance to absorb the liquid. It helps a lot. If you find the mix too thick after it sits then add some water or other liquid.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    I would say, be careful of eating too much at once! I've only used small amounts of coconut flour (1.5 Tsp) in pancakes so far, but yesterday made some breadstick-like things with it that used a lot more (having a bunch left over with parmesan mixed in, after my mom nicely substituted it for breadcrumbs on some chicken breasts). Ow ow ow ... last night I had horrific gas pains and stomach cramps, like I used to get when I ate grains but almost never get anymore.

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    Can anybody share a recipe for pizza crust using coconut flour?

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Yes, I forgot to add that you use about a 1/4 of what you would use in a regular flour recipe. And it's so extremely high in fiber, that you may have some gastro issues!

Thanks for the tips! I found a new crust recipe I might try. May just leave out the flax meal since I have none.

Makes 2-4 servings

2 cups whole milk organic mozzarella cheese, shredded
    2 large organic eggs
    2 tablespoons flax meal
    2 tablespoons coconut flour
    teaspoon baking powder
    Preparation:

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cut 2 pieces of parchment paper out for baking sheet.

Mix cheese, eggs, flax, coconut flour, and baking powder together until a sticky wet dough is formed. Spread with a spatula to inch thickness on a baking sheet lined with one piece of parchment paper.

Bake for 30 minutes in preheated oven. Halfway through the baking process, flip crust over by sliding it off the baking sheet with the parchment paper, placing the second piece on the sheet, and turning the crust over unto the new sheet and peeling the old paper off. Return to oven until done baking.

Remove from oven, slide off of parchment paper, and flip over again for cooling. Once crust is cooled, top with sauce, pre-cooked veggies or meats, and cheese. Set crust with toppings under the broiler on high for a minute or two until cheese is melted and bubbly. Slice and serve

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast