Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Challenge Journal Extravaganza page

Zephyr Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey Everyone!

I'm relatively new to the Primal Diet. I tried it out a week before this (a co-incidental test run). Turns out I'm addicted to carbs. Pizza is my "Carbynite." I'm here to give it a serious go.

My goal is to slim down so I can be a better rock climber and hopefully have more energy as well.

Day 1

Food:

B: None, woke up late

L: Bag of cherries

S: Bag of cherries (Part 2)

D: Spinach Salad (added cranberries and nuts and drizzled with lemon juice. yum!)

Exercise: Rock climbed for an hour and a half.

I walked into the store today and I was overwhelmed by the sea of boxed foods. In my musings, I looked at the nutritional label of some food I used to eat and found out that most of that I couldn't understand. I liked the listing of "natural flavors." I got this "phantom of the opera" image in my mind of mysterious blobs wearing masks of fruit(and capes. Can't forget about the capes),

suzyschnitz is offline Junior Member

I understand what you mean. I was in line at the store yesterday and I looked around at what the other people were buying (phantom foods!) and I just wanted to save them all and give them hugs.

AT22 is offline Junior Member

If you are addicted to carbs, watch the fruit. Where's your primal meat!?

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I was going to ask the same thing... where's your protein!? Get some meat in there or at least eggs. Eating cherries and cranberries all day isn't going to help you break the carb addiction.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

arthurb999 is offline Senior Member

Agreed... not even close to enough protien.

Zephyr Guest

After reading the posts, I'm gonna try to get more meat in my life. Prior to the primal challenge, my eating habits were of a vegetarian with "meaty mondays." It feels weird to be eating food once considered "taboo" 6 days of the week.

Day 2

Food:

B: two fried eggs

S: cherry tomatoes and raw mushrooms

L: sauteed Kale; Okra, tomate, onion stew, Kombucha

S: handful of blueberries

D: Big helping of leafy greens and half a chicken

Midnight S: handful of cherries

For now on, I'm going to try to spread out my protein consumption. That was a lot of meat for just one sitting.

Exercise:

Walked to a local farmer's market conveniently located three and a half miles away (took two hours to walk there and back). Rode my friend's bike to the library (30 minutes)

Side nots:

This was (i'm embarassed to say) the longest walk I've had in years. I have a new found respect for walkers. I'm glad I had the foresight to bring a nalgene bottle though. It was so humid while I traveled on foot! During the trip, I felt that I was connecting with my inner Grok, trekking across some concrete tundra.

FYI, if you're planning on cooking a chicken in the oven. Use a tray. I cooked mine on the rack and the oil burnt when it dripped down. Suffice it to say, I had to place the smoke detector in the bathroom for a good 30 minutes while I dealt with the smokey mess. Quite the learning curve!

AT22 is offline Junior Member

Good work! Making progress -- that is what the challenge is all about!

Zephyr Guest

Day 3

Food:

B: chicken and spinach omelet, no cheese

S: handful of almonds

L: chicken with some blueberries

S: kombucha

D: spinach salad with some smoked salmon and chicken

Exercise:

rock climbing for two hours

Side notes:

I had my first awkward conversation about my primal diet. My friend works at a bakery and...well, he gave me THE weirdest look. Same response with another friend of mine: supportive, but questionable looks. Best if I keep my diet incognito...they're just not ready yet

darienx19 is offline Senior Member

The first of many conversations as such I'm sure don't let it get you down though! I've run into people who actually ask me (under my breath) if it is some sort of 'pyramid scheme' or something... It'll get better though as they see your health improve. I've managed to convert a few of my friends only after losing 60 lbs myself (I know weight is a weak metric, but people respond to it). Stick with it though, eventually they will come around

Zephyr Guest

PrimalCon New York

Day 4

Food:

B: left over chicken

S: almonds

L: More left over chicken

S: bought a piece of chicken from a cafeteria (I'll never forget a snack again)

D: red pepper and two big helpings of spinach

S: Chicken and almonds

(have you noticed a motif in today's menu?)

Exercise:

walked for 2 hours and gardened a bit at my community garden.

Musings:

I tried walking differently today to emulate barefoot walking. My calves are cursing me right now. I got myself a nice portion of okra today. A little more and I'm gonna try to make a stew...fingers crossed!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast