Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ideal protien/fat/carb breakdown page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Ideal protien/fat/carb breakdown

Primal Fuel
    Can anyone tell me the optimal fat/carb/protien percentage breakdown for weight loss?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    If you want to lose weight you need to stop eating.

Just joking, that will depend on your goals and if you're doing any sort of physical activity. I aim for as low carb as possible WHILE EATING VEGETABLES. Many people want to eschew vegs, and I don't really eat them because I think they're this holistic vial of health but because I enjoy them and because they - to me - represent balance in one's diet. I don't worry too much about breakdown of foods and don't plug what I eat into any websites. Nothing wrong with doing that but it can become obsessive. I always try to get some type of meat protein (which will ensure I get some fat) a side of vegetables (primarily broccoli, spinach, kale, chard, anything green and dark, oftentimes I'll have onions, tomatoes, carrots, lettuce, cauliflower, asparagus, etc) and I finish it off with some fat, either by cooking with bacon grease or actually having bacon in my meals, or some avocado, or cooking with coconut oil, ghee, lard or butter. I couldn't tell you what the exact breakdown of that is, but I do estimate that my carbs are typically under 60g per day. I've lost body fat and through strength training (using mostly bodyweight and some weighted work) I've gained strength, not so much in the way of muscle mass/size, but I'm stronger than I was before so I don't care if I'm not packing on the muscles. I would advise sprinting at least once a week, if I did that more often I'd have lower Body fat levels than I currently do.

awesome advice, thanks. i eat very similarly, and i run intervals a couple of times a week, and lift as well. it's slow going though- i'm 5'7", 134lbs, and I'd like to get below 130. i think my body likes being where it is now. unfortunately, i'm quite vain.

We're the same height, and I weigh 145 (as of last night, after eating) I started this journey at 175 so I'm very happy with how far I've come. I have some definition in my midsection but not as much, I'd say you're at an ideal weight. It may be that I have more muscle than you do however, but you're probaby fairly lean as it is. Don't fight your body man ... you won't win! and if you do, you won't be as happy. I don't really care where I'm at numerically, but if all the excess body fat I have on were to melt away right now I assume I'd be around 135-138lbs. Only time will tell.

Lewis is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by aimlow View Post
    Can anyone tell me the optimal fat/carb/protien percentage breakdown for weight loss?
    Who wants to be looking up charts to calculate the fat/protein/carbohydrate their foods all the time? Interesting the first time, perhaps ... after a while it'd drive you crazy.

That's not the best way to look at it. A diet that had a supposedly perfect x%, y%, and z% of those, but was lacking in important nutrients - vitamins, minerals, even enzymes - would be deficient anyway.

It's fairly obvious what it's best to go easy on. A piece of toast (with plenty of butter spread on it) with your bacon and eggs for your breakfast is one thing; a couple of pieces, then sandwiches for lunch, and then pasta for dinner is quite another. Otherwise, no biscuits, no cakes, no candy, no soft drinks, no processed food. Avoid or minimize consumption of alcoholic drinks.

You shouldn't really need to cut back on other foods. You may even need to eat a little more fat than you're used to. Just eat a good range of different fresh foods. When you eat meat, don't cut the fat off. Do eat liver once a week; other organ meats are good, too. Put butter on your vegetables.

There's one interesting tactic for weight-loss, which is to drink a tablespoonful of coconut oil twenty minutes before each meal. One thing that fat does is contribute to that feeling of satiety that tells you when to stop eating. As a result of doing that, people apparently find they're full and satisfied and ready to leave the table having eaten a little less than they otherwise would have. The tactic has also been tried with people who are very over-weight and they're told to drink two tablespoons 20 minutes before each meal. The coconut oil should be real "virgin, raw" grade coconut oil.

But personally, I wouldn't worry about calculating exact percentages. There's a reasonably wide margin within which you can operate, and there's a more important issue - getting all the nutrients you need.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    There is none.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

iniQuity- are you a guy or a girl?

I'm a guy, check out my tough avatar pic dudes...

I mean the guy is getting a teep (front kick) TO THE FACE.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I pretty much assume everyboard member is a guy unless they explicitly state otherwise hahaha, aimlow I'm guessing you're a girl then?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast