Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Olive Oil-GMO? page

NewlyPrimed is offline Senior Member

Olive Oil-GMO?

Shop Now
    Are there olive oils on the market that have GMOs in them? For that matter, are there GMO olives out there?

John Caton is online now Senior Member
    Yes and no. Although research has been done, laws and economics have blocked implementation of actual olive GMOs. However, some olive oils may have GMO soy oil added, particularly in the US and in less expensive brands. Do your due diligence, pick your brand and stick with it.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by John Caton View Post
    Yes and no. Although research has been done, laws and economics have blocked implementation of actual olive GMOs. However, some olive oils may have GMO soy oil added, particularly in the US and in less expensive brands. Do your due diligence, pick your brand and stick with it.
    I have read imported oils are much more likely to be cut with soybean (or other) oil than domestic brands. California Olive Ranch appears to be consistently among the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Artbuc View Post
    I have read imported oils are much more likely to be cut with soybean (or other) oil than domestic brands. California Olive Ranch appears to be consistently among the best.
    You are probably correct that imports are more likely cut with soy, but I think US versions are more likely with GMO soy. I say that, however, in the belief that GMO soy is less accepted outside US. Might be wrong.

Belbe is offline Member
    olive trees aren't exactly in need of GMO technology. There's an abundance of hardy, heavy bearing cultivars, so your shouldn't have much to worry about.
    That said, It's the ONE thing I have to disagree with Mark is the incoherent fear of GMOs. Maybe because I did study genetics, and because I'm aware of what DNA can and cannot do, I'm as afraid of GMOs as I am of any manmade cultivars out there. We evolved eating what Nature selected for millions of years. Pressure on selection of what we ate came at the same pace it did on our own evolution. Now when you start selecting yourself, even if you don't add any bacteria or watever DNA into a soy plant, you are still making DNA combinations that didn't exist before and hence the DNA will be coding proteins it didn't code before. Now if we didn't have time to evolve into eating grains and legumes despite the thousands of years we've been doing so, do you really believe we could have evolved to eat new cultivar's "possible" anti-nutrients? No we couldn't.

And that said, I believe GMOs and selected cultivars go in the same bag as ocean fish with heavy metal poisoning: the amount of health enhacing nutrients you get from decent food "probably" far outweights any possible harm you may get by frankenfood's "possible" anti-nutrients.

oxide is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Belbe View Post
    That said, It's the ONE thing I have to disagree with Mark is the incoherent fear of GMOs.
    Could you clarify? So Mark is ok with GMO and you're not? Or is your fear of GMO more coherent than Mark's? That said, I agree, I wouldn't want to mess with GMO. And man-made cultivars aren't so good either. If you're interested, check out the first 100 pages of the The WheatBelly Cookbook. William Davis writes a rant about modern strains of wheat that should scare anyone.

Back to the thread, which olive oils are cut with soy? I've seen olives from a mix of European countries, but never olive oil with soy in it.
    5'0" female, 44 years old. Started Primal October 31, 2011, at a skinny fat 111.5 lbs. Low weight: 99.5 lb on a fast. Gained to 109 on sugar cheat. Reset with 85P / 90C / 90F. Currently weaning off fat to 85P / 90C / 60F.

MY PRIMAL: I (try to) follow by-the-book primal as advocated by Mark Sisson, except for whey powder and a bit of cream. I advocate a two-month strict adjustment for newbies. But everybody is different and other need to tweak Primal to their own needs.

purplegorilla is online now Senior Member
    I have not heard of GMO olives

bazzz is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Belbe View Post
    That said, It's the ONE thing I have to disagree with Mark is the incoherent fear of GMOs. Maybe because I did study genetics, and because I'm aware of what DNA can and cannot do, I'm as afraid of GMOs as I am of any manmade cultivars out there. We evolved eating what Nature selected for millions of years. Pressure on selection of what we ate came at the same pace it did on our own evolution. Now when you start selecting yourself, even if you don't add any bacteria or watever DNA into a soy plant, you are still making DNA combinations that didn't exist before and hence the DNA will be coding proteins it didn't code before.
    I'm with you on this. But it's probably not worth arguing as people tend to defend their anti-GMOness with a religious-like zeal. And if you mention the lack of any evidence that GMOs are harmful, you'll just get accused of being a Monsanto-funded shill. (My credentials: BA in biochemistry, PhD in molecular biology).

Quote Originally Posted by bazzz View Post
    I'm with you on this. But it's probably not worth arguing as people tend to defend their anti-GMOness with a religious-like zeal. And if you mention the lack of any evidence that GMOs are harmful, you'll just get accused of being a Monsanto-funded shill. (My credentials: BA in biochemistry, PhD in molecular biology).
    With all due respect, and I do respect the time and work you put in to earn and maintain your credentials, we are talking about our health and longevity. Too many times in the past few generations, we were deceived by people with similar credentials, for money or glory. We may not have the means to prove the harm of GMOS but neither do we have faith in profit driven studies by PhDs. Since I don't know the truth, I'll err on the side of what I know, as close to nature as possible. Call me what you will.

bazzz is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by John Caton View Post
    but neither do we have faith in profit driven studies by PhDs
    There have been thousands of studies done by academic scientists who are not "profit-driven" and have failed to find any evidence of harm from GMOs. Why would you choose to ignore those? There's no conceivable rationale to believe that GMOs are any more harmful than non-GMOs.

Anyway, I'll leave it there, as I said, it's pointless trying to convince people with evidence.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast