Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Failed 1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test page

maba is offline Senior Member

Failed 1 hour Glucose Tolerance Test

Primal Fuel
    I'm 31 weeks pregnant and last week I went for my 1 hour glucose tolerance test and I failed The number was 144 while the cut-off is 130. So I'll have to do the 3 hour GTT now. I admit I haven't been entirely primal during my pregnancy but I don't think I ate junk either. My non-primal indulgences are rice and lentils. I've gained about 18 lbs so far. And I have no family history of diabetes or gestational diabetes. I'm 33 yo. So what did I do wrong to fail the test? Does this number indicate that I'm at risk for diabetes or GD? Infact, I had fasted overnight for this test as I did it first thing in the morning, so it's not like I ate a carby meal before the test.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Are you eating a lot of fruit?

Gestational diabetes is not uncommon. You need to monitor this. Blood glucose tests vary so one does not tell the story. Walmart sells a cheap kit and you can keep a close eye on it. Even give your Dr. a chart. Nix the rice and beans for now.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Hugs Maba. This may not have anything to do with what you've been eating. Some women are just prone to this during pregnancy. Try not to freak out it's highly managable and you already have the knowledge and the practice. <3 <3 <3

maba is offline Senior Member
    @Grol: No, surprisingly, I'm not eating much fruit. I eat a small amount, may be once or twice a week.

@lil_EM: Thanks! But I really am freaking out. I'm hoping I pass the 3 hour GTT.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Can you ask them just to give you a prescription for test strips and lancets and call it a day? I've never even heard of a 1 hr and 3 hr test. When I had to do this it was a 2 hr test and they only did it once, no messing around. My bs was way higher though. I think 200 at 1 hr and 180 after 2. Have they tested your fasting bs? That's a better indication of how well your body is controlling your bs anyway.
    Anyway, if it does turn out that you have gestational diabetes based on your 1 hr number only being 144 it should be really easy to manage with just diet and cutting back on the carbs. Don't think you did anything wrong. It's just your hormones are all out of whack during pregnancy and these things happen regardless. I could barely eat due to nausea for the first 5 1/2 months of my pregnancy and had only gained about the same as you and I still had gestational diabetes.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    I failed the 1 hour fast as well. The 3 hour test is NOT FUN, but I ended up passing it with no problem (and heading straight to Cracker Barrel for the biggest breakfast I've ever had!). Failing the 1 hour does not mean that you have GD.

As a side note, my DH decided he was going to go through the 3 hour with me - he had no problem fasting, but I did catch him sneaking sips of water, which I gladly would have killed for!

Rest easy, mama. There's no reason to worry - you and your baby will be fine.

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I had to do the 3 hour too, Maba. And it was fine. Though that drink they gave me almost made me throw up, but I asked and they said if I did I'd have to come back and do it again. I powered through!

Don't stress though... and definitely do not go trying to find blame! Hormones just work in wierd ways, and you will be fine!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Maba - Dr. Eades says if you normally eat low carb, you will probably fail a GTT. He recommends eating higher carbs for a few days before the test, since our bodies need some time to produce the enzymes to handle them.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    ^1. Fasting glucose or GTFO.

Glucose tolerance SUCKS as a predictor. As much as a poor night's sleep can screw it up.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

scubasam is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I had GD with all three of my pregnancies. Two out of three required significant amounts of insulin to control my levels. I only did the 1 hour test with each and my levels came back over 185, which is the cut off for taking the 3 hour test (if it over 185, they don't bother with the 3 hour test). At 144, there is a good chance you will pass the 3 hour test.

However, even if you don't, you will very likely be able to control GD with diet, particularly if you are following a loose primal diet throughout. I am a pro at GD, so if you have any questions, feel free to PM me. As long as your levels are under control for the most part, you and your baby will be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast