Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Question about gumbo... page

Cosima is offline Senior Member

Question about gumbo...

Primal Fuel
    I have a fabulous recipe for chicken and sausage gumbo that's PB compliant... Exceot the roux. A good roux is traditionally (I think) made with an oil (in this case the recipe calls for vegetable oil) and flour.

I'm wondering if I could make a comparable roux with almond flour and olive oil. It has to get pretty hot, though, so I don't know if the olive oil would work.

I'm sure this is possible! I don't really want to use coconut oil just because I'd like to avoid the coconutty taste. Or maybe it wouldn't matter.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Almond flour will not make a roux. Nor will coconut flour. A roux needs gluten.

Alternatively, you can thicken gumbo with arrowroot powder. It will not change the flavor since you're used to a vegetable oil roux, not a traditional butter one. Oh that reminds me, add butter or bacon fat to your gumbo before you thicken it with the arrowroot. It will really REALLY put it over the edge.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Most gumbos you can just cook down to the desired consistency. Maybe okra thickening?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

I didn't know that about the gluten, thanks! Makes sense. I'll definitely try the thickening trick with arrowroot powder, and I'll add bacon fat or butter - or both! - before I thicken. And yes, I'll try cooking it down longer, too, and adding more veggies.

Thanks!

shannon is offline Senior Member
    never used flour or roux in gumbo. it still kicks ass without it. definitely okra and more veggies

slacker is offline Senior Member
    Roux would also be made with butter. It isn't necessary. Sliced okra is indeed a traditional alternative which turns gummy when cooked. I never used either. I always started mine with chopped onions browned in olive oil and then gently cooked them down to near goo and then just added less liquid as I went along. I always got a good thick consistency.

Brown your onions, your chicken and your sausage in butter or olive oil for extra flavor. Everything else should take care of itself pretty well.

For traditional taste, douse it liberally with ground thyme before serving. Ground sassafras is also traditional, but turns out to have a carcinogenic chemical in it.

You could also use xanthan gum to thicken it. But, just adjusting the liquid as you go along should work fine.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Somebody on here made gravy with almond flour and said it was good.

I thickened a stew-like dish with potato starch. In my experience, use about half the potato starch that you would flour.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

mendykj is offline Junior Member
    I have used arrorroot power for thickening and it worked out really great. I would love a copy a gumbo recipe if you wouldn't mind sharing. I haven't found one yet that I really like.

primal-belle is offline Junior Member
    I am a Louisiana girl and you're right. Real Gumbo is made with Roux. For years (before going primal) I used wheat flour and oil olive with no problem or change in taste. I am not sure about the nut flours I would probably use a thickening agent instead. Another option use a nut flour but only in a small sample pot. When I make Gumbo I make a large stock pot so wasting that much food would really bum me out if the flavor got messed up. Keep us posted, I would like to know for future endeavors.
    Last edited by primal-belle; 07-14-2010 at 05:05 PM.
    Cheers, Primal-Belle

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks everyone, I really appreciate your tips! I'm going to make a big pot this weekend so I'll definitely let you know how it goes. I'm planning on making it without the roux and then using twice the veggies and arrowroot powder if needed. Cooking a bunch of onions down first thing is a good thinking.

Here's the recipe (minus the roux); I grew up in the South and this is my go-to gumbo recipe.

1.5 cups chopped onions
    1 cup chopped celery
    1 cup bell peppers (red, yellow, green, whatever floats your boat)
    1 cup sliced okra
    1 lb Anduille sausage (or any sausage of your choice really, Kielbasa works well, too) sliced into "coins"
    1.5 tsp salt
    1/4 tsp cayenne
    3 bay leaves
    6 cups water
    1 lb boneless chicken cut into 1-inch chunks
    1 tsp Cajun seasoning (I use Emeril's Essence)
    2 Tb chopped parsley
    1/2 cup chopped green onions

So ordinarily I'd make a big thick gorgeous roux with oil and flour and then stir the veggies in, but failing that...

--Sauté the onions, celery, okra, and peppers in a big ol' glob of whatever fabulous fat you have on hand (I'm thinking I'll use bacon fat and butter) for four to five minutes

--add the sausage, bay leaves, salt, and cayenne and stir for three to four minutes

--add the water; stir until it's well-combined. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to medium low. Cook uncovered, stir occasionally

--toss the raw chicken chunks in a plastic bag with the Cajun seasoning (I generally throw in more than what it calls for here) and shake until the chicken is coated with the seasoning. Add chicken to the pot. Simmer for two hours.

Garnish with parsley and green onions.

Delicious! Sometimes I'll sauté the okra separately and throw it in later just so it doesn't totally fall apart, but that really comes down to whether you want your okra soft or semi-crunchy.

Enjoy!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast