Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone counting calories? page

aimlow is offline Senior Member

Anyone counting calories?

Primal Fuel
    Anyone out count calories in addition to carbs? What level of each have you found drops the weight?

I've been keeping my carbs under 50, and weight is not coming off. My calories may be too high at close to 2,000?

inforg is offline Member
    I try to stay in Mark's recommended weight loss zone of 50-100g carbs. While some may argue, if you are trying to lose weight, you should be creating a calorie deficit. Plug your information into a site like fitday.com to see what your estimated calorie burn is and what your intake is to get a feel for it.

I'm 30 days primal @95%+ and I am down 30 pounds and feeling great. Since I started at 300 pounds, my calorie burn (w/exercise 4000+) and what I can eat (2000-2500) are pretty high and still create a nice deficit. You have to figure out what your metabolic rate is and go from there.

Dannielle is offline Senior Member
    I count calories, too.

The # of calories that works for me might not work for you. You'd need to give more information for anyone to provide you with truly useful info.

Are you male or female?

How active are you?

how much weight are you looking to lose?

Some people will say calories are not a concern for them. Good for them! I'm jealous

I've found that I need to keep track of what I eat in order to be successful at losing. Generally I consume anywhere from 1250-1550 calories per day. I engage in 8-10 hours per week of light-moderate exercise (mostly light). I'm female and 39yrs old. I also have thyroid issues. I've lost 85lbs so far so I know this works for me. More calories than that causes me to stall or gain.

I keep carbs under 50g on days I don't exercise. I have been upping that to 75-125g on my biking days...the amount depends on how long I ride.
    Last edited by Dannielle; 07-14-2010 at 06:31 AM.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Obviously every person will be different, but to give you an idea of my situation...

I track from time to time on Livestrong, just out of curiosity. I've found (for me) weight loss tends to slow down and stop over 2300-2500 calories/no exercise (female/35/5'8" and have about 10lbs to lose still). Of course, once I go over 2000 cal/day, my carbs also creep up so that might have something to do with it. Effortless weight loss with primal exercise tends to happen around 60-70 g of carb/day and about 1800-2000 cals (eating to satiety, just inputting the data at the end of the day to see what I ended up with). When I track, I always weigh/measure...no guesstimates.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    I find that if I'm eating enough fat, I naturally have a calorie deficit. 1500- 1700 cal when I "should" be eating around 2100.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

TCOHTom is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I find that if I'm eating enough fat, I naturally have a calorie deficit. 1500- 1700 cal when I "should" be eating around 2100.
    So do you think the recommendations for caloric consumption may be another one of those CW 'facts'? More nutritional information based on a corporate-driven diet, SAD, rather on what is proper for human consumption? I know personally that if I made a list of all those things I believed 5 years ago and started to scratch off the ones I've found to be questionable today, not many entries would still be legible.
    Retirement has afforded me the ultimate affluence, that of free time (Sahlins/Wells)

JeanPatrick is offline Senior Member
    I don't count calories.

No animals do it and we have only been doing it for less than a 100 years. Much of the theory about calories is flawed (no calories are created equally).
    I eat when I am hungry. I stop when I am not anymore.
    Living the hard way has never been so easy!
    My paleo website : www.primaljournal.com

shannon is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JeanPatrick View Post
    I don't count calories.

No animals do it and we have only been doing it for less than a 100 years. Much of the theory about calories is flawed (no calories are created equally).
    I eat when I am hungry. I stop when I am not anymore.
    +1

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    So do you think the recommendations for caloric consumption may be another one of those CW 'facts'? More nutritional information based on a corporate-driven diet, SAD, rather on what is proper for human consumption? I
    Yes and no. Remember Mark's comparison of calories to wood in the book ("... a bit like saying the 2X4 studs in your house make good firewood...")?
    I think it's a good starting point and you tinker with it to find what works best for you.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

aimlow is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Dannielle View Post
    I count calories, too.

The # of calories that works for me might not work for you. You'd need to give more information for anyone to provide you with truly useful info.

Are you male or female?

How active are you?

how much weight are you looking to lose?

Some people will say calories are not a concern for them. Good for them! I'm jealous

I've found that I need to keep track of what I eat in order to be successful at losing. Generally I consume anywhere from 1250-1550 calories per day. I engage in 8-10 hours per week of light-moderate exercise (mostly light). I'm female and 39yrs old. I also have thyroid issues. I've lost 85lbs so far so I know this works for me. More calories than that causes me to stall or gain.

I keep carbs under 50g on days I don't exercise. I have been upping that to 75-125g on my biking days...the amount depends on how long I ride.
    I'm female, moderately active, looking to loose 10lbs. I too have a thyroid problem- hypothyroid for which I take synthroid. Have you found you need to modify your diet b/c of the thyroid?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast