Thread: Junkfood eater trying to go Primal page

eglue is offline Member

Junkfood eater trying to go Primal

Primal Fuel
    How Primal are you:
    I eat lots of meat! Veggies are not a favorite though. Struggling with this big time.

Do you consume dairy:
    Yes. Lots of 1% milk a day.

Do you drink coffee or tea:
    Not really. At last one diet coke a day though. Not good there too.

Motivator for switching to Primal:
    Well, it made sense to me. After reading some of Mark's book (still working on it) and watching a Standford professor talk about a study that covered low carbs dietary may in fact be good for you, I was convinced this is the way to go.

Favorite exercise:
    I do a HIIT workout written in a book called Body By Science. In my 34th week and it's been a tremendous change for me. I wish changing my diet would be as easy/dramatic though.

Favorite Primal food:
    Pork or steak. Preferably organic.

Best part about being Primal:
    Pork or steak.

Worst part about being Primal:
    Vegetables. Leafy greens. Hoping to find some help on what to do here.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    You'll get a taste for veggies. Start with the ones you do like, then expand from there. One thing I learned when I didn't like a food... such as liver, brussels sprouts, or cabbage... was more about how it was cooked than what it was. I learned to cook it differently and I actually liked it.

Welcome to the tribe!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Regarding the leafy greens: cook them with bacon! There are some leafy greens you may never acquire a taste for...I do NOT liked cooked spinach no matter how much I've tried to like it. I can really only partake if the spinach is overwhelmingly hidden by a bunch of cream and butter. I love raw baby spinach though...go figure. But collards and kale - bring 'em on! The creamed kale recipe in the PB cookbook is fantastic. Heck, I like kale simply tossed with olive oil, a few spices and roasted in the oven.

But my favorite way to make greens:
    4-6 strips of bacon (thinner cut I use 6, thicker cut I use 4)
    1 onion
    roughly 1.5 cups of chicken broth
    1 lb of kale or collards, chopped.

You need one deep pan (I use a deep porcelain coated cast iron pot)
    And one pot of boiling water to blanch the greens. And a colander.

cut the strips of bacon into smaller pieces and cook them on just over medium heat until they just start to get crispy (you don't want to burn it). Add the diced onion and cook until starting to get soft. While all that's going on, you need to have blanched your greens in the boiling water for 3-4 minutes or until they start to get limp (don't over cook). Drain them well and rinse with cold water. When your bacon/onions are ready, add in your greens and the chicken broth. Stir well, bring to boil, reduce the heat to a hard simmer and let it all reduce until the broth is nearly gone (about 20 minutes). Sir occasionally. Season w/salt and pepper. It's really hard to screw up that recipe..believe me, if it could be done I'd have done it by now. The whole recipe takes about 35 minutes, so it's not a last minute side dish...but it IS a really yummy one.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 07-13-2010 at 05:10 AM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Primal Toad is offline Senior Member
    Try making a primal green smoothie. I enjoy a daily smootihe and always add spinach, swiss chard, collared greens, or whatever greens I have at home.

Just add little fruit plus some avocado or coconut milk and greens!
    Find me at aToadontheRoad.com. Cheers!

Golden is offline Junior Member
    Like one of the other posters said, if you're having a hard time with dark green vegetables, cook it different. Saute kale or Brussel sprouts in butter/fat and sprinkle with garlic powder. Also, drop that 1% milk, you're just drinking carbs/sugar with no fat. Change it to whole or heavy cream, raw if you can find it.