Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New 180 degree post today page

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

New 180 degree post today

I've got my own opinions, but I'd like to hear what everyone thinks of this one.

http://180degreehealth.blogspot.com/...t-fasting.html

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Interesting.

I think IF is very overrated.

Let's say there are 5 ways to elevate catecholamines:
    1) Going long periods between meals
    2) Eating meals with less than 30 grams of carbohydrates
    3) Cutting calories
    4) Exercise
    5) Fasting

And there are 5 ways to lower catecholamines:
    1) Sleep
    2) Rest
    3) High-carbohydrate meals
    4) Excessive calorie intake
    5) Eating frequent, small meals
    A mixture of all of those would be ideal IMO.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post

A mixture of all of those would be ideal IMO.
    that makes the most sense.

very interesting read

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    I don't like going entire days without food. I'm more into skipping meals or eating within 6-8 hours instead of the long fasts. Food is too yummy.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

muaythaimike is offline Senior Member
    That article was a good read thanks for sharing. It makes sense that there would be pros and cons to intermittent fasting and it gives a very balanced approach to the issue. It gave me things to think about and maybe incorporate into my diet like the carb cycling every few days or on training days.

I just recently stumbled across Robb Wolf and I think even he isn't THAT crazy about intermittent fasting (at least my impression from the little I've read and listened to). He was saying it is promising and to flirt with it maybe once a month for some people or even once at week depending on the person. I have no experience with doing it myself but it is not something I could do for very long on or on a regular basis like many on this forum do. I'm not 100% sold on intermittent fasting, probably because I love to eat too much

P.S when I heard people talking about Robb Wolf on the forum I thought he was that raw vegan guy who loves raw chocolate hahaha
    "My mom made two dishes: Take it or Leave it." -- Stephen Wright, comedian

Canarygirl is offline Senior Member
    I think there's another thread on this topic somewhere, but this idea is what Diana Schwarzbein advocates in her low carb diet: keeping the adrenal and thyroid glands in balance. So regular meals that include 15-30 gms of carbs (depending on activity level) are encouraged, fasting is discouraged, stimulants are discouraged, same with calorie counting and not eating "enough" carbs (for your activity level); because any of these things will increase the adrenal gland output out of balance...too much stimulation. Increased adrenaline blunts the apetite but over the long term it can burn out your adrenals and make it harder to maintain your weight.

Mirrorball is offline Senior Member
    In all the studies I've checked, alternate-day fasting brought huge benefits to the animals (usually rats), the same benefits of calorie restriction or better. I think fasting every day is going too far and sometimes it seems like an eating disorder, but once or twice a week, why not?
    Height: 5'4" (1.62 m)
    Starting weight (09/2009): 200 lb (90.6 kg)
    No longer overweight (08/2010): 145 lb (65.6 kg)
    Current weight (01/2012): 127 lb (57.5 kg)

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    A lot of his articles are dedicated to helping worn out dieters with adrenal/thyroid/metabolism issues. And if you have adrenal issues, constantly elevated catecholamines isn't a good state to be in. But if you don't have issues Mirrorball, then fasting once in a while shouldn't be an issue.

I still plan on following 16/8 with re-feeds. But it was definitely an interesting read.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mirrorball View Post
    In all the studies I've checked, alternate-day fasting brought huge benefits to the animals (usually rats), the same benefits of calorie restriction or better. I think fasting every day is going too far and sometimes it seems like an eating disorder, but once or twice a week, why not?
    I also find the longevity studies to be the most impressive. caloric restriction and IF in animals with amazing results. thats alot of the motivation behind why I choose to fast.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Really guys? You want to live 100+ years while eating a miserable amount of food? What kind of life is that.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast