Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New 180 degree post today page 2

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by rphlslv View Post
    Really guys? You want to live 100+ years while eating a miserable amount of food? What kind of life is that.

I would like to live 100+ years. I mean yes their is a damn good possibility that the world will suck but at the same time technology changes so rapidly that I am very interested to see what will be around in that time. Also I do the 16 hour fast eat for 8 cycle and I deffinatly don't eat a miserable amount of food.

lmyers04 is offline Senior Member
    Really guys? You want to live 100+ years while eating a miserable amount of food? What kind of life is that.
    yes. and i eat a lot of food!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Your life can end by a simple car crash.

This obsession with longevity is too much.

Personally I'd rather live 10 years as a lion than 100 years as a sheep.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Your life can end by a simple car crash.

This obsession with longevity is too much.

who says its an obsession with longevity? I just want to live well into my 80s, is that such a bad thing to aspire to? And, if I enjoy my own methods and thoroughly enjoy my food and life, whats the big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    who says its an obsession with longevity? I just want to live well into my 80s, is that such a bad thing to aspire to? And, if I enjoy my own methods and thoroughly enjoy my food and life, whats the big deal?
    I was just saying that fasting everyday and living off a calorie deficit just to reach 100+ years is a little overboard.

ill take option #3 and live 70-80 years as a human.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    There are a lot of factors that can have an impact on longevity. Stuff that is so bad for us that the less the better like polyunsaturates, junk grains, and the like. Humans cook their food which means that we have tons of cellular protection against reactive oxygen species (we really really do), humans consuming these low calorie diets will almost certainly be nutrient deficient, which doesn't help anyone, and we need those nutrients for recovery and defense against bad stuff.
    methionine, tryptophan, and cysteine restriction produce huge results in longevity, and so does IFing that amounts to the same amount of total calories. The very high fat deal is promising as it constantly supplies the material for repair, and collagen proteins like gelatin can be in a part a replacement for the muscle meat. We can take various supplements like alpha-lipoic acid to regenerate glutathione and we can get a lot of really useful stuff from ruminant animals like l-carnitine, CLA, and such.

So I suspect that while caloric restriction may have some uses, perhaps the better path would be to mimic what is good about it without actually starving ourselves. Body hax, if you will. Grokologist will likely have some good stuff to say about this in the future.

I kind of agree with Matt stone that overfeeding is a very useful tool temporarily. There are cases of mitochondria in mice being genetically engineered to become more efficient and do more with less energy while producing less ROS. So if we can mimic that, possibly with a temporary over-feed, we will be better off for it.

That's mostly speculation but my point is that caloric restriction is not necessarily necessary.

edit: and if we end up restricting calories it will be because of such efficieny and good leptin signaling rather than some maniacal restriction scheme.
    Last edited by Stabby; 07-13-2010 at 12:14 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

I was just saying that fasting everyday and living off a calorie deficit just to reach 100+ years is a little overboard.
    yes i agree!! thats why i agreed with you earlier when you said an ideal situation would be a mixture of fasts and CR, with periods of non-fasting and higher calories. i think you nailed it there.

Quote Originally Posted by lmyers04 View Post
    yes i agree!! thats why i agreed with you earlier when you said an ideal situation would be a mixture of fasts and CR, with periods of non-fasting and higher calories. i think you nailed it there.
    Aha got you.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Ignorant of me to say so, but I could care-less about longevity in myself. Im much more interested in living more in the years I have.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast