Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Disturbing symptoms -- sudden-onset weakness, clumsiness -- possible causes??? page

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member

Disturbing symptoms -- sudden-onset weakness, clumsiness -- possible causes???

Shop Now
    Seemingly out of nowhere today, I began to have serious coordination problems and pronounced weakness. Activities that had been routine suddenly became extremely challenging and dangerous. I have been able to think of 3 changes that I've made in my diet and supplementation regimen in the last few days, which *may* (or may not be) the cause of this problem (which happened in late afternoon, after a normal morning):

a) I had been taking 12.5 mg of iodine every day, but after reading Mark's recent MDA blog post on the dangers of taking such a high dose without having diagnosed thyroid problems, I stopped taking it (3 days ago).

b) I began taking Primal Defense probiotic 1-2x/day (on an empty stomach, as recommended by the packaging) (3 days ago). Before I started this brand, I had been taking a different brand (Healthy Origins), 1-2x/day.

c) I attended a party yesterday, at which I ate certain foods that likely contained MSG, and had some of the leftovers for breakfast this morning. Note that I've never experienced serious MSG sensitivity at any point in the past, except for one headache, once. I don't make a habit of eating MSG-laden foods, of course, but I do use my "time off" from primal eating to indulge in certain foods that do contain it (e.g. major-chain pizza, etc.). Again, I've never had a serious reaction to MSG in the past (although, now that I think about it, I *did* stop eating Chinese food because my finger joints would swell up noticeably after eating it...).

I'm just hoping to hear people's thoughts about this. I'm hoping to hear that it's impossible/very unlikely that it's the new probiotic that would be causing these symptoms, as I've read many glowing reviews of this product. Is there a chance that these symptoms could be a "healing crisis" from the probiotics? From what I've read, healing crises tend to have more cold- or flulike symptoms, rather than mimicing the onset of a multiple sclerosis attack... I'm just really hoping that this problem resolves by itself. It would be good to know how to avoid a recurrence in the future.

Thanks for your input.
    Last edited by healthseekerKate; 07-12-2010 at 06:04 PM.

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Sudden "serious coordination problems and pronounced weakness" ...

Soooooooooooooo not something to mess with. Get to an ER.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Root beer is a modern day agent of natural selection. Sooner or later we will all be brilliant and the dumb ones will be dead. Either that or humans will all be horrible mutants, or dead.

*reaches for the paleo popcorn*
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I second Avocado.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    Yes, go to the doctor right away.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    Im more inclined it has to do with that high of an iodine intake and then suddenly dropping it. Could of had some effect on the thyroid.

How long were you on that 12.5 mg dosage, and damn that is high. But I shouldn't criticize without more info.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    And if you are going to the doctor, don't drive yourself. Get a cab or something.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

moonablaze is offline Senior Member
    this sounds WAY too much like a stroke for my tastes. please get a ride to the ER. even if it turns out to be from the dietary changes, better safe than dead.

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    Going to the doctor is not an option. As someone who already has a degenerative neuromuscular disorder, I am well aware of how useless modern medicine is, unless you have a traumatic injury that requires surgery or other mechanical solution.

Thanks for the advice, but my symptoms are not life-threatening. They appear to be neurological in nature (and not the typical characteristics of my other disorder), hopefully temporary, and the more I think about it, my guess would be that it's MSG sensitivity.

Fyi, I had been taking the 12.5 mg of iodine because I had suspected, based on several symptoms, that I had a thyroid deficiency. I had read about the diets of the Japanese, who *do* ingest these levels of iodine every day (via seaweed)... but what I didn't know, until Mark's blog post, was that soy products block the absorption of iodine, so that these high levels in their diets were likely not being processed by their bodies the way they would in someone such as myself who eats no soy.

I am going to see how this plays out. I'm hoping that with a good night's sleep, these symptoms may disappear by tomorrow. I'll report back.

geekgrrl is offline Senior Member
    yep. cab to the doctor. go.

ps. be careful about self medicating. Just cos you can buy something from the health food store and it's 'recommended' doesn't mean its right for you. You could easily have undiagnosed thyroid issues that you've just screwed with. These 'harmless vitamins' are often in fact quite powerful and create significant metabolic changes. (vitamin D case in point.)

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast