Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bought grass fed beef, wondering if it was a rip off ... page

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

Bought grass fed beef, wondering if it was a rip off ...

Primal Fuel
    We all know GF prices are very high.

I went in on half a steer with some people from a CrossFit gym that a buddy of mine belongs to. Long story short I paid close to 150 for about 14lbs of meat, but about half of that is ground beef! I think I have one ribeye, one strip, sirloin, etc. I'm a little disappointed. Especially considering my tenant (older Jamaican dude) just told me bought a whole goat in a nearby town for the same I paid for my 14lbs, he estimates the goat is about 30lbs or so. He picked it himself and they killed it and cut it for him. I didn't ask if it was GF, but he said he got it at a farm that also has cows for sale. I can only assume that its GF but possibly grain finished or something.

Oh, by the way, we got the beef from Simply Grazin' (in NJ) and they took forever to deliver, and despite the fact that we filled out a "cut" form they apparently sent much more ground beef than anybody asked for. So either I got screwed and got a ton of ground beef not being a member of the gym, or everybody got equally screwed. I mean, I guess at the end of the day it's still better quality meat and I'm sure I'll enjoy it anyway, but I figured I'd ask how everybody else feels about it.

For NJ primals, my tenant's going to let me know where he got the goat, somewhere in Wayne he says.

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Ow. I just paid $167 for 34-35 pounds, with delivery of July 22d. (So psyched!) My breakdown is 2 New York Strip or T-Bone Steaks, 2 Rib or Ribeye Steaks, 2 Top Sirloin Steaks(boneless), 15lbs of Ground Steak, 3lbs of Patties, 9-10lbs of Roasts, 4lbs.of Kabob, Stew, or Cube Steak.

So, while your overall price per pound is higher, your percentage of ground beef isn't much higher. I'm getting 18 pounds of burger (15 lb of ground steak + 3 lb of patties) out of 34/35 pounds.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Who did you order from?

AntonG is offline Senior Member
    o man i almost became a member of that farm and everything, definitely a rip off. go to the whole foods in princeton. you paid an average of $10.7 per pound. whole foods you can get grass fed ground beef for 6.99 and sirloin tip for like 7.99. plus no need to go through any bullshit memberships or fill out forms. these farmers charge too much

stockjohn is offline Senior Member
    I pay $5.99/lb for ground chuck or sirloin; $7.99-$10.99 per lb for flap steaks (flank, bavette, skirt etc); and $14.99 to $16.99/lb for premium (ribeyes, porterhouse, NY strip).

I buy it retail at a small grocer in SF.

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    May want to shop around a bit more - I recently put in an order with a local farm around here at about 5.70/lb for a good variety of cuts and thats not even a bulk order.

I bought the beef through a co-op here in Vegas so we got a deal on buying bulk. The beef is coming from Bar 10 Beef.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Ow. I just paid $167 for 34-35 pounds, with delivery of July 22d. (So psyched!) My breakdown is 2 New York Strip or T-Bone Steaks, 2 Rib or Ribeye Steaks, 2 Top Sirloin Steaks(boneless), 15lbs of Ground Steak, 3lbs of Patties, 9-10lbs of Roasts, 4lbs.of Kabob, Stew, or Cube Steak.

So, while your overall price per pound is higher, your percentage of ground beef isn't much higher. I'm getting 18 pounds of burger (15 lb of ground steak + 3 lb of patties) out of 34/35 pounds.
    Alright! Is this from Bar 10? Did my tip pay off? Do they deliver to that farmer's market? I miss Vegas sometimes. Lived there for three years.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Say Rahhh... You answered before I asked. Those are good folks raising your beef.

I've been in Vegas for a year and am pleasantly surprised that I like it. Soooo many things to do, and so much of it not on the strip.

On the "las vegas peeps" thread, MJ posted a link to a co-op here in town that went in on two cows from Bar 10 so that's why I got such a good price on 1/12th of a cow. So stoked to pick it up next week. =)

Thanks for the recommendation, Grol.
    ~Borges

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast