Thread: The Journey Begins page

RachelS is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal (RachelS)

Shop Now
    Hello, I'm a 25 (about a month from 26) year old female and I've always been blessed with a high metabolism. Also cursed, because I'm ALWAYS hungry. Usually if I go more than a few hours without eating something I start to get light headed. I've never been a super healthy eater, but I usually go in phases where I'll eat "healthy" for a little while (CW healthy that is) and then eat crappy for a little while. I've always liked the idea of eating healthy, but for me up to this point, there's been no consequence/benefit either way (I've never had problems with my weight, I'm 5'6" and 124 lbs).

So why not gorge on tasty pizza whenever I wanted? One thing I've never done is drink much soda, I've always preferred water to anything else 90% of the time. And I love dessert, but I've always been more apt to eat a small serving, then go back for more of the main course and skip any more dessert. I could eat 2-3 oreos and be done where most people want to eat the whole package. I also don't very often eat to the point of being stuffed, just full. People have always been amazed at how much I can eat though. Sit me down next to the football team and I'd likely eat the same amount as each one of them.

I stumbled onto the PB last weekend quite by accident (I was trying to find out if all bananas were organic because someone told me they were, or had very little pesticides). Then I spent the next hour going through pages of primal living and why grains are bad. Everything I read made me think "OMG this sounds amazing." I'm still happy with my weight but I've always known I'd eventually have to change the way I eat. I don't do much of any exercising but I've always had active jobs where I'm at least walking around all day and lifting periodically throughout. Within the last year, my belly isn't as flat as it used to be (no one but me probably notices but still...). And the PB finally gave me a reason I'd want to change the way I eat. I had no idea how awful grains were!

So my reasons for going primal are: to be more healthy overall, have more energy, and I'm excited to see if I'll stop being so hungry all the time. For me, primal just sounds right and I don't think I'll have much of a problem sticking to it (hopefully).

I've had zero grains since yesterday morning. For breakfast yesterday I had granola and plain yogurt. Snack later was carrots and lunch was a small salad with avocado (no dressing, I hadn't yet gone shopping for my primal conversion and willed myself not to bring anything with grains. This was it, I would be primal from here on out!). I also had an orange with lunch. After work, it was to the grocery store! The local fresh food store had a killer deal on grass-fed ground beef so I stocked up on that, as well as a multitude of other meats that were not so well taken care of (I'm going primal on a budget). Of course lots I also took home a nice array of vegetables and fruit, and also some macadamia nuts and pistachios.

Dinner last night was meatballs (grass-fed ground beef, sausage, garlic, onion, egg, parsley, basil, and oregano) with broccoli and cabbage on the side (fried with olive oil, garlic, and balsalmic vinegar), it was so good! I had a couple of blueberries later, but really wasn't hungry. This morning I left for work without eating breakfast! (When I was younger I'd get an upset stomach on the bus if I didn't eat breakfast and I've ALWAYS eaten breakfast since). I felt somewhat rebellious not eating breakfast this morning but PB says if you're not hungry you don't have to eat right? Then I started getting hungry a couple hours later and told myself I could wait until break. Then I started not feeling so good and grabbed a few carrots and blueberries. At break time I ate a few more carrots and blueberries with a few bites of my lunch. That made me feel much better. At lunch time I dined on the rest of my BEATs, and actually didn't even finish it. I worked through the rest of the day completely satisfied!

After I got home, I ate a few carrots and a small handful of pistachios and macadamia nuts. I started dinner (there is some salmon marinading right now) then decided to fry the salmon skin in the bacon grease from last night (mmmm, that'll hold me until dinner). So tonight will be baked salmon with green beans and cabbage (probably prepared the same as the broccoli last night).

Thank you for reading, I look forward to getting to know you all!
    Last edited by RachelS; 01-19-2015 at 03:13 PM.

Day 5

Still going strong! Breakfast was egg/onion/cabbage scramble with tomatoes on top. Lunch was a salad with egg, tomatoes, and mushrooms. Made my own dressing (olive oil, apple cider vinegar, dried savory, and onion powder). The salad didn't turn out very good, I think I'll buy different lettuce next time (this was a seasonal 3 leaf blend) and maybe less vinegar in the dressing. It wasn't horrible though. When I got home, I had a couple strawberries and a small handful of blueberries. Oh, and I also had a cup of oolong tea earlier, black. Dinner tonight is stuffed green peppers, mmm.

So far, I don't think I've really gotten the "carb flu". I was pretty tired today, but I didn't sleep very well last night. I definitely notice my apatite changing and I'm not hungry as often as I used to be. And when I do get hungry, it's not the "I have to eat soon or I'm not going to make it" kind of hungry. It's more of a "yeah, I can tell I'm getting hungry, but it can wait" kind of hungry.

I haven't been craving any grains really, just candy or sweets lol. But when I want sweets, I eat some fruit and that satisfies my cravings. I have acne on my face (have had it since high school) and I was reading someone else's journal that said grains, dairy, or sugar can trigger it. So I'm also nixing all dairy and added sugar of any kind for the beginning to see if that clears my acne up. If it goes away, I'll reintroduce them one at a time to see if anything changes.

Day 12

Feeling good today! Didn't get a whole lot of sleep last night, but it was still a good day. I woke up a little late and only grabbed a few grapes for breakfast. Even then, I wasn't starving by the time I was able to eat again. I didn't even finish my whole salad at lunch. By this time right now, I'm usually digging through the cupboards for something to eat but not today! I'm a little hungry, but not much.

I have noticed it seems like I'm more hungry at times that I'm sitting around rather than up and moving. I'm not sure if it's just boredom or something else. While I'm at work all day I'm barely hungry, then I get home and sit down and just want to keep eating once I start. I noticed it this past weekend too, I seemed more hungry the whole day. It doesn't help that it's freezing and snowy here, so I don't want to go out and do anything.

So far, I've had zero deviations from the primal diet. I'm being strict with myself so I can hopefully find out what causes my acne. It does seem to be getting better though, hopefully it continues to go away! I broke out on my chin this weekend, but before that I had a few days with no new spots.

My mom is going primal too, she started a few days after me. She's been overweight for as long as I can remember and she's really excited about changing the way she eats. She's been sticking to the plan and she said it feels so natural to eat this way. She's lost 10lbs already!

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day 21

I made it, still going strong! Feeling pretty good and my acne seems like it's starting to clear up.
    Short and sweet today, dinner is cooking. (steak and veggies, mmm)