Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Leaky Gut Treatment? page

NewlyPrimed is offline Senior Member

Leaky Gut Treatment?

Shop Now
    Hi everyone,
    Is there a definitive and effective treatment for Leaky Gut aka Intestinal Permeability? (I am getting tested soon. My nutritionist claims she can treat it with supplements).
    Thanks!

oranges123 is offline Member
    If there was a single definitive treatment wouldn't you have heard about it by now? Especially if it was as simple as just taking a supplement(s).

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Yup, I'd say there is.

Combination of smart supplementation and dietary/lifestyle change. Paleo is generally conducive to working in conjunction with supplements to heal leaky gut. Supplementation, however is very person specific based on outcome of several labs.

Supplements alone wont do any good though. They have to be combined with lifestyle change. I would assume your nutritionist will make some recommendations in this regard.

John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewlyPrimed View Post
    Hi everyone,
    Is there a definitive and effective treatment for Leaky Gut aka Intestinal Permeability? (I am getting tested soon. My nutritionist claims she can treat it with supplements).
    Thanks!
    With supplements your leaky gut will become your leaky wallet. There are multiple possible causes, high lectin in grains being a notable common one. You cannot supplement yourself past bad lifestyle choices.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Let us know what your nutritionist suggests.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Energy! is offline Senior Member
    Stop eating wheat and other gluten grains for a trial period of 3 or more months. Reassess.

No charge.

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    gelatin.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

Ernest Hemingway

NewlyPrimed is offline Senior Member
    Hi everybody,
    Thanks for your responses. Here is some background. I have not eaten grains (except brown rice) for at least 9 months. I stopped soy and other beans at least 18 months ago. I dropped shellfish and tree nuts (except Macadamias) about 18 months ago too. I have been a Great Lakes gelatin consumer for at least 6 months. My joints are doing much better, my IBS is much better, and my reflux has mostly disappeared.

It sounds like there is a lot of disagreement on treating Leaky Gut. It sounds too like if it is treatable at all, the treatment is very individualized. Have any of you been tested for it and been cured? What did you do?

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewlyPrimed View Post
    Hi everybody,
    Thanks for your responses. Here is some background. I have not eaten grains (except brown rice) for at least 9 months. I stopped soy and other beans at least 18 months ago. I dropped shellfish and tree nuts (except Macadamias) about 18 months ago too. I have been a Great Lakes gelatin consumer for at least 6 months. My joints are doing much better, my IBS is much better, and my reflux has mostly disappeared.
    Based on your symtomatic improvements I would say that yours is in the process of healing. Good job!

The diet is generally paleo. That part doesn't really change in terms of dietary recs. Stage of adrenal fatigue, thyroid panel outcomes, stool sample, metabolic panel ......these things may alter the recommendations for individual circumstances, but I would estimate these special cases to be greatly in the minority. Most of the time simply eating paleo, exercising and resting smart (i.e. Care for your structural integrity), and consuming a great deal of bone broth is sufficient.
    Last edited by Neckhammer; 01-17-2015 at 08:19 AM.

McCloud is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I was just about to ask a similar question.. I have never been tested for intestinal permeability, but I am assuming I do have a leaky gut. At the moment, I don't have any other symptoms except skin rash / eczema - which I have always had. The severity and location changed with years.. before mostly on my arms, now it's on my neck, chin and nose. Always exactly the same spot!

I am trying to heal the gut for a very long time now, but I feel that it isn't helping at all. This is my protocol based on research and information that I have:
    - glutamine
    - bone broth
    - gelatin (use that with the broth interchangeably)
    - zinc
    - resistant starch
    - kefir and sauerkraut(or probiotics)
    - omega3s

Of course I tried eliminating gluten and dairy. I don't see a damn change.. still the same skin issues than when I was 15. But I suspect it's the dairy, so I might try dropping that for 2 weeks again, although it'll be hard.
    I'd really want to take some tests, otherwise I don't know if it is actually doing something or not. Seems to me like a waste of money, time and energy.

Anybody with a similar issue actually seing any improvements to the symptoms ?
    Last edited by McCloud; 01-20-2015 at 04:40 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast