Thread: Weight Training Progress and Detraining page

yodiewan is offline Senior Member

Weight Training Progress and Detraining

I saw this write-up on a study today:
    Will Taking a Break From Weight Training Hurt Your Progress in the Gym? AnthonyColpo

What do y'all make of it? Would we really be better served by taking more frequent deloads?

A few years ago, I did 5/3/1 by the book (deload every 4th week - lighter weights + volume) for a few months. It seemed to work pretty well. Lately I've just been going until I feel the need for a deload week. This usually happens every 10 weeks or so. I know we all need to find what works for us personally and all that. Just thought I would present this for consideration and discussion.

Steady is offline Senior Member
    I'm on the last day of my second week of my first 5/3/1 cycle (that was a mouthful) so I don't have any personal experience as of yet regarding deloads but I've been doing some reading and from what I understand, it's a good idea to take a step back, refine the form, rest up then crack on with your next cycle refreshed and ready to smash it.

The study shows that this is the case. Muscle/ strength is hard to gain so it will be just as hard to loose. A weeks rest (or even 3 in the case of this study) shouldn't have a detrimental effect. The body has to work damn hard to gain that mass, it sure ain't giving it up quickly.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I took a year long deload from weights, and here on my third cycle of 531 after starting up again, I'm smashing old prs.

That said, I wasn't inactive in that year, but did things like push-ups and pull ups, and other bodyweight stuff.

But I'm definitely less scared of deloads causing regressions now ;-)

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    6 month study on untrained 25 year olds. I'm very not convinced.
    The Champagne of Beards

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Good points, Rich. I was going to come back and point that out. I imagine that more highly trained individuals will lose relatively more from such a long deload. If taking 3 weeks off worked for maximal strength I'm sure power lifters would do it.

Ghshl is offline Senior Member
    I wouldn't take three weeks of, but I definitely can feel stronger after a deload week with just lower weights.
    531 originally advocated every fourth week should be a deload, and for me that seemed to often. Am doing every seventh now, as per Wendler's newer recommendations, and that seems a better fit for me.

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I never liked light weeks. Just makes me sore and weak when I start back up. Light day in the week, yes. Light entire week, never again.
    The Champagne of Beards