Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Green peas, legume :-( page

visionteacher is offline Member

Green peas, legume :-(

Shop Now
    I just found out that one of my favorite veggies is actually a legume. I would never have guessed it of green peas. Is there an official verdict on them?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Cut them out.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

trapperjohnme is offline Senior Member
    i thought that they werent really considered a legume since they do not have to be processed to eat. that is what i heard about green beans anyway.

Bostonbully is offline Senior Member
    I say eat the damn things. Mark had a blog where he said go ahead and eat legumes you just have to soak them and cook them first. I wouldn't go pounding can, bag or whatever one after another but eating peas will not hurt you.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    eat them!.....in moderation. They're yummy, especially in curries
    ya know, I'm starting to get really sick of how we classify things by certain criteria that are totally irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether you eat something or not. So, peas are classified in the legume category and legumes are off limits....but, they're peas! they are still different from the other legumes. I don't care that they meet x,y, and z criteria so they are technically legumes and not veggies. These classifications are just something that we humans made up and don't necessarily mean anything. I take every single different food item individually and decide for myself if I should eat it regardless of what "family" of foods they fit in.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    eat them!.....in moderation. They're yummy, especially in curries
    ya know, I'm starting to get really sick of how we classify things by certain criteria that are totally irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether you eat something or not. So, peas are classified in the legume category and legumes are off limits....but, they're peas! they are still different from the other legumes. I don't care that they meet x,y, and z criteria so they are technically legumes and not veggies. These classifications are just something that we humans made up and don't necessarily mean anything. I take every single different food item individually and decide for myself if I should eat it regardless of what "family" of foods they fit in.
    +1!!!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    ya know, I'm starting to get really sick of how we classify things by certain criteria that are totally irrelevant when it comes to deciding whether you eat something or not. [....] I take every single different food item individually and decide for myself if I should eat it regardless of what "family" of foods they fit in.
    Although we have little virtual communities for primal/paleo eating, it is all an individual effort. People need to make decisions based on their bodies and their goals. I didn't need to lose weight, I chose primal eating to deal with chronic health problems, therefore I am going to be more stringent with what I do and don't eat. The OP was asking about peas as legumes and legumes as primal. The answer is no.

And peas as a legume is not a made up idea. It's botany.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Although we have little virtual communities for primal/paleo eating, it is all an individual effort. People need to make decisions based on their bodies and their goals. I didn't need to lose weight, I chose primal eating to deal with chronic health problems, therefore I am going to be more stringent with what I do and don't eat. The OP was asking about peas as legumes and legumes as primal. The answer is no.

And peas as a legume is not a made up idea. It's botany.
    Exactly. It's botany, not nutrition.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Yep, they're legumes. So are peanuts, by the way.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I figure if I can eat them raw, I eat them. I eat peas (especially in the pods) and green beans. I say they're ok.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast