Thread: Do you adjust your omega 3 dosage according to your meals? page

NoMoreGrains is offline Member

Do you adjust your omega 3 dosage according to your meals?

I was wondering, is it a good idea to take less fish oil when you're eating a fairly omega 3 heavy meal, and more when you're eating meals with less than ideal ratios? Here are some examples: take 1 or 2 grams (or maybe none at all) of fish oil when I'm eating fish, take slightly more when I'm eating beef, and take more when I'm eating chicken or pork. Should all meals be supplemented the same?

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, this is what I do. Normally, I will take a total of 1.8 grams of fish oil (EPA + DHA). If on any given day (which usually is most of the days of the week) I will consume fatty cuts of meat, then I will either up the dose or eat canned salmon with my BAS. If I eating fresh salmon for dinner, then I will not consume that much fish oil. I have heard that beef, even grain feed, have a very low omega 6, even the fattier cuts, so you won't need that much fish oil. I am not sure if this is true.

The amount of fish oil really depends on how much omega 6 you consume. I will certainty up the dose if you are eating non-organic/grass feed fatty cuts of meats.
    Last edited by Zed; 07-12-2010 at 04:59 PM.