Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sysof's Journal page

Sysof is offline Member

Sysof's Journal

Shop Now
    I'm new around here. Been lurking for a while and reading everything I can possibly get my hands on about primal living. It all makes such sense to me.

I've done umpteen-gazillion diets in the past without much success at all. I'm not a yo-yo dieter. I'm a failed dieter. Learned a lot though. I feel better on lower carb. "Healthy" shakes/bars/packets of laboratory concoctions do not in any way make me feel better. Moving around is the only thing that keeps me from passing out during the day from extreme fatigue.

I don't remember names, but the first success stories I read on this site were from a woman who started around 500 pounds - a nurse I think she was - and lost down to normal. And the entertaining, white-bearded man standing shirtless in the snow with his arms spread to the gray sky.

My scale read 459.4 yesterday. I've been eating mostly primal for a week. Water retention has plummeted. Spent 4 days sick and in bed this week (germs!) and just coming out of it now.

I want to save my life. Dramatic, huh?

40 year old woman, 5'6", takes supplements, starting to learn about EFT and mindfulness, drinks 3/4 gallon of water/day, loves butter and cheese (too much!), staying under 50 carbs/day (I feel better on low carb) and in the neighborhood of 2000 calories (which fills me up nicely), tracking at MyFP, poor, so grass-fed/organic is out of the question at the moment. I can barely afford meat! I also can't really take walks or do situps or anything at this point. I'm going to give resistance bands and try to start off slowly. I'm a writer, so quite sedentary by necessity, but I have an alarm that goes off every 20 mins so I get up for a bit.

So many people on this forum and site appear to be quite healthy, fit, muscular people trying to tweak out that last muscle in their abs or in training for the omg-why-would-anyone-ever-run-that-far-for-fun race or something. I learn so much here and think the journal's great for accountability, so here I am.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Welcome aboard, and I hope that Primal will be a major success for you. I too, had failed on numerous weight campaigns, and have found lasting success with Primal. You identify "primal living" in your opening, and that is important to keep in mind, the program is far more than just a diet program.

A couple of observations, if I may:
    I think that exercise will be the key for you. At 5'6” and 459 lbs, I can see why you have trouble with walks/sit ups etc. To start with, I'd try and find a low-impact routine that you can do to begin building strength/stamina. I have an Air-Dyne exercise bike and think this type of device would be a good solution for you. It allows you to work both arms and legs and can easily scale your workouts up and down in intensity. Something along that line would be a good way for you to start if you can get access to one. I'm a huge fan of walking, so would also encourage you to try and work up your ability to walk. Starting slow and easy is the key, and work up gradually as you say about the exercise bands. Don't sweat it if you can't do much to start with, you'll find that getting going with a very gradual build up program will show good results over a period of time. I like your 20 minute work break schedule, very similar to what I do, I go for 22 minutes with automatic restart, and take the 2 minutes to do some light exercise and walking. Have you entertained a standing desk for your working? Here is a link to my super cheap, easy to set up/knock down “desk” idea that you could experiment with to see if a standing desk will work for you. http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1487307

Are you currently doing the 50 carbs and 2K calories, or is that an objective? At your weight, these numbers would seem to me to be very low as your starting point. I would suggest to you that getting your carbs up towards Marks upper end of the carb curve for weight loss would be a good idea to start with, you may have some problems with going as low as 50. I also think that trying to hit a calorie count is not a good approach. I would encourage you to stick to the basic Primal plan of what foods to eat, then eat when you are hungry, and stop when you are no longer hungry (not when full). Try to avoid eating just because it is "breakfast/lunch/dinner" time. Let your body self-regulate your food intake. By doing this, you'll find that your carb intake and calorie intake will both moderate. I think if you take this approach you will find that you will feel better and the weight will come off pretty steadily, with some surges down, and plateaus along the way. I, too, find the grass fed option for meat to be a problem, just get the best quality you can afford and avoid the "boxed carb" foods at the store.

Lastly, give it time. You have spent many years getting to where you are, it will take time to see big results, but hopefully you will quickly feel better, find your clothes fitting more loosely and begin to see some weight fall off. Try weighing only once per week, and use your tape measure to check waist etc. once a month.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Sysof is offline Member
    Thank you so much for the response and all the info and observations.

I am currently around 50 grams per day and my calories usually end up around 2000. I'm not particularly trying to keep it there. It's just happening. Some days I have to try to eat more calories. I'm having two real meals a day w/ meat/fat/veg and sometimes an apple or sweet potato. In the morning I munch some veggies but don't feel like a whole meal. I'm really trying to pay attention to hunger and energy levels and eat accordingly instead of the usual eat whenever for whatever reason that got me here. Eating schedules have never really been a part of my life.

I have past experience with Atkins and I know lower carb makes me feel better, but having the extra carbs (instead of 20 induction level) each day really helps me actually feel alive.

The standing desk idea is interesting, but I can't imagine standing in one spot for 10 hours a day either... even if I could. I really can't at this point. Trying to do more general overall activity is the plan at this point.

I laughed a bit ruefully at thoughts of how I would fit into paleo society... sitting in the cave on some mammoth skins maybe sorting the leaves and berries. Of course, I'm sure no one was obese then. It's going to take me a while to leave the cave, but I'm working on it.

On the standing desk -- it may not work for you, but once again this is an area where you would start slow and easy, and build it up over time. When I first started trying to do standing desk, I could not stand for very long without being really tired,that's why I found the wire racks nice, I could put them up on my desk and then take them down after I was "done." Initially, I was not comfortable doing more than about 30 minutes a day. Now I stand most of the time, having cobbled together a "real" standing desk out of an old kitchen hutch, but still sit some, and use a single wire rack to elevate the PC screen up to eye level when sitting. I do the 20 minutes on, 2 minute breaks to move around and keep the legs fresh. And, note that you will not just plant yourself like a tree in one spot, you will do a lot of fidgeting around and weight shifting. It does take some adjustment time though.

I'm not particularly trying to keep it there. It's just happening.
    Good stuff on how you are handling the food. It seems to me you are on the right path there but still think you are too low on the carbs, given your starting weight. But, it is your n=1, you have the Atkins experience as a marker, so do what makes you feel right. With your food pattern in place as it is, then it would seem to me that once you get started building up your exercise, you should see good results fairly quickly.

I'm not sure there is a one dimensional "paleo society" to fit into. You'll find the normal wide gamut of folks, some ornery, some blunt, most quite helpful, all of us with our own strong opinions and particular areas of interest. The single uniting thread for all is striving for better overall health, feeling and living better. Just remember you can't hunker down in the cave - ya gotta get out for some fresh air and sunshine, so put on your bear skin, kick off your shoes, grab your spear and hunt down your own grass fed meat, and stalk some of that wild asparagus. As far as obesity is concerned, I think here you will also find a wide variety, I've stabilized at a weight where my body feels very good, but by CW standards I'm still much too short for my weight.

Sysof is offline Member
    Shopping for family gathering at a market I usually don't go to today. Bought myself a lean steak and some bokchoy and cauliflower (two of the best veggies on earth, besides Brussels sprouts).

I didn't exactly zoooom down the aisles, but neither did I balk at having to walk all the way back to the start to get the bread I forgot (not for me!) No leg cramp like usual. No severe back pain that leaves me hobbling to the car wondering if I can bend enough to get behind the wheel. It was nice. My feet are already back to normal size with all the swelling gone. Normal for me, anyway... Even way back when I wasn't obese, I had large feet. Extremely wide. EEEE. You know what woman's shoes they make in EEEE? White rubber nurse shoes and orthopedic velcro slippers. One of my goals for the year is to start making myself leather moccasins that actually fit my feet. Pretty close to barefoot, which is my favorite, but obviously impossible when out and about.

So today: took my vits, already drank 1/2 gallon of water, good food to eat, some quick shopping exercise (maybe I can start taking walks when it's not super freezing) and on to work.

Sysof is offline Member
    I'm still here! Was a bit non-paleo over the weekend for one special occasion, but still paid attention to hunger signals instead of omg-I-want-another-helping-'cause-it's-yummy signals. I know I didn't drink enough water for 3 days either... but again, back to that as of yesterday.

Lately not bothering to eat till around 11:00am. When I dieted before, I had to eat breakfast or I would end up binging madly around 3:00pm till dinner time. Now, I'm not hungry. My energy starts to flag at 11:00, so I eat something. If I do eat something before lunch, it's just some raw veggies.

My kids (2 teen boys) are grumbling a bit about changes I'm making to their diets as well. No more packaged french fries with preservatives and food coloring or whatever they put on them. They're getting potato wedges with some butter and sea salt. They say they're good enough if they use a lot of ketchup, which we've always bought organic with natural ingredients. More chicken, steak and chops rather than sausages and pre-packaged chicken strips that have extra ingredients. I made them eat celery today. I got some dirty looks.

Me? I'm about to eat some chicken, onions, celery and mushrooms roasted with some butter, garlic and sea salt. And get back to work.

Norajane718 is offline Member
    Welcome! It's awesome that you are making such great changes. Your roasted chicken, onion, mushroom and celery dish sounds so delicious! I need to make that.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Sysof is offline Member
    Another week down. Must work on eliminating cheese. I'm a bit of an addict, and that's no way to decide what to eat. Also, pretty sure cheese isn't primal. I know I didn't drink enough water this past week too. A bit bloated again.

Down 1.6 pounds this second week.

While you'll find some mixed opinions here, I think cheese is OK. If you tolerate dairy, as I do, cheese doesn't seem to be a problem. Just don't over-indulge.

Sysof is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yah, I read that cheese is OK for some, but since I have a very hard time controlling my consumption of it, I figure it might be better to just try to cut it out completely and see how I feel. Cheese isn't required for life. (Demon on my shoulder whispering Oohhhh yesss it isssss.)

I bought celery today. It has no strings at all and tastes a bit like onions. Odd.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast