Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have to take a few steps back... page

Venna is offline Member

Have to take a few steps back...

Primal Fuel
    I've not been on for a week or so, and I'm sure nobody noticed anyway. I have been eating primal for about 6 weeks, a month and a half and after purchasing primal fair for three shopping trips in a row I find I cannot afford to sustain this eating pattern. Since I'm not only buying food for me but for other people who choose not to eat primal, I am still purchasing all the other things I did and the primal fare is just too much for my budget.

Until I am making about twice as much as I make now (and can actually start paying my child care provider) I have to put primal eating on the back burner, for the most part. I won't actually be eating that differently from when I wasn't primal, I didn't eat a lot of grains/breads for food anyway, it was an occassional thing so I'll just go back to that and keep away from the chips, crackers, cookies and candy which triggers the carb binging for me more then other things do.

It's frustrating that good food costs so much more then bad food and it's bad that I have to make a choice between eating well and buying diapers and paying rent. I could go off on the inequality of pay vs. work in the US (particulary in Oregon where the minimum wage increased to $8.40 an hour) but that wouldn't be what this forum/website is about.

Anyway, I'll probably pop in from time to time but won't be around like I used to be otherwise I'll just stress myself out about not being able to pursue this when I know it really is in my best interest health wise. Take care and Grok on!

V~
    What's for dinner? Dead cow!

inforg is offline Member
    Don't give up Venna. I know from my trips to the farmer's markets and whole foods that it can be pretty pricey to eat as you get nearer to "ideal", "clean" foods, but there is some middle ground here - especially with the 80/20 concept.

Concentrate on eliminating all of the "bad" stuff like grains, legumes, processed foods, etc, but don't worry so much about whether that jumbo package of beef flank was organic, grass fed, hippie approved or not. Are your eggs Omega 3 enhanced? - Who cares.

As far as feeding the rest of the non-primal family, look at trimming some money from that side of the budget too. You may find that not only are you saving some cash, but they will be eating a little healthier too. A couple ideas, since I am also from oregon. I'm hoping you are in the Portland area.

Angel Food Ministries:
    https://www.angelfoodministries.com/

Check for the closest location to where you are at. This is not a typical food outreach program. They purchase large amounts of quality foods and distribute them through non-profit groups for an extraordinary price. Like $30 for about $85 worth of food.

Oregon Food Bank:
    http://www.oregonfoodbank.org

Look, if the budget is tight go down and grab some groceries. That is what it is donated for.

Reser's Fine Foods Outlet Store:
    www.resers.com

The main facility on Jenkins Rd in Beaverton has an outlet store where they sell over produced product and other things by the case. You can literally get cases of food for less than the price of a single unit at the grocery store.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    If you're in charge of the cooking in your household, I'd just tell them to shut up and eat the food you give them. I dont know what your family situation is??(eg a partner/child who doesnt want to eat primal??) but perhaps if you asked them to try just one month on your eating plan, ie, no junk, and then you wouldnt have to buy all the other stuff... bribe them...

Personally I have found that our supermarket shop is a lot less since we started to eat more primally and ditched some of the crap. But man, do we buy a lot of bacon and eggs now!!!

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member
    We all have to make adjustments sometime, and I hope everything works out for the better!

Just an idea, eating is only part of the primal lifestyle, there is still sleeping, not stressing/playing, getting sunlight, exercise, ect... So don't give up just yet. Do your best to improve on the other factors, and when you can, eat primally. No doubt in my mind you'll still be better off than where you were before!

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

Minxxa is offline Senior Member
    I totally understand doing the best you can! Just a few years ago my entire grocery/supplies budget (including shampoo, soap, laundry det, etc) was between $90-$120/month for me and my two kidlets. So I totally get it.

For me however, eating primally isn't any more expensive than it was before. I can get veggies pretty cheap (I don't do organic), and then I buy chicken or roasts on sale and it lasts me a long time. A pack of chicken at the store (thighs) is around $7.00 for me and that would last me a week and a half or so. Eggs, too... I get them at Trader Joes and usually they're about $1.60/dozen. Two a day is one meal for me, so almost a week there as well, served with their apple bacon, which is about 3.60 and would last me a week. I can feed just myself primally for about $25/week, eating big ass salads, chicken, tuna eggs and bacon, and the occasional roast.

Just throwing that out there because I hear often around here how expensive it is to eat primal and I wonder what people are buying... maybe some stuff that's not really necessary?

But besides all of that, just avoiding the toxic stuff will help so much... and like EG said... there's resting, sunlight, walking, playing, too! So definitely try to enjoy those aspects that are free!
    "Boy I got vision and the rest of the world is wearing bifocals" - Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I`m on a super tight budget feeding my family while hubby and I are both in university so here`s what we do:

Nothing organic.
    no grass fed range grazed cage free anything. All of our meat is from costco.
    Order coconut oil online when there are sales.
    make the food stretch with veggies, and by making bone broths and lots of soups and stews etc.

Someday we will be able to afford organics and better meat etc, but for now we just take fish oil (also from costco.)

Fern is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry your having trouble, I really hope it gets better for you. I know where you are coming from, me and my husband work for one company and neither of us are getting paid this week, last week we only got to work 2 days so our paycheck was close to nothing and my boss owes us $500 in back pay. So we won't be going shopping again this week. I have been stopping by a local farm stand with some saved up change so that I can buy some strawberries and grapes for my son. And we are just about out of meat and frozen veggies. But this is life and I'm sure we will all get through it. Just do what you can with what you have and when things get better then you can start eating pb again.... and we will miss you! I have read many of your posts I just never have anything good to say so I am more of a reader than a poster.

Venna is offline Member
    Thanks everyone for your advice and I will definitely take it to heart. I'm sure as things progress I'll be able to work more primal eating back in and will continue to not consume the grains, pasta and cereals. I just can't afford to keep buying the fresh fruit and veggies for me that I've been buying. We already eat a lot of meat, chicken, beef and I eat fish when I can. Bacon is too costly to eat on a regular basis and eggs are fine and fairly inexpensive too so I'll keep those on hand. I will keep as close to primal as I can because I truly believe this is the best way to live healthy and with the energy I need to keep up with my son. I'll probably still pop in from time to time simply because I've gleaned a lot of good information here and will always be grateful to those that have provided it.
    What's for dinner? Dead cow!

Jason VT is offline Senior Member
    Venna,
    I find that stocking up on the simple things when they're on sale is a great way to save money. Go to your local bulk food store (Costco, BJs or whathaveyou) and get a big package (or two) of ground beef, pork loins and chicken drumsticks or thighs; it's usually always cheaper than normal supermarkets by a good amount. We also stock up on lots 'o frozen veggies and nuts there too. If you're worried about the food aspect that much try "converting" the remainder of your household; the kids don't need mac and cheese or cereals (that was a battle for us).

Otherwise, just do as has been suggested and focus on living as Primally as you can until your budget increases (go to GetRichSlowly.org for some great advice on how to save $, too).

shannon is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    so sorry to hear this. just do your best to nourish yourself and your child. do whatever it takes. frzn veg and berries are usually cheaper. looking forward to having you back, good luck.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast