Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal - Stickwaster page

stickwaster is offline Junior Member

Primal Journal - Stickwaster

Shop Now
    My path to Primal. I once, long ago, in decent shape. At least it seemed so. I could take off and run 10 plus miles at any given moment. I ran 10-15 miles weekly and lifted weights 3 times a week. I rode a bike to work, 5 miles one way, nearly every day. I typically walked the mile to the store if I needed some bread or milk. And my weight had never been a problem for me.

Then my life situation changed. I changed jobs, went back to college, and stopped running. Going to school full time, working, raising 2 small boys with my wife. Just didn't seem like there was any time to sleep let alone exercise. So a year later, after living on mostly Reeses Cups and Mt Dew, I found myself 100 pounds heavier. I tried a few times to lose the weight unsuccessfully and just kinda resigned myself to being fat.

But a few months ago I started having stomach problems. Enough so that I called the doctor. Keep in mind I hate doctors. Ok, I'm afraid of them. They always want to give me a pill for some symptom but never want to find out what the cause is. So I just don't bother with them. Well throwing up blood and puking in the middle of the night got my attention. But since I'm a new patient they couldn't see me for 3 months. So I was going to have to do something myself in the meantime.

I started investigating possible causes. If I ignored WebMD telling me that I was going to die a horrible death and there was nothing I could do about it, then it seemed to leave sugar and/or wheat. I can't argue that sugar is bad especially in the quantities that I was eating it. (about 500-600 grams a day) And my dad had a problem with wheat so that was also possible. So I made a plan. Eliminate sugar, things that acted like sugar like potatoes, all grains just to be sure, processed food because of sugar and unpronounceable chemicals, and fast foods because that can't be good for you. So I was left with meat, veggies, nuts, and berries. That's ok, I like all of those.

I was wanting some new ways to prepare veggies so I was looking at vegetarian recipe sites. I found some chatter about something call Paleo Eating. So with the help of my old friend Google, I looked it up. It sounded really close to what I was doing. So I started reading more about and it fine tuning my food choices.

I kept running across the name Mark Sisson and Mark's Daily Apple and Primal Blueprint. So I looked him up. I'm overwhelmed with the amount of information he provides for free. I now understand what I was doing to myself all those years (21 to be precise). It's amazing it wasn't worse.

So it's been 6 weeks now. What have I experienced so far? The stomach problems disappeared in the first couple of days. Not a bad start. Then the aches and pains that I didn't even notice anymore went away. After 2 weeks I started sleeping all night for the first time in years. The bloating and acidy stomach stopped. I eat the most delicious food all the time. I'm never hungry between meals. I have almost no sugar cravings. I have more energy than I know what to do with. And as a bonus I have lost 24 pounds and 3" off my waist without doing anything.

At this point my only problem that I'm running into is that my energy levels exceed my fitness level.

My sister and one of my brothers have begun their own paleo journey now as well. And a coworker has started a modified one.

I'd say so far so good. I'll check in later to let you know how it's going.

Sam

I was taught for many, many years that fat intake was bad. That it needed to be a very small part of your diet. I've never liked that because fat adds a lot of flavor to the food. But I tried to be good and eat "right". However, when I took 90% of the carbs out of my diet I had to replace them with something. And the percentage of my calories that come from fat really went up. To between 35-40% of my calorie intake. (some days much higher I'm sure). It's in the meat, and the olive oil on my salad, the coconut oil I cook in. It's everywhere. Good thing that it's yummy.

Sometimes I have to remind myself that it's a good source of fuel for my body and doesn't cause my insulin to go wacky so it's ok to eat it. I get more flack from the fat I eat than from giving up sugar and wheat. But I explain that it's the body's preferred energy source, that's why we store it so efficiently.

Well, my girlfriend has decided to join the primal lifestyle. At least to try it out. After watching me effortlessly lose weight, regain my health, and have abundant energy. Now she has gotten her sisters to join her in a "biggest loser contest" and they have gone primal to do it. Whatever works to spread the word I guess.

Rig D is online now Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    At this point my only problem that I'm running into is that my energy levels exceed my fitness level.
    Nice problem to have!
    Congrats on success so far, and for having GF climb on board.
    The Buck stops here. I am responsible for my past and my future. So for today: I choose to be happy. I will seek wisdom. I will be a servant to others. I will greet this day with a forgiving spirit.

Well my energy levels got the better of me and I went for an extended walk Saturday. It was only 4 miles but that's considerably farther than from my couch to the fridge. Also, I was carrying a staff that I just made. It's not real heavy, just about 4 lbs. Anyway, my energy was more than sufficient but I was sore everywhere in the morning. LOL I wanted to go do it again. But the weather and some fragment of good sense have put it off till next Saturday.

The scales say that I weigh the same as last week. Which is kind of disappointing. But on the positive side, those same scales say that my body fat percentage went down 2%. So I'll call that a win.

I've got the walking regularly thing down pretty good. Around 4-6 hours a week. I'm sure it will increase because I rather enjoy it. I have started adding in some sprints. They were actually kind of spontaneous. I sometimes have more energy than walking is going to take care of. Get a good grip on this part and then I'll see about throwing in some pushups, squats, planks, and things like that.

I'm eating like a king. People can't believe how good I eat. Their fast food looks pretty pathetic to them when I'm eating, what they call, gourmet meals for lunch. They tell me that I can't possibly be loosing weight eating food that good. I keep telling them what I'm doing. Eat good food, move around a lot, and my body takes care of the rest. And one of the hardest things for them to get their minds around is that I don't spend more money on food, in total, than they do. I just eat better.

I almost feel guilty reading some of the journals on here. I don't seem to have the struggles that others are having. I sympathize with them. But, to me, this is the easiest and most natural thing I have ever done in the "eat right and exercise" area. I do miss pasta and cookies. They are delicious. But I also remember the way they made me feel and I don't miss them enough to go thru that again. Maybe it is my support group of family and friends. Initially they thought I was a crazy but supported my decision. Then some of them started joining me. Seriously, who can complain about getting healthy just by eating good? But even those that don't want to join me in this primal lifestyle are still supportive. I hope that all those that struggle with the change over to keep working at it. It does work. And it feels great.

I have found a new sport that I want to try. Well, it's new to me. Speed golf. I had never heard of it. It looks like a blast. I'm not fast by any means and I might pass out by the third hole, but it looks so fun. I don't guess I have to worry about being good at the running part, I'm not good at golf either. When it warms up, I'm going to try it.

I went bowling with the company I work for over the weekend. I won but my arm is sore. I'm not a finesse player. I feel it is my job to try to break the pins.

I've been getting more walking in. I'm up to 5-8 hours a week. I enjoy it a lot and the weather has been cooperating. I hate the cold. I even got my brother to go hiking with me twice. My energy still exceeds my fitness level but not by as much.

I have gotten another friend to start the primal lifestyle. Yesterday was day one and I heard about it all day long. She really wanted a rice crispy treat. But she remained strong and stuck to primal approved snacks.

I'm really having a great time living the primal lifestyle. I just wish I had found this 20 years ago.

Still making progress on the weight loss side of things. I'm down 31 pounds now. Which has been amazing. No one could have convinced me that losing weight could be this easy. I don't blame the people that are skeptical of my progress and how I achieved it. I would be too. It's just too easy. But it's hard to argue with success.

Ok, went to the doctor finally. Remember I started this primal journey because I was throwing up blood and such bad intestinal problems that I couldn't sleep at night. Anyway, he checked me over and we talked quite a while about my general health. He liked that changing what I ate fixed the intestinal and stomach issues. He drew some blood for tests just to be thorough. The results came back with impressive numbers. It turns out that I am in excellent health. I know people younger than me that would love to have the numbers I got for cholesterol, lipids, glucose, and a score of other things. Combine that with a low blood pressure and I'm pretty happy about the whole thing.

As a bonus, it turns out that my new doctor is paleo and agrees that it is probably the healthiest way to eat there is. So I don't have that argument to worry about.

Rig D is online now Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK -- now if you find a pot of gold on your next hike, I think you will have hit all the positives. Congrats.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast