Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: coconut oil page

bobkat is offline Member

coconut oil

Primal Fuel
    First things first - I don't like the taste (maybe it's the smell) of coconut. But I take it like medicine because I believe - from reading here - that it's really good for me. I also cook with it and don't find that offensive at all.

So how do I tell if I'm getting a good quality oil? I've had the 365 brand from Whole Foods and now I have Emerald Labs (made by Ultra Laboratories) that I got from GNC. This one doesn't smell as strong but says on the container "all natural, made from 100% pure, fresh coconut meat, no added fragrances, flavoring or coloring. Has not been refined, bleached or deodorized."

They are both Extra Virgin, Certified Organic.

If I'm going to shell out the money for something I don't enjoy then hold my nose and swallow it, I'd like to know that I'm not using an inferior product.

I'm really new at this and appreciate any help, opinions or recommendations.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    They're all good. If it's organic there is no way it's going to bad. I think that there are some uber-expensive ones that are bred for higher lauric acid content, but all in all I don't see it being of importance. All and all you're getting a good hefty dose of the fatty acids you want. Some of them do taste better, though, but it says nothing about the nutrition.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I can't do too much coco oil I really don't like whatever I'm cooking to taste like coconut, kinda ruins it. I sautee a lot with coconut milk though but I find if I use too much coco oil I end up ruining shit taste-wise. I also kind of hate olive oil, any other oil I can use that will taste closer to veg oil? Thank god for bacon grease.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    Walnut oil is really good also.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Classic View Post
    Walnut oil is really good also.
    Does it taste like walnuts? nutritionally is it on par with coconut oil? good fats? MORE INFO MANNNN!!!

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    bobkat, have you considered taking coconut oil in capsule form? There is no taste, and next to no smell. Here is the brand that I use:

Now Foods, Virgin Organic Coconut Oil capsules, 1 g each
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Virgi...gels/8220?at=0

These caps are relatively small, and easy to swallow.

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I love the taste of coconut oil. I can eat it by the spoonful. I can see why some people don't like it though. It has a distinct flavor. I buy the Spectrum brand, unrefined organic oil. It tastes great, but costs about $10 per jar! That's the only issue is the price, but I still buy it. I hope to find something cheaper.

bobkat is offline Member
    Stabby - thanks for confirming my choice. I love reading your posts, BTW.

IniQuity - +1 on the bacon grease. I just made "chicken nuggets" in the broiler, no breading, just bacon grease and seasonings. yum. Walnut oil is really light, very little flavor. I used to use it to dress salads before coming here. I don't think anything matches coconut oil nutrition-wise. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Kate - yes, I have taken the capsules and don't mind them at all, but to get the amount I'm looking for would be prohibitively (is that a word?) expensive.

John - all the stuff I see that I trust to be decent quality is $10-$13 for a 16 oz jar. Good luck on finding something more reasonable. I can probably get it cheaper on line, but then there's the shipping. Oh well.

Classic is offline Senior Member
    I agree that walnut oil does not have the same nutritive benefits as coconut oil but it sure tastes great in salads and is great to make Mayo out of.

Suse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    I can't do too much coco oil I really don't like whatever I'm cooking to taste like coconut, kinda ruins it. I sautee a lot with coconut milk though but I find if I use too much coco oil I end up ruining shit taste-wise. I also kind of hate olive oil, any other oil I can use that will taste closer to veg oil? Thank god for bacon grease.
    I've got some macadamia oil, tastes like oil if you ask me!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast