Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Controlling My Not- So- Super Power- Naiadknight's Gritty Reboot page

naiadknight is online now Senior Member

Controlling My Not- So- Super Power- Naiadknight's Gritty Reboot

I've been at this primal/ paleo/ perfect health diet/ grain free thing for years, far longer than many still active on the forum. I think I finally have an answer and it involves a crappy super power (from a genetic mutation) and a gritty reboot not even Marvel or DC would touch.
    The basics for those just joining us:
    -one month shy of 30 years old.
    -teaching high school physics
    -female with generic hypothyroidism (not Hashimoto's), and respiratory allergies
    The genetic mutation:
    - a body that does not process omega 6 fatty acids at a modern rate, leading to a tendency for inflammation at a MUCH lower daily dose
    The crappy super-power:
    -being a human omega balance barometer
    The super villain-esque weakness:
    -omega 6 sensitivity that can result in migraines, nausea and some NASTY systemic inflammation
    The gritty reboot:
    -rolling back to Loren Cordain paleo with an emphasis on omega 6: 3 balance (gotta keep it under 4:1) with the occasional lactose free dairy (aged cheese, cream, butter)
    Unlike most superheroes, I can use all the help and encouragement I can get. I honestly am beginning to think saving Gotham City every night would be easier than being Omega Girl on a budget.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Yay! a new naiadknight journal. I am so happy. I admire the way you so easily start a new journal with an awesome recap. It is encouraging to me. I need to stop holding on to my journal with such a death grip.

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    You forgot to mention an important power - persistence! You figured this out for yourself!

I wonder if you can take omega 3 supps to help balance the ratio or is it a total amount of omega 6 that messes you up?

Paula- Thanks for the encouragement! I will admit, there is something cathartic about starting fresh. As to your journal, I look forward to seeing your new one.
    Mud flinger- thanks for the compliment on my persistence! I see as sheer stubbornness, but those are two side of the same coin. omega 3 supps do work, to an extent. They can balance it out if I edge over the ratio and amount (4:1 or 6% of total calories, which ever comes first). I don't care for swallowing oil plain, and I don't trust capsules, so I try to keep that as an emergency back up. There's also sheer amount needed: 1 tsp is approximately 1 gram. Just based on numbers, it's easier and more efficient to keep it in check to begin with and use the fish oil to correct any "oops" moments.
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Breakfast: 2 mugs bulletproof tea (tea + 1 tbsp coconut oil)
    Lunch: 1/4 acorn squash, 1/4 lb gyro meat, spinach, tomatoes, 1 apple
    Exercise: 4764 steps so far. Aiming to 10,000 before I get home. I'm hoping to get a run in tonight, but it's FRIGID out there (windchill in the teens.)
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dinner was spag squash and spag sauce.
    Never made it to 10,000 steps because I didn't go for a run. (Got to 7309 steps.) Sleep ended up overruling running because I only slept 4.5 hrs last night. Took a 2 hr nap.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Total o6 yesterday: 5.5 g.
    Percent total calories: 3.4% as o6.
    Ratio o3: o6 - 1: 2.3
    Yesterday was a good day, even with not enough sleep. Thankfully, today's Friday.
    Through further research, I discovered that my ADD/ ADHD might be impacted by omega 6. Currently, randomized trials have only shown it in children with other learning disabilities or neuro disorders, but there is a longer scale one that is showing great promise. There is also a current theory noting that the longer the trial, seemingly, the more children are affected by the omega 3 intake. Because all they did was add omega 3 and/ or 6 and not change the current food, it means they only changed the ratio. This is heartening. Looking at the time scale used, I'm thinking I may go in for a doc visit after work today or Monday for a baseline. For the next 3-6 months (basically, until my next bloodwork appt), I'll continue with my APOA5 regimen and see what changes in that amount of time. (Getting through the day without lunch or breakfast (not even bulletproof coffee) will be interesting, but I'll make it work.)
    Last edited by naiadknight; 01-09-2015 at 07:01 AM.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Doc's office wanted to schedule it for Monday at 1700. That's going to be a pretty long IF, but I think I can do it.
    I finally found a way to control my 5th period. I hate maintaining classroom control by fear, but it seems the only way I can do it with that period for some reason. (Well, I know the reason: they're a bunch of redneck jackasses.) I have discovered that calling parents strikes the fear of god into 3/4 of them and calling coaches scares the other quarter into submission. Now that I've made a round of phone calls, all it takes is the Post- It of Doom and a pen. They know if their name goes on that list, their parents, coaches, CTE teachers, what have you are all being called and all that shit will roll downhill. I have to try not to laugh every time it happens: I pull the post-it's out of my back pocket- instant silence. I have a feeling if an AP were to walk in and see that, they'd be so confused: the Skinner method for high schoolers.
    My anime club and the gaming and logic club (kind of our sister club) are doing a Super Pi Day fundraiser. This year is Super Pi Day- 3/14/15 9:26:53. We're selling shirts with the school mascot written in pi on the front and [school name] Super Pi Day on the back, in school colors.
    The school is also doing a lip-dub. For anime club, we'll be in cosplay, holding a banner. I'll post the link as soon as I have it.
    My Primal Battle Tome

I can't call yesterday a complete win, because I ate leftover pizza for dinner. I won't call it a complete loss either, because my ratio was 2:1. I'll just say it was a good start.
    Off to go run in a bit. I know the caution against chronic cardio, but I figure running 2-3 miles every other day can't be considered chronic if it keeps my asthma at bay.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Walked/ ran for half an hour (trying to increase my speed to something more than an old man shuffle) and walked for another half hour more. Total steps as of right now: 11,177.
    My weight dropped to 119.5, even after eating pizza (but correcting the balance with sardine oil.) This still fits my theory that it never was about the grains, but what was in the grains. I honestly think the reason prileo worked so well for me was it cut out the offending vegetable oil that rode along with the grains.
    As of right now, I'm not horribly concerned about weight. I figure reducing o6 inflammation will cause my body to correct any weight issues stemming from years of vegetable oil abuse.
    My Primal Battle Tome

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast