Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Goal - Weigh 125 by March 2015 page

KimLean125byMar15 is offline Senior Member

Smile Goal - Weigh 125 by March 2015

Shop Now
    I started my road to fitness on Christmas week. For the last 2 weeks, I've exercised 5X a week by swimming, spinning, bodypump, insanity, yoga, weights and some at home workouts while I watch TV. Workouts are 1-3 hours/day. I've taken measurements and not much has changed, as such, I'm afraid to step on the scale to avoid the inevitable disappointment.

My starting weight was 150 lbs and I want to lose 25 lbs in the next 2 months. I have plenty of time to exercise before going back to work in a few months.

I have been 140-150 lbs for the last 6 years or so without any exercise and eating mostly low carb foods. My weaknesses are Bluebell Moolineum Crunch Icecream, Cadbury's dairy milk chocolate, coffee, tea biscuits and hot tea with milk and sugar. I intend to continue with the icecream(700cal), biscuits(1000cal) and chocolate(500) as a once a week indulgence, or a 2500 cal/wk budget for whatever I want that's not primal. For the tea/coffee, I NEED to have on a daily basis and for my sanity, will factor into my diet permanently with a limit of 500 calories max from the sugar. (*edit-actual usage turned out to be 'only' 300 cal or less*)

My staple diet at this time is polenta (with a little butter), spinach/kale(12oz/day) and chicken thighs with skin and fat removed or chicken breast, 2-3 eggs, liver, 2-3 grapefruits, whey protein isolate smoothie with strawberries(in IL water) and cashew nuts. Total is about 1600 calories/day. Some combination of the above foods but not all everyday.

I struggle with depression and this was the reason I took a career break several months ago. Travelling helps but I always relapse when I come back home. It's been a 5 year struggle that I think I'm finally coming to terms with. I refused medication because I believe I needed to figure out what caused me to get depressed and I didn't believe a pill would fix it, plus I'm wary of the side effects. It wasn't clear at the beginning why it happened but I've made some headway in my DIY psychotherapy.

I've always wanted to have a lean, fit body with well defined muscles. This is on my bucket list and this year I intend to finally achieve this goal. Wish me luck and best wishes to all.
    Last edited by KimLean125byMar15; 01-26-2015 at 09:24 PM.

Norajane718 is offline Member
    Hi Kim! Welcome and I do wish you luck!

Sounds like you're off to a great start. That's a lot of exercise. Are you enjoying it? Hopefully it will help with your depression.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Hi Nora,
    It is a lot of exercise, especially considering I was a bit of a couch potato. I've never exercised this much and I'm surprised I'm actually enjoying it. I've always hated it. What's helping is the variety. If my muscles are sore from strength training, I 'rest' by doing an hour at the pool. It's working so far, but it's still early days.

Today, for both lunch and dinner, I had my usual spinach and chicken with polenta. I make it using white corn flour and add a tbsp of butter and into a stiffer constistency than most people are accustomed to. Many would consider it bland but it goes really well with spinach/kale and meat/fish. I know it's not primal but it's the only way I manage to eat a LOT of spinach. I've tried eliminating it and just blending the spinach into a soup but I end up consuming only 1/3 the amount of spinach. So, at a cost of 400-600 calories of polenta carbs. Is it worth it?

After 3 hours of exercise yesterday(gym-bodypump & insanity then at home-Jillian Michaels Youtube video) I was pretty sore today but managed to check out the 30min 'grit-cardio' class at the gym(not that great, barely broke a sweat) and also did 90min elliptical -hill climbs (80-85% max HR) I'm not sure if this qualifies as over-training or 'chronic cardio'(probably) but I'm listening to my body and sensitive to signs of injury. Also, I read that a sign of over-training is a higher resting heart rate. Mine is usually 60-65. We shall see. More importantly, I'm trying to shift some stubborn fat and perhaps giving myself a huge kick in the butt is what's required.
    Last edited by KimLean125byMar15; 01-07-2015 at 07:34 PM.

Norajane718 is offline Member
    I also really enjoy exercising. It is a real challenge for me to listen to my body and not exercise when I shouldn't. I always tell myself that I'm going to take a day off and rest, but man that's hard to do. Today was supposed to be a total rest day for me (mainly from some chronic pain and from overdoing some things lately), but I ended up doing a few different leg exercises and put some music on and danced in the living room for awhile. At least it was mild exercise. Maybe I'll rest tomorrow

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    Kim welcome. It's great that you are enjoying the variety of exercise. It seems to me that some more variety in your food might make it more appealing also. I don't know that it's really necessary to "get down" 12oz of spinach daily. You could eat other veges such as cucumber, courgette, broccoli, cauliflower, mushrooms...

As for the polenta, my opinion is why waste so many calories on such a bland food? If I were going to eat that many carbs I'd rather get them from banana, or kumara (sweet potato) or chocolate! Chicken also is quite bland, I would branch out into beef and lamb as well. Yay for the eggs, not so much the processed protein. And 2-3 grapefruits is a lot, unless you really LOVE them (or have a surplus, which I do understand, believe me) why not eat apple, orange, pear, peach... or different veges such as carrot and pumpkin.

I guess what I'm trying to say is don't make this harder on your willpower than it needs to be. Primal eating is tasty and delicious. Remarkably, that's what also helps us reach our weight loss and fitness goals because it is also incredibly nutritious, when you make sure to include the widest possible variety of the most nutrient-dense foods.

Best wishes.

MuchLove is offline Senior Member
    I would recommend beef and lamb over chicken, and don't remove the fat. Polenta is rather empty of calories (and I wouldn't eat a lot of corn in this form anyway - nixtamalised corn would be much better) and would be better replaced by roots and tubers and corms.

Also 500 calories from sugar in tea is over 100g sugar - that's a heck of a lot refined sugar to be eating everyday. I strongly advise that you cut down on this. How about switching to a teaspoon of honey per cup? Still could add up to a lot of sugar depending on how many cups you drink but there is at least evidence that honey has beneficial effects.

Also 1-3 hours of exercise a day is, in my opinion, far too much unless a good amount of that is gentle walking or yoga. Too much exercise will likely make you hungrier and more stressed and it will be harder for you to stick with a diet that will help you lose weight. Why not switch to 30-60 minutes strength training 3 times a week, 1-2 short HIIT sessions and leave the rest of your free time when you want to be moving for walking? This would still be plenty of exercise.

ETA: also there's no need to force down such quantities of spinach everyday. In fact given the oxalate content I wouldn't eat it everyday at all. A couple of times a week, and eat other vegetables on other days.
    Last edited by MuchLove; 01-08-2015 at 01:57 AM.

Thanks for the brilliant thoughts and suggestions guys.

Right now, I'm trying to not introduce too many changes all at once. The biggest change is the exercise volume and I really need to not fail at this. I have struggled for years to push myself to exercise. Now for 2 weeks, I'm finding ways to motivate myself even when I'm not in the mood or when I don't see any visible changes yet. This is huge for me. I know it's unsustainable in the long run but once I reach my goal, I won't need to do as much. For now, I'm pretending that I was hiking in the mountains and got lost and it will take me a month or two to be rescued(25 lbs later) Meanwhile, I've spent several hours a day walking about, climbing hills, building a shelter etc. It happens to people all the time..as long as they're not injured, have access to water, some food and body fat.

The current meals are very easy to prepare and I actually enjoy all of them. The only other veggies I care for are broccoli and cauliflower but for now I'm in a spinach/kale phase. It's the most nutrient dense veg I know of. For meats, I'm terrible at cooking beef so I gave up. i like liver, another nutrient dense option, easy to prep and I never fail at prepping it. I need to keep this food part as simple as possible in the short term.

You guys are absolutely right about the sugar. It's too much, it's total bollocks and so not primal I know. But, a cup of hot tea with milk and sugar and sometimes some ginger or other spices, is food for my soul. It's a traditional drink that I grew up drinking since I was a toddler. The blend should be 'English breakfast' or an East African blend. Honey and other sweeteners are not options. It's not the same. My rationale is that I could eat 500 calories of some other primal food but won't enjoy it as much. If I'm not flexible, I WILL fail. If I can squeeze those carb calories into my 1600 calorie budget, get my 100g protein, adequate fat and maximize my nutrient intake, then I'll be able to cope with the plan and STICK with it and hopefully succeed.

Hopefully as I begin to see some weight loss, I might not need as much bribery. We shall see.

Mr. Anthony is online now Senior Member
    I really don't want to be a Debbie Downer here, but I'm a bit concerned that you're setting yourself up for some disappointment.

The amount of weight you want to lose in a short amount of time is a bit ambitious for someone who isn't huge to begin with. On top of that, tying this all to just an arbitrary weight number may not be the healthiest approach. Suppose you look, feel, and perform better at 130, with some muscle, than you do at a lower weight--are you going to be mad that you're not 125?

The idea that you're bound and determined to eat certain "cheats" or sugar or whatever else, no matter what, may also turn out to be quite contrary to your goals and to being able to mentally stay in the game.

And the amount of exercise you're doing may well not be sustainable, and may even end up harming your goals. At some point your body might well begin "fighting back."

Why not just follow the basic Primal Blueprint plan, and see where it takes you over time? Eat good food, avoid bad stuff, lift heavy a few times per week, do some sprints occasionally, and walk around--wouldn't that template be more likely to lead to long-term success, instead of having to sprint to 125 in the next couple of months at any cost?

I hope this doesn't come across as being negative; I really want you to succeed--I've just seen so many people come out of the gate like this and then disappear and throw all results to the wind if things don't go exactly as they envision. Thinking about this as a healthy lifestyle, forever, is probably more beneficial.

MuchLove is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    ^^^^^
    Agreed

I really hope this comes across as me trying to be helpful, not critical. That much exercise is not necessary for weight loss and in fact it may be detrimental as it is incredibly stressful for your body.

The key to fat loss (which is what I'm guessing you want - not muscle loss which would make you look less lean) is diet first. Then ideally for best effect you need strength training to build and maintain muscle. Excessive cardio will not help this at all. Sleep and relaxation are also enormously important - working out hard every day is not good for you. If health is not a big motivation for you, then you should also know that stressing yourself out like that is likely to cause hormonal problems which will shift your body fat storage pattern to your stomach.

Finally I would abandon a goal weight completely. If you build muscle you may well end up heavier than you want to be but look leaner.

Page 1 of 25 12311 ... LastLast