Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: Protein powder in coffee? page

  1. #1
    steven.kelly's Avatar
    steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    496

    Protein powder in coffee?

    Shop Now
    Can you mix whey protein concentrate into coffee or hot bevvys?

    Sent from my GT-I9506 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  2. #2
    edennperez1's Avatar
    edennperez1 is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    Posts
    1,425
    I cool down my coffee and add my whey isolate. No problems for me. Not sure if that helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

  3. #3
    steven.kelly's Avatar
    steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by edennperez1 View Post
    I cool down my coffee and add my whey isolate. No problems for me. Not sure if that helps.


    Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Yeah I could do that, I have natural so want to try something without having to blend or make a smoothy.

    Sent from my GT-I9506 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  4. #4
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,998
    I dissolve 1 scoop of whey in cold water then add hot coffee. For the size of my mug 1 scoop is all I can add. If you put milk in your coffee you can dissolve the whey in that instead of water, that's how I make cocoa for my son.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

  5. #5
    steven.kelly's Avatar
    steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I dissolve 1 scoop of whey in cold water then add hot coffee. For the size of my mug 1 scoop is all I can add. If you put milk in your coffee you can dissolve the whey in that instead of water, that's how I make cocoa for my son.
    That sounds like a good idea, I'm just wondering if it can stand hot temperatures?

    Sent from my GT-I9506 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  6. #6
    Urban Forager's Avatar
    Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    3,998
    Are you concerned that the nutritional profile will be affected by heat? From what I read the temperature of a drinkable hot beverage won't change it, though boiling it might.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

  7. #7
    steven.kelly's Avatar
    steven.kelly is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Posts
    496
    Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    Are you concerned that the nutritional profile will be affected by heat? From what I read the temperature of a drinkable hot beverage won't change it, though boiling it might.
    Yeah or if it will make it go off or something

    Sent from my GT-I9506 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

  8. #8
    Misabi's Avatar
    Misabi is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    New Zealand
    Posts
    3,076
    Nah, it's fine.
    You could also pour your coffee into a blender then throw the whey into it and blitz it for a few seconds.
    Doesn't get all clumpy and comes out nice and frothy.
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/

  9. #9
    John Caton's Avatar
    John Caton is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2014
    Location
    Euless, TX
    Posts
    930
    Quote Originally Posted by steven.kelly View Post
    That sounds like a good idea, I'm just wondering if it can stand hot temperatures?

    Sent from my GT-I9506 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app
    Whey denatures at 161F (72C) well below boiling. Hot coffee typically ranges from 160F - 185F. I believe you will render your whey fairly worthless by adding to hot coffee.
    Stop by to visit at primalways.net
    Old Paths ... New Journeys

  10. #10
    FrenchFry's Avatar
    FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    world
    Posts
    1,923
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by John Caton View Post
    you will render your whey fairly worthless by adding to hot coffee.
    When you say "denature" what do you mean ? broken down by heat into peptides ? it would make it even more digestible. Remember that what enters your bloodstream (hopefully!) is amino acids, after complete breaking of the protein complex.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •