Primal & Pastoral
Instead of tracking everything on my own spreadsheet, I figured I'd go ahead and start a journal for accountability and community. Huzzah!
SW: 222 (on 12/6/14)
Your location: Maryland
Age (If you want): early 30s
Do you consume dairy: Not much. Planning to eliminate dairy for the 21 day challenge and gradually add it back in. Mostly I love goat cheese and kefir
Do you drink coffee or tea? Both. Mostly tea.
Motivator for switching to Primal: It was just time. Lots of things converged to make it the right time.
Favorite exercise: Hiking. Yoga.
Favorite Primal food: Sushi. Bacon. Deviled eggs. Guacamole.
Best part about being Primal: Immediately had more energy. Less digestive issues. Less anxiety.
Worst part about being Primal: Impatient to look how I feel. Avoiding rice in my sushi. Social challenges of avoiding good wine and craft beer.
Everyday, I plan to list the 9 components of the PB and talk about how I did on each one.
1) Eat real food:
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes:
3) Carbs under 100g?
8) Sun exposure:
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-05-2015 at 06:26 AM.
How did I do today?
1) Eat real food. Check. Bacon is real food, right? Brunch - 5 pieces bacon. 2 eggs scrambled with leeks in combo bacon fat & grassfed butter. Coffee with grassfed half & half. Dinner was a few bacon/jalapeño deviled eggs. Sparkling water and red wine. 1 square dark chocolate.
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes. Check. Oh wait - except for the square of dark chocolate.
3) Align your carb/moderation food intake with your weight goals and activity levels. C -. I had a few glasses of red wine with my friends for the Ravens game. I had a small square of dark chocolate.
4) Move frequently at a slow pace: Get between 2-5 hours per week of moderate aerobic exercise. Nope. It was a completely sedentary day.
5) Lift heavy things: Conduct 1-3 brief, intense sessions of full-body functional movements. Nope
6) Sprint: Go “all out” once a week. Nope
7) Get 8 hours of sleep every night. Check. And them some. Think I unintentionally did IF because DH and I slept until noon.
8) Get 15 minutes of direct sun exposure each day. Nope. Stayed inside all day because it was rainy.
9) Play! Find time to let go, disconnect, unwind and have fun.Success! Evening social time with friends watching football.
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-04-2015 at 04:57 AM.
1) Eat real food: Started day with ginger tea and about 1/4 cup plain goat kefir. Met friends for brunch. Had coffee and scrambled eggs and bacon with hot sauce. Took one bite of bread and left the rest on the plate. In retrospect, I should have asked them to sub veggies or at least potatoes to avoid temptation. Lunch/Dinner was green tea, fatty tuna and salmon sashimi, as well as a naroto roll with salmon/avocado wrapped in cucumber. No rice. Had pickled ginger and low sodium soy sauce. Then met friends at the bar and had 1 Belgian beer.
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes: was doing great until the beer. The place literally sold no wine.
3) Carbs under 100g? Yes. It's listed as 14g carbs on myfitnesspal for a 12 oz beer. And I definitely had a smaller pour.
4) Move: Nope. Rainy day.
5) Lift: Nope.
6) Sprint: Nope
7) Sleep: 7 hours.
8) Sun exposure: Nope. Rainy.
9) Play! Definitely! Saw three different groups of friends.
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-04-2015 at 04:52 PM.
CW: 213. (Down 9 lbs in about a month! Over the holidays! Woot!)
1) Eat real food: 1/2c plain goat kefir. A few blackberries. 1 mug english breakfast tea. After lifting, had tuna sashimi with a few bites daikon, and salmon/avocado with rice. Also tea and water. Dinner - from Abel James' fat burning man app recipe - cinnamon-sage chicken drumsticks over sweet potato "noodles". Sparkling water.
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes: had sushi rice with 1 maki roll for lunch. Pure starch. Not a big deal.
3) Carbs under 100g? Myfitnesspal says carbs were 71g. Protein was 93g, a little high, but OK considering today's lifting.
4) Move: Nope. Not beyond the lifting circuit training.
5) Lift: Did a 1 hour body pump class at my gym. Free weights - keeping weights heavy enough to have reps go to failure between 8 and 12. It totally kicked my ass.
6) Sprint: Nope.
7) Sleep: Check. Bed at 11pm. Woke up at 7am.
8) Sun exposure: Sunny day! Got a bit of sunshine around 1pm
9) Play! movie with DH
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-05-2015 at 06:49 PM.
Soooooo sore. Triceps are incredibly painful and actually look swollen. Other muscle groups -pecs and quads, are tolerably sore.
1) Eat real food: Coffee with grassfed 1/2 and 1/2. Plain goat kefir. 3 pieces bacon. 3 eggs scrambled with leeks in bacon fat & grassfed butter. Lunch - small whole milk Fage greek yogurt with slivered almonds, flakes of coconut and a drizzle of honey. Dinner - salad greens with balsamic and EVOO and 3 seared scallops on top.
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes: had small drizzle honey
3) Carbs under 100g? According to MFP, macro breakdown was 26g carbs, 65g protein and 64g fat. I was also chastised for not eating enough by MFP, but I feel totally satiated.
4) Move: nope
5) Lift: nope
6) Sprint: nope
7) Sleep: disrupted. Woke up several times in the night. Eventually took some advil and soaked in the bath with some Epson salts to manage the tricep pain
8) Sun exposure: none, snow day. Took 1000 ul D3 supplements as well as omega 3D (another 1000)
9) Play! sedentary pleasure of reading. Ordered The Primal Connection. Want to read Abel James' The Wild Diet too, but it doesn't come out until April.
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-06-2015 at 06:47 PM.
In a really good mood today.
Full fat, grassfed dairy doesn't seem to be bothering me. Going to keep it in for now and eliminate it if WL stalls or some digestive issues appear.
Started taking a probiotic.
Reading through other people's success stories is so inspiring. Also, got some major feels bubbling up during this process. Do I deserve to have an awesome life?
1) Eat real food: 8am 3 cups coffee with half & half. 3 eggs scrambled in grassfed butter with 1/2 red onion. 12:30 - guacamole (2 avocados) on a spoon. Sparkling water. Tea. Dinner: 5 baked scallops in tomato sauce/coconut milk.
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes: check
3) Carbs under 100g? 79g carbs/60g protein/95g fat
4) Move: nope
5) Lift: nope, still insanely sore triceps
6) Sprint: nope
7) Sleep: Alarm woke me up at 6am. 7 hrs sleep.
8) Sun exposure: It was snowy. Parked my car in the sun and sat for 20min or so midday
9) Play! movie with DH
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-08-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Feeling distracted and unproductive mid-day. Digestive issues.
1) Eat real food: small container whole fat Fage greek yogurt with handful raspberries, slivered almonds and big coconut flakes. White pomegranate tea. Ginger tea. Lunch - .5lb guacamole. Sparkling water. Ginger tea. Tuna, salmon, yellowtail sashimi. Salmon/avocado roll with rice, spicy crunchy tuna roll with rice. Dinner: Monocacy ash goat cheese and wine
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes: Had rice and small amount of grain in the tempura crunches in the sushi. Had red wine with dinner.
3) Carbs under 100g? 116g carb/119g fat/126g protein
4) Move: nope
7) Sleep: 8 hrs
8) Sun exposure: a bit
9) Play! relaxing evening with the hubs, doing a puzzle
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-09-2015 at 05:50 AM.
Feel energetic today. Thinking about checking out acupuncture to help with overall balance.
1) Eat real food: 11am - cup of ginger tea. Small container Fage whole greek yogurt with a few raspberries, coconut flakes and blanched slivered almonds. 5pm - salmon sashimi, spicy crunchy roll (with rice) 8:30pm - wine, turnip gnocchi with sautéd arugula, creamy oyster soup, seared foie gras, spicy cumin lamb. Chocolate orange tart.
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes: very small slice of friends chocolate tart. Lots of wine. Passed on the bread that went with the oyster soup
3) Carbs under 100g? probably not
4) Move: 9:30am 1hr body pump class
5) Lift: 1hr body pump class - lots of squats. Used 20lb dumbbells on chest press
7) Sleep: woke up stuffy.
8) Sun exposure: ran errand in middle of day
9) Play! dinner party at friend's house
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-10-2015 at 10:29 AM.
Therapy session - went into emotional reasons that I've neglected my health.
1) Eat real food: 9am - 2 eggs over easy, 1/2 glass fruit smoothie (coconut milk and tropical fruits. 1 mug coffee. 6pm - kale chips, rotisserie Peruvian chicken with spicy sauce. A few fried yucca. Wine. Dark chocolate with almonds.
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes:ok - not perfect with the fried yucca and small piece of dark chocolate.
3) Carbs under 100g? unknown
4) Move: mid day walk
5) Lift: nope
7) Sleep:disrupted sleep - too much wine/not in my own bed
8) Sun exposure: walk at midday
9) Play! decadent 2hr massage. Breakfast with friends. Watched games with friends.
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-12-2015 at 04:39 AM.
1/11 - Sunday
1) Eat real food: 2pm- Cheese calzone topped with green Mediterranean salad. 8pm - maple bacon Manhattan
2) Avoid sugar, grains, unhealthy fats, beans/legumes: Had a calzone along with the green salad. Tough when going to a friend's party and everyone else is having pizza. Full all day. Drink at night.
3) Carbs under 100g? probably not.
4) Move: long walk with DH and friend
5) Lift: nope - legs were very sore from Friday's squats
6) Sprint: nope
7) Sleep: 8hrs, but disrupted.
8) Sun exposure: not really
9) Play!long walk with friend, watching game with friends, fire and movie with DH. Long soaking bath with Epson salts.
Last edited by pastoraldreams; 01-12-2015 at 04:54 AM.
Tags for this Thread