Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to shut up the sugar monster page

Gumdrop is offline Member

How to shut up the sugar monster

Primal Fuel
    Hello all,

I am having some serious sugar cravings / withdrawals. I am very new to BP and am on day 5 of going paleo. I only eat meat, veg (not the starchy type, ie not potatoes, etc) and fruit. I have a shocking sweet tooth and my only vice (which I am desperate to give up) is diet cola. I think the cravings are probably more a withdrawal from no sugar. I am sticking to my guns and not budging but the cravings are shocking.

Does any one have some advise for this newbie please.

Look forward to reading your gems of knowledge.

Thank you

xxxx

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Eventually it subsides. If you can muck through the moments and not give in, they'll eventually go away.

When I was having a craving I'd eat something salty/spicy... pickled eggs sometimes did it, or fried eggs, with mustard or hot sauce. Seems like I always turned to eggs- lol. After having a couple eggs I wasn't very willing to eat more. That was just my strategy for dealing with it. Sometimes the cravings won, but the longer you go, the easier it gets.

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    ^^ yep, what she said.

If you are still having the diet soda, give that up ASAP...it can lead to increased sugar cravings. Even though there's no sugar in the drink, your body thinks there is. Some folks will even release insulin in response to diet soda.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

soror is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kennelmom View Post
    ^^ yep, what she said.

If you are still having the diet soda, give that up ASAP...it can lead to increased sugar cravings. Even though there's no sugar in the drink, your body thinks there is. Some folks will even release insulin in response to diet soda.
    Totally agree!

DarthFriendly is offline Banned
    Eat steak, and bacon.

At the same time.

Acmebike is offline Member
    Beat the sugar monster to death, just club him, with bacon! Keep crispy bacon on hand, cooked and ready to roll. Eat it ANY time you crave sweets. And if you must, source some good local bacon that is pure Paleo as possible. But even the most factory built bacon, is better for you than any sweets!

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    I have found that sugar cravings hit hardest when I'm tired or bored. I've done quite a bit to make sure that I do not have tempting treats around, since if you don't have it you can't eat it. Most cravings will subside if you are patient enough to wait them out.

So if I feel the need for a sweet snack and I just ignore it for 15 or 20 minutes, it will subside.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Asturian is offline Senior Member
    Taking 2000 to 4000 mg of L-Glutamine in the morning (and afternoon if you have severe cravings) can help curb carb cravings.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Don't feed it! It will die.

In the meantime, satiate yourself on yummy fats whenever you're tempted.

And distract yourself with exercise, intense concentration on something interesting, whatever.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I second what everyone is saying: the cravings do go away. And if you do cave in and feed the urge (even just an itsy bit), the cravings will stay around longer. My sugar cravings were strongest early on and have steadily diminished. I'm even at the point where I don't eat dark chocolate as a treat any more- early on I would have an ounce or less of choccy but now I don't need it.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast