Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Running, Lifting & Living to be 100 - jenn26point2 page

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member

Running, Lifting & Living to be 100 - jenn26point2

Shop Now
    I want to live to be 100. To me, that is the ultimate be all to end all challenges. Very few people have done it, but it is incredibly possible to achieve with a bit of luck and a lot of health.

I was thinking about this the other day and wondered what made it possible for someone to live so long. And one thing stood out to me the most. Lifestyle. People who live to be 100 have had a vastly different lifestyle than what we're used to today. They grew up working hard on the family farm - sunrise to sunset they moved their bodies. They ate food they grew (or could buy locally). They ate at home. They didn't go out to dinner 3x a week. They didn't go out to the bars and drink themselves into oblivion on the weekends. No. They stayed home, tended their animals, their crops and their children, worked hard to provide for their families. Life was way different in 1915 than it is now. I can't duplicate that life - for starters, I have a desk job. Not much movement there. But I can do my best to make up for that with quality gym sessions and moving more when I'm not chained to my desk. I can run to strengthen my heart and lift to strengthen my bones and muscles. I can also eat right. I can eat plants and animals that are close to the earth - grow as much as possible in my own yard and stick with what we know to be healthier cuts of meat, and take vitamins to fill in the gaps.

I know I can't guarantee a life lived to see 100, but I can certainly try my best to reach it. I have a past that is unfavorable to living to 100. 10+ years of smoking, 10+ years lived in an obese/very overweight state, and a family history of type II diabetes, but I can do my best to make up for it now.

So, that's my goal - achieve a body healthy enough and fit enough to survive 100 years.
    Last edited by jenn26point2; 01-02-2015 at 01:19 PM.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

So, that was my goal post... this is my whiny "where I'm at now" post.

Currently, as of this morning, I weigh 219.8 lbs. The other day I was at 220.something. This is so very close to my pre-primal weight from 3 years ago that it's not even funny. For those new to my world, I started Primal in March 2012.

Ailments I need to eliminate:
    achey, stiff feet and ankles
    low back pain
    headaches
    bloating
    fatigue/constant sleepiness
    poor sleep quality
    poor digestive health
    laziness
    depression
    anxiety
    ADD
    PMS/cramping/late periods
    tendonitis/soreness in my elbows
    constant need to clear my throat
    ears that crackle when I swallow/hear loud sounds
    obesity

I'm so tired of being bloated and tired. That's my biggest gripe. Feeling so incredibly fat and tired all the time. I feel and look 8 months pregnant. It's an incredibly annoying feeling.

So what do I plan to do about it? I plan to kick off 2015 with a Whole30. I start Monday. This weekend will be used to prep for the first week and to rid the house of the junk that will tempt me (i.e. I'm going to eat it all). I am quite excited about venturing back into the paleo world. I've been off entirely too long and it really shows.

Customarily, I'd eat bacon and boiled eggs for breakfast everyday, but I've switched jobs and am not working in a cubie farm... not sure bacon will be wise. Maybe it'll be ok? I suspect I'll get trampled between my break room and my desk when they smell it. mmmmm.... bacon.

For the rest of the day, I plan. My thoughts on fitness focus around strengthening right now. I want to be able to run again, but I think I need to focus on restrengthening what was once strong. So I think a few weeks of progressive lifting is in order. I know what functional movements I want to work on, but I don't know what weights to start with. I know what my maxes were from before... do I start with a percentage of that? Maybe that's a question for the MFP world.

Anyway - welcome to my new journal. I hope you'll stick around for a while.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Well, how close did you get to being 100 years old?
    The Champagne of Beards

Norajane718 is offline Member
    Hi There! I enjoyed reading your journal. I like your attitude and that is a really important start for your goals. Good luck with your 30 day reset. I'm sure you'll start feeling better soon.

I also suffer from some digestion issues, but have learned some things along the way and have them under control most of the time.

Do you eat dairy? I only ask because when I eat dairy, I seem to have problems with phlegm and having to clear my throat a lot.

I look forward to reading more and seeing how your journey is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Quote Originally Posted by RichMahogany View Post
    Well, how close did you get to being 100 years old?
    I'm not sure I understand your question. I can't tell if you're asking my age or if you're being condescending...

Quote Originally Posted by Norajane718 View Post
    Hi There! I enjoyed reading your journal. I like your attitude and that is a really important start for your goals. Good luck with your 30 day reset. I'm sure you'll start feeling better soon.

I also suffer from some digestion issues, but have learned some things along the way and have them under control most of the time.

Do you eat dairy? I only ask because when I eat dairy, I seem to have problems with phlegm and having to clear my throat a lot.

I look forward to reading more and seeing how your journey is going.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum
    Thanks. I'm quite excited about getting back to it and have contemplated starting Sunday rather than Monday. Monday might be best as I'll be away from all the temptations at home. Since my husband won't be joining me until the 11th, there'll still be some snacks in the house that I'll have to avoid.

I do know dairy is an issue for me. Usually, though, it's not such a bother that I feel the need to avoid it completely. The symptoms are generally quite mild, but recently they've really flared up. I had thought about sticking with Primal for a bit and then doing a Whole30, but because of the flare up, I definitely think a full blown Whole30 is necessary.

Thanks for the well wishes.

RichMahogany is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post
    I'm not sure I understand your question. I can't tell if you're asking my age or if you're being condescending...
    Just making a joke. You'll set a PR towards your goal every day, so that's nice.
    The Champagne of Beards

Got ya... You never can tell what anyone really means online... since you asked: today is 35 years and 20 days.

namelesswonder is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back, Jenn. As always, looking forward to reading about your progress! You should post your workouts in the fitness forum
    Journal
    Current interests - CrossFit

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I have something planned, I just might. I'll probably just do Standard Strength again. I had great results with that the last time.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast