Thread: One day....... is now! page

Thistle is offline Junior Member

One day....... is now!

Shop Now
    New Year, new journal.

I have decided it's time to start a journal. I have been around MDA for 20 months or so and in that time I have learnt a lot about nutrition and fitness. I've had some successful periods where I've felt great (better than I've felt in years) but then also had periods where I've started slipping and headed back towards the old mind set and the old way of eating. I'm currently on a backward slide and starting to feel unhealthy, unfit and out of sorts. So time to sort myself out and put into practice in 2015 all that I have learned.

Ok, for anyone who happens by this journal, a bit about me. I'm 48, female, wife and mother of three teenagers, work part time in a desk job and live in Scotland. As a family we have given up legumes (beans, lentils etc - not a hardship at all), have cut out all processed oils and most processed foods. I try not to eat grains at all, but hubby still insists on his daily oats. The kids struggle with a no grains approach. Exercise wise, I do yoga a couple of times a week and walk a bit but I feel I should be doing more. I used to run and play tennis but after tearing both calf muscles (on separate occasions) I've not felt confident to do anything more. I'm about 30 lbs overweight and while I lost over 10lbs when I first went primal in 2013 it's since crept back on.

So what's the plan of action? I have a final family holiday event tomorrow but after that it's back on the straight and narrow - no grains, no alcohol and no excuses! I know from past experience that I feel better without dairy but at the moment I think that it might be a step too far to give up my coffee and cream. I'm also going to be more consistent taking my supplements again. It's not until I stop them that I realise that they were actually helping. I'm also going to charge up my fitbit and use that as motivation to get moving.

But first off - it's time to clear out the cupboards of all that Christmas junk!

MistiSB is offline Member
    best of luck to you! i also previously lost some weight on this plan (last spring) leading up to my wedding, but fell off after the wedding was over. excited to get back, especially knowing that i'll feel so much better!
    my husband is definitely struggling with the whole grain thing - he loves bread and pasta. i make him regular pasta when i have spaghetti squash...and keep bread around for him. what a temptation! i try to look at grains and just label them as a headache and tummy ache waiting to happen

Thanks for stopping by MistiB. It's good to know that you're not alone on this journey when your family is not fully on board.

Well I went to the family thing yesterday and had a great time. Food was not optimum but it never is at the in-laws. I took things so not to offend (it is New Year after all) but that's the last of pandering to everyone else. Now it's time to set my own rules.

Ok, I took the plunge and weighed myself. As I feared I'm at my heaviest since records began (well online records anyway). I looked up my fitbit account and my starting weight in March 2012 was 162 lbs. I'm now 173lbs. Nooo, I've not been this weight since 2003! My body fat is 40.6 % per the online calculator I use. I know it may not be accurate but the scales I have are showing 45.7% which to me is utterly nonsense so I'll use the lower one. It's only a reference anyway. I'm will record my weight and other measurements every Sunday but no more.

I also charged up my fitbit so I need to make use of this again. My SIL got one just before Xmas so hopefully we can motivate each other. I definitely need to find ways of moving more.

I also have a MyFitnessPal account which I have used to log food in the past but not sure whether I will start using it again. I hate counting calories - too OCD'ish for me - so I'll maybe just leave that for now. Best to concentrate on getting the general food habits right rather than worrying about calories and macros. If I try and do everything at once it just ends up a disaster and do none of it.

OK SIL has sent me her email address so away to befriend her on the fitbit website before I go out for a walk. It's not raining today - yeah!

It's just about the end of day 1.

On the upside, I had no grains, no alcohol and no excuse was required. Remembered to take my Vit D capsules and I also managed 10,000 steps.

On the downside I have had acid reflux all day. I've had some gas issues since turning primal, mainly burping, but over the past couple of weeks I've noticed some acid burn as well. Hoping the switch back to better eating resolves this as it's rather unpleasant. Also hoping the water retention and stomach bloating subsides. My No.1 D calls my stomach my secret baby - I honestly look 5 months pregnant.

Think I may have an Epsom salt bath and then get an early night for once. Work and school starts back for us all tomorrow

Day 3

Felt pretty rubbish yesterday. Low carb flu? The burping was still there but the acid reflux was not as bad. Remembered my Vit D and managed over 8k of steps.

Today was better. The burping is receding (no acid reflux) and I felt more alert. Have done over 12k steps today as I went for a walk around town after work. Feet are a bit sore. The annoying thing is I'm starving. I don't think I ate enough during the day and now I'm craving junk but have not succumbed to anything too bad- well a couple of squares of dark (85% Lindt) chocolate. Also had an extra decaf coffee with cream to see if that will take the edge off.

Decided to sign up for the 21 day challenge - I'm doing the food part anyway so maybe it will help me do some more exercise. I normally do yoga a couple of times a week but have been off for the holiday season. I intend to get back to it on Friday. To be honest I've not done much exercise except for yoga over the last year or so. Yoga is more demanding that I thought it would be. I do hatha yoga so there's more emphasis on holding postures. I do feel I have gotten stronger over time but it's a slow process. I added in a second class last summer and that definitely made a difference. I would love to be able to do a headstand but I think that is a long way off - need to lose the extra pounds for a start.

Anyway feeling quite shattered so will have an earlier night again ie pre midnight! - definitely need to sort my sleep out!

happyhel is offline Senior Member
    Suscribing!

From the north east of England...We can share shopping deals lol.

I'm pregnant and had horrific acid reflux for a while. Only probiotic yoghurt and crazy crazy amounts of water got rid of it for me.

Good luck with the challenge xx

Well I didn't last long with my journal did I? Anyway I've decided to post again.

What's happened over the last three months. In Jan my Uncle died due to liver failure. The doctor's were unsure of the cause although they mentioned an overload of antibiotics for a previous prostrate problem. Anyway it hit my mum quite hard. As I live 3 hours away I spent a great deal of January on the phone listening to my mum being upset about my Uncle and the goings on between my cousins and his second wife and her family. To be honest at the end of January I was absolutely drained.

February is my busiest month of the year at work and so that month I was basically working full time so not much time to recover from January. Plus we've had a lot of windy weather and I just don't do well in the wind. Our house is very exposed (we have a great view tho!) and has had a lot of storm damage over the years. As a result my tolerance of windy weather is very low.

March was better. I've been getting to bed earlier on more occasions, watching less TV and eating better. I've been feeling a lot calmer, although I still feel pretty tired with not much energy. I'm still feeling quite bloated and still have my large stomach. I've decided to start up my water kefir again. It's still settling in but hopefully this brew should be good to go. Hoping it will help the stomach and all the wind and burping that goes with it.

Happyhel, thanks for stopping by all those months ago. Hope all is well with you.

Green~Tara is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi there, I am fairly new here and just wanted to pop in and say hi. I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your Uncle. I look forward to reading more of your journal from time to time - best wishes.