Thread: Evolution of Akrasia? page

PrimalBeast is offline Junior Member

Evolution of Akrasia?

Shop Now
    Ever since I read the Primal Blueprint and came across the concept of Akrasia I have been fascinated. So I started doing some research. Aristotle goes into great depth about this subject and pleasure. I have been wracking my brain at why I make the horrible choices I make about alcohol and food. I think I have a viable theory...

It's all about survival. Back when humans were starting to evolve pleasure got them warm. Pleasure made them want to eat. Made them want to have sex. A lot like it is today. The only difference is that for the last 10000 years our lives have progessively gotten much easier. My lizard brain does not know that the poison that is alcohol is horrible for the rest of my body and the pleasure is so great from the high alcohol gives me it now becomes a matter of survival to my psyche. The same goes with all other drugs and food; especially the bad sweet and salty foods.

So, my challenge to myself this year is to keep researching akrasia and pleasure. Also, I challenge myself to recognize when I am harming my body with poor food and beverage choices.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    I like your theory and I agree that at one time pleasure was a reliable indicator of what would be good for us. Like you said life has gotten much easier and pleasurable foods are ubiquitous, so now we have use our higher brain (and will power) to go against our natural instincts, to stop consuming things that are bad for us. I think if you can take a break from the bad stuff (in this case alcohol and processed foods) long enough and instead eat tasty whole foods when you try those things that are bad for you again, you may find that your taste has changed, and they are no longer as attractive as they were. With respect to alcohol you may find that you can't drink as much w/o having ill effects. The key is to take a long enough break, like a reset.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

PrimalBeast is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Thanks UF a reset is the plan and to start making better choices using my higher brain

Sent from my SM-N900P using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app