Thread: Anyone does grappling? (Or any martial arts for that matter) page

my_second Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Hi y'all! I was wondering if anybody here does any kind of martial arts? What kind of workouts do you do? Have eating Primal made any difference with your training performance?

I do BJJ, and I just take my BJJ sessions as my "sprint" sessions, since it's a lot of explosive movements anyways. I don't really do much weight training, although I probably should. Other than that, I do walks in the park twice a week for 1 hr each for the last month.

I've been primal for a bit more than a month, and a few things have changed. I have a bit more stamina; I usually gas out after 2 rounds of intense rolling, now I can go for 3 before getting gassed. This one might just be me, but it seems I have a somewhat higher tolerance of pain; now I have a bit more time to wriggle out of submissions. I used to tap out pretty quick, especially from chokes.

Any other martial arts fan out there?

PattySt Guest

I don't do martial arts, although my son does Shudokan Karate. I do CrossFit and there are TONS of martial arts practioners (BJJ, MMA, Kenpo, etc) that use CrossFit for training. Check it out at www.crossfit.com

Peace

Clint is offline Senior Member

I practice and teach MA. Primal fits right into the MA lifestyle. For me, going Primal actually REDUCED my workouts by time and volume. This leaves me with more time and energy for practice.

my_second Guest

Clint, care to explain what did you meant by reducing your workout time and volume? That would be awesome...

Clint is offline Senior Member

I used to work out fairly intense 6 days a week on top of my MA practice. Each workout would last approximately 45-60 min.

Now, my workouts are more intense but only 3 days a week tops. All except one of my workouts only lasts 20 minutes. The one exception lasts 30 min. My workouts are also randomized so I don't know what, exactly, I'm doing that day. This makes it even more fun!

Barney Rubble Guest

I do MA also. Aiki Jitsu. I was finding that my conditioning was fine but definitely burning out. As a parent and a full time job my only time for WO beyond Aiki was in the morning for 30-45 minutes, I alternated Body weight circuits, weight and HIIT, then 3 day a week MA Training. It is rough on a 50 year old body, lots of sprains strains and general soreness, although I could typically spar without gassing out.If you read my journal (Barney Rubble) I am trying to cut down a little on the cardio using 1 HIIT day and Body weight circuit as cardio.. Probably get enough at the Dojo on top of that. The time I freed up I am putting to good use practicing KATA as low level work outs vs walking. I am hoping I dont lose stamina. For Weight training I use the Pavel Tsatsalone method cycling Low reps/low weight and cycle up although I do a few more exercises than his recommended 2. Check "Fitness Black Book.com" for more info on Pavel. Typically WO last about 30-45 minutes and I am not "Spent" but feel "Energized" if that makes sense. If I could free more time and not be as sore boy would I be happy. Also since learning that Diet is 80% of the issue I am trying to clean that up a little by going more primal. If I could lose 10 more #'s I would be at the weight I wrestled at in HS and college 30 years ago. WOW. I am new to this game to so I am putting my trust in Mark S,