Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Research - Paleo BAD!

Research - Paleo BAD!

Shop Now
    What do you guys think of this:

Paleo Diets May Negate Benefits of Exercise | NutritionFacts.org

Basically some doctor refuting paleo and citing several studies... I feel confused.

Vegan quack who still believes LDL is the root of all evil.
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

This should clear up any confusion on him or his website. Pure vegan propaganda.

HumaneWatch | HSUS Doc Exposed as Schlock

He's pretty buff for a vegan. Bet he can do 3 pushups like it's nothing.

Okay, I thought it only fair to listen to at least part of that before I hit the submit reply button. It's the same old same old, except that entertainingly, he sounds drunk. Did he recommend eating vegetarians?

So, his focus is on insulin. Meh. Anyone who thinks a bowl of pasta is better for health than a naked burger is not anyone to whom I can listen for more than a few moments.

From my tragically unscientific POV, I wonder how Paleo can be bad. Putting aside the carb wars for a bit, what is unhealthy about Paleo? Why are there some people so adamantly against it?

The recommendation to avoid wheat and other grains? Even if you don't "believe" in anti-nutrients, or you think GMO is just fine and dandy, you only need to put most grains into a food tracker to see how little they contribute to overall health. So, even if Paleo is dead wrong about grains being bad, they're not anything special, and no one is going to die or become unhealthy from excluding them.

The recommendation to eat healthfully grown animals? Most of the people on this board know that when you screw with the hormones of humans, it can affect almost everything from sleep to energy to sexual function to weight. Still, there are a lot of people who think it's just fine to eat beef and dairy from animals that receive artificial hormones.

For the other major sources of US protein (fish, fowl, pig (and cattle)) there is the issue of sub-therapeutic antibiotics. This is when you give the animal antibiotics on a regular basis to prevent them from getting sick rather than when they get sick. Superbugs are written about as being the result of over-prescribing antibiotics, and that might be a factor, but so might it be the consumption of antibiotics in the food supply.

I don't know about anyone else, but I've never seen a legitimate "how-to" on Paleo or Primal declare that plants are unhealthy. While many individuals are fine with a meat/fish-centric diet, most of the gurus pretty much preach balance.

Here's how most of the anti-paleo propaganda goes: They only eat meat! They're liars because we can't duplicate what was eaten during the Paleolithic Era! Here, have some whole grain bread - it's what we recommended in the 1970s, and we're too macho to back down.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

I liked the video.

There wasn't really any misinformation going on, it was pretty spot on.

That being said the two possible qualms are of course how it was titled...paleo diet negates the benefits of exercise >> AS IT PERTAINS TO CHOLESTEROL << Last time i checked the main reason people exercised was not to lower their cholesterol, and then there is a whole philosophy which may or may not be correct around even the limited point they made.

Important take aways -> insulin levels are strongly affected by proteins, not just carbs
    ->Paleo as they practiced it raised LDL and lowered HDL when accompanied by HIT crossfit

Possible questions-> How well was the study done?
    -> What kind of diet did they consider paleo? (Fish and veggies vs cheese and bacon)
    -> What kind of exercise was being done? (When I hear crossfit I think overtraining)

This should help your questions about the doc

Feb 15 2013
    HSUS Doc Exposed as Schlock
    "He has released a series of video lectures called “Latest in Clinical Nutrition” that serve as a sounding board for Greger to cherry pick studies and shill for veganism. HSUS allows its logo to be on the DVDs, so it wouldn’t surprise us if the organization paid for the production entirely.

Greger’s moved from low-budget DVDs to starting a flashy website called “Nutrition Facts.” Despite the seemingly nonpartisan branding, “Nutrition Facts” until last year was called the “Vegan Research Institute,” so that should tell you what you need to know about the agenda of the site. Whatever Greger calls his project, debunking him simply requires going through the minutiae of the studies he cites. It’s a laborious task, but thankfully someone has done it for us.

Over at Science Based Medicine, a website run by doctors with an eye towards promoting high standards in medicine and research, editor and former Air Force colonel Dr. Harriet Hall takes a hard look at a Greger video recommended to her by a vegan activist. You can read her full analysis, but she finds a number of examples of Greger ludicrously citing research. For example, one study Greger cites as showing that "plant-based" diets protect against kidney failure actually indicates that low-fat dairy products are also protective. The devil is in the details, but Greger is in the business of making overly broad statements that fit his narrative.

Hall summarizes Greger’s formula rather well:

These videos tend to fall into an easily recognizable pattern. They feature a charismatic scientist with an agenda who makes sweeping statements that go beyond the evidence, makes unwarranted assumptions about the meaning of studies, and omits any reference to contradictory evidence.

And she also calls out Greger’s laughable rhetoric:

[Greger] compares raw meat to hand grenades, because of bacterial contamination. If you don’t handle them safely, it’s like pulling the pin. Are we selling hand grenades in grocery stores? This is a ridiculous comparison, and it ignores the fact that plant-based foods can be a source of contamination too.

Interesting point. A recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that leafy green vegetables are the number one source of food poisoning. About half of food poisonings are attributable to produce. Somehow, we can’t find this news on the “Nutrition Facts” blog. We’re shocked.

Greger's by no means the only wolf in sheep's clothing we've seen, by the way. Just check out the so-called "Physicians Commitee" for "Responsible Medicine" for more.

When Greger’s propaganda is filtered through calm, reasoned medical experts who are focused on impartially evaluating evidence, it falls apart. He’s a snake oil salesman for an ideology, and it seems he’ll twist research to push his agenda. In that way, he’s a perfect fit for HSUS.

PS
    Don't forget to play!

Quote Originally Posted by Dirlot View Post
    This should help your questions about the doc

Feb 15 2013
    HSUS Doc Exposed as Schlock
    "He has released a series of video lectures called “Latest in Clinical Nutrition” that serve as a sounding board for Greger to cherry pick studies and shill for veganism. HSUS allows its logo to be on the DVDs, so it wouldn’t surprise us if the organization paid for the production entirely.

Greger’s moved from low-budget DVDs to starting a flashy website called “Nutrition Facts.” Despite the seemingly nonpartisan branding, “Nutrition Facts” until last year was called the “Vegan Research Institute,” so that should tell you what you need to know about the agenda of the site. Whatever Greger calls his project, debunking him simply requires going through the minutiae of the studies he cites. It’s a laborious task, but thankfully someone has done it for us.

Over at Science Based Medicine, a website run by doctors with an eye towards promoting high standards in medicine and research, editor and former Air Force colonel Dr. Harriet Hall takes a hard look at a Greger video recommended to her by a vegan activist. You can read her full analysis, but she finds a number of examples of Greger ludicrously citing research. For example, one study Greger cites as showing that "plant-based" diets protect against kidney failure actually indicates that low-fat dairy products are also protective. The devil is in the details, but Greger is in the business of making overly broad statements that fit his narrative.

Hall summarizes Greger’s formula rather well:

These videos tend to fall into an easily recognizable pattern. They feature a charismatic scientist with an agenda who makes sweeping statements that go beyond the evidence, makes unwarranted assumptions about the meaning of studies, and omits any reference to contradictory evidence.

And she also calls out Greger’s laughable rhetoric:

[Greger] compares raw meat to hand grenades, because of bacterial contamination. If you don’t handle them safely, it’s like pulling the pin. Are we selling hand grenades in grocery stores? This is a ridiculous comparison, and it ignores the fact that plant-based foods can be a source of contamination too.

Interesting point. A recent study from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention found that leafy green vegetables are the number one source of food poisoning. About half of food poisonings are attributable to produce. Somehow, we can’t find this news on the “Nutrition Facts” blog. We’re shocked.

Greger's by no means the only wolf in sheep's clothing we've seen, by the way. Just check out the so-called "Physicians Commitee" for "Responsible Medicine" for more.

When Greger’s propaganda is filtered through calm, reasoned medical experts who are focused on impartially evaluating evidence, it falls apart. He’s a snake oil salesman for an ideology, and it seems he’ll twist research to push his agenda. In that way, he’s a perfect fit for HSUS.

Somehow this didn't surprise me.
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Yup!
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Shop Now
    Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I don't see a "search" field to go to the right forum, so here it is (I'm new here--first post).
    I've seen over and over where colorectal cancer (#2 cancer killer in America) is correlated with high-fat diets. I'm trying to make sense out of the whole diet debate, and this has been bothering me (I'm doing high-fat/low carb/all organic/grass-fed, etc. now). Can someone tell me something about or refer me to a discussion of this possible high-fat cancer connection. Thanks